Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
bbor
Pro Starter

Canada....Group sex capital of the world

Glad i never got arrested before this case was done.

OTTAWA - Group sex among consenting adults is neither prostitution nor a threat to society, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Wednesday as it lifted a ban on so-called “swingers” clubs.

In a ruling that radically changes the way courts determine what poses a threat to the population, the top court threw out the conviction of a Montreal man who ran a club where members could have group sex in a private room behind locked doors.

“Consensual conduct behind code-locked doors can hardly be supposed to jeopardize a society as vigorous and tolerant as Canadian society,” said the opinion of the seven-to-two majority, written by Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin.

The decision does not affect laws against prostitution because no money changed hands among the adults having sex.

‘Bawdy house’ proprietor's appeal
The court was reviewing an appeal by Jean-Paul Labaye, who ran the L’Orage (Thunderstorm) club. He had been convicted in 1999 of running a “bawdy house” — defined as a place where prostitution or acts of public indecency took place.

Labaye — who is still running L’Orage despite his earlier conviction — said he was relieved, and would now go ahead with a new venture with backing from a group of Florida investors.

“We hope clients will be more calm. This will probably lead the way to a good future,” he told reporters, saying he was looking at adding a Jacuzzi and a swimming pool.

Labaye said he had about 2,000 regular clients who paid around $20 ($17 U.S.) a year for a membership card.

Lawyers for Labaye and the owner of another swingers’ club in Montreal argued that consensual sex among groups of adults behind closed doors was neither indecent or a risk to society.

The Supreme Court judges agreed.

“Criminal indecency or obscenity must rest on actual harm or a significant risk of harm to individuals or society. The Crown failed to establish this essential element of the offense. (Its) case must therefore fail,” McLachlin wrote.

In indecency cases, Canadian courts have traditionally probed whether the acts in question “breached the rules of conduct necessary for the proper functioning of society”. The Supreme Court ruled that from now on, judges should pay more attention to whether society would be actively harmed.

Deviant, maybe, but not dangerous
This seemed to ensure there could be no repeat of Labaye’s original conviction for causing “social harm” by allowing degrading and dehumanizing group sex to take place.

The judges said that just because most Canadians might disapprove of swingers’ clubs, this did not necessarily mean the establishments were socially dangerous.

“The causal link between images of sexuality and anti-social behavior cannot be assumed. Attitudes in themselves are not crimes, however deviant they may be or disgusting they may appear,” the judges said, noting that no one had been pressured to have sex or had paid for sex in the cases the court considered.

“The autonomy and liberty of members of the public was not affected by unwanted confrontation with the sexual activity in question ... only those already disposed to this sort of sexual activity were allowed to participate and watch,” they said.

They also dismissed the idea — raised during Labaye’s original trial — that group sex was dangerous because it could result in the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

“Sex that is not indecent can transmit disease while indecent sex might not,” they ruled.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

another victim of the bang bus
Old 12-21-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Vigorous.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well done, Canada. Well done.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Koryo
n00b

Canada is a capital?
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
“Sex that is not indecent can transmit disease while indecent sex might not,” they ruled.

I've read this a few times and still don't understand it. Must be Thursday morning crap.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I've read this a few times and still don't understand it. Must be Thursday morning crap.

It took me about 10 times to figure it out. Here is my take.

At trial, the prosecutor appears to have said that one reason there should be a law against "bawdy houses" (I love that phrase: "bbor's Bodacious Bawdy House" has just such a nice ring to it) that group sex is dangerous (indecent) because it could lead to sexually transmitted dieases.

The court, in reply, said that any time people have sex, whether in a group (indecent) or between two people (allegedly decent sex), there is a risk of transmitting sexual diseases. So claiming that group sex was dangerous because it could result in the spread of sexually transmitted diseases - and therefore should be outlawed - fails because based on that rationale all sex should be outlawed.

I have no idea if that clears things up. At all...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I see now. That makes sense. Thanks!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Vigorous.
Yeah, I'm trying to understand what a "vigorous" society is. Particularly in relation to being tolerant. Are those just code words for "we like to fuck freely, so there's no way in hell I'm declaring a group sex club most of us frequent to be illegal?"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-22-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

(I love that phrase: "bbor's Bodacious Bawdy House" has just such a nice ring to it)

So that was you in the Klima jersey with the buttless chaps at my last party.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I never understood the whole group sex deal. Must be a Canadian thing.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
So that was you in the Klima jersey with the buttless chaps at my last party.

HEH!!!

The ladies love the Klima jersey and chaps, what can I say?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I never understood the whole group sex deal. Must be a Canadian thing.
I'm Canadian, and I gotta say I don't get it either. Honestly, it's probably more of a Quebec thing
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
another victim of the bang bus

What the hell is that? I have an idea, but I'd like an explaination.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #15
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

No, you really don't.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #16
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Is this the bang bus?

No...it's Iowa.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #17
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I'm Canadian, and I gotta say I don't get it either. Honestly, it's probably more of a Quebec thing

ding, ding, ding, ding!
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #18
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

Google Bang Bus and you will find what he is talking about. Or add a ".com" at the end of it. WARNING, DO NOT DO EITHER AT WORK.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote