Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Huckleberry
College Starter

International Soccer Ratings

Coming soon. An objective ratings set of international soccer squads. The ratings set will consist of matches from the last 6 years. Ratings will be based on the following:

1.) Win, loss, or draw
2.) Margin of win or loss
3.) Location of match
4.) Time since match was played
5.) Competition match belonged to

If you'll recall - or, rather, even though you don't recall - it was almost a year ago that I published a European Club Ratings set. Nobody volunteered to help me keep up with score gathering, so I said f it. This should be easier to stay on top of thanks to the fact that somebody else already does it and publishes the scores.

No whining when the USA mysteriously appears in the #1 position.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

The only problem with a rating like this is that in friendlies a squad may not play their best. Just an observation, I know that there it not really any way to control that though.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Huckleberry
College Starter

Correct. Friendlies are weighted lower than all other matches. And, of course, only matches published as being between the "A" sides from both nations are used.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

One thing I do not notice is a 'strength of schedule' indicator, which I think would be extremely useful. The competition for the match is important, but a 2-1 win over England in WC qualifying should count more than a 3-0 win over Andorra IMO.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

Yeah, I didn't explicitly list that, but these ratings are based on an MLE algorithm. The link in my signature will show you other ratings sets. Hopefully that can convince you that who the result came against is clearly included.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Huckleberry
College Starter

Here is the first release.

I just plugged some numbers in for competition weighting and also haven't really studied the effects of some of my game scoring choices. Here are some details on what I used to start out:

Competition Weights:

World Cup - 100
A Tournament - 95
B Tournament - 90
C Tournament - 80
Friendly - 70

Note that qualification stages for a competition are considered as fully part of the competition.

Game Scoring:

As with many ratings systems, there is basically one point up for grabs in each match. Here's how they break down right now:

Neutral site win ranges from .75 to 1.0 points based on the score.
Neutral site draw is .5 points for each team.
Neutral site loss ranges from 0 to .25 points.
Home win ranges from .67 to 1.0 points.
Home draw is worth .44 points.
Home loss ranges form 0 to .17 points.
Road win ranges from .83 to 1.0 points.
Road draw is worth .56 points.
Road loss ranges from 0 to .33 points.

The time weighting factor is based on the following graph. The x-axis is the week of the competition starting with week 1 through week 314 (6 years):

Remember that this whole system is one day's work. I decided to do it this morning. I only picked 6 years because that's what was readily available. Perhaps a different time frame would work better. I'll be taking a look at the weights I used and any ideas are welcome.

Also note that now non-existent nations are on there. It will be easier to just let them fade away once they don't have any matches left within the chosen time frame. Yugoslavia, for example. It's still interesting, IMO, to see where they are. What will happen, though, is that they will move toward the average team in the ratings set as their matches' time weights move to 0.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Yeah, I didn't explicitly list that, but these ratings are based on an MLE algorithm. The link in my signature will show you other ratings sets. Hopefully that can convince you that who the result came against is clearly included.

Good deal. I hadn't checked your links and other polls out when I posted earlier
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Just my two cents: eliminate friendlies entirely. It's basically pointless to factor those games in. It's just as smart as using NFL pre-season games in a power ranking system.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Just my two cents: eliminate friendlies entirely. It's basically pointless to factor those games in. It's just as smart as using NFL pre-season games in a power ranking system.
For comparison, here are two rankings sets. The first is with the above weights, the second is with:

WC100
A Tournament80
B Tournament60
C Tournament50

and friendlies not used:

RankTeamRating
1Netherlands90.60
2France90.28
3Argentina89.98
4Brazil88.64
5Czech Republic88.41
6England88.33
7Ireland88.08
8Spain88.00
9Italy87.74
10Germany87.25
11Portugal86.43
12Denmark86.20
13Sweden85.00
14Turkey83.74
15Croatia83.57
16Belgium83.44
17United States82.98
18Colombia82.93
19Cameroon82.85
20Romania82.13
21Russia81.71
22Yugoslavia81.66
23Uruguay81.66
24Nigeria81.40
25Mexico81.06

RankTeamRating
1Germany93.75
2Argentina91.84
3England91.62
4Italy91.16
5Spain91.10
6France90.97
7Netherlands90.59
8Brazil90.53
9Ireland90.00
10Portugal89.37
11Turkey88.66
12Sweden87.31
13Czech Republic86.99
14Yugoslavia86.66
15United States86.02
16Costa Rica85.68
17Denmark85.60
18Croatia85.32
19Mexico84.83
20Russia83.82
21Belgium83.71
22Colombia83.49
23Cameroon83.47
24Japan82.80
25Senegal82.19

Last edited by Huckleberry : 12-16-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Interesting change of rankings. Germany moving up to first is puzzling to me, but if your numbers support it, then it must be realistic.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Perhaps there is such a big discrepancy with Germany's rankings since they did not have to go through the World Cup qualifiers.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Maybe, but Germany really, really, sucked in Euro 2004 qualification and the final round.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

With no friendlies Germany obviously has a limited number of games included. The Confederations Cup was more recent than Euro 2004 and they performed better at that competition, of course. Even when home games are taken into account.

And here are the rankings I think I'll probably settle on. Weights are 100, 90, 75, 60, 30:

1Netherlands98.997
2Argentina98.982
3France98.233
4England98.074
5Brazil97.574
6Spain97.514
7Italy97.434
8Ireland96.810
9Czech Republic96.478
10Germany96.332
11Portugal95.219
12Denmark94.870
13Sweden94.848
14Turkey94.563
15Croatia93.199
16Cameroon92.936
17United States92.909
18Belgium92.868
19Yugoslavia92.464
20Colombia92.137
21Russia91.927
22Mexico91.340
23Nigeria91.068
24Romania91.061
25Costa Rica90.891

Last edited by Huckleberry : 12-16-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
AlexB
Pro Starter

This is an excellent example of how no-one knows how good the CONCACAF two and African countries actually are, as generally they don't play the strongest opposition. So while Americans see themselves beating the hghly ranked Mexicans (who themselves see Mexico ranked as one of the best teams in the world) and the Europeans look at USA/Mexico as decent but not great sides, the fact is there is little to compare to CONCACAF/Africa to Europe/S.America.

From a European point of view your rankings look generally better than FIFA's (Although I'm surprised Brazil are so low) but I imagine North Americans will see this as inaccurate. It'll be interesting to see in June where USA/Mexico fit into world football...

Last edited by AlexB : 12-16-2005 at 10:05 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #15
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
For comparison, here are two rankings sets. The first is with the above weights, the second is with:

WC100
A Tournament80
B Tournament60
C Tournament50
Just what are "A", "B", and "C" tournaments? If, e.g., you classify the Gold Cup as a "C" tournament and the European Championships as an "A" tournament, that's a huge handicap to CONCACAF teams, without necessarily sufficient justification for it.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 12-16-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

6 Spain
I hope the gods of football can hear you. My country is always high rated, the Spanish La liga is probably the best clubs competion in the world (along with Italy and UK), and then when we play in a big international teams competition... we suck. Probably our big stars care way more about their club who pays them that about the national team, but it's really frustrating.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #17
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
Just what are "A", "B", and "C" tournaments? If, e.g., you classify the Gold Cup as a "C" tournament and the European Championships as an "A" tournament, that's a huge handicap to CONCACAF teams, without necessarily sufficient justification for it.

I think there's a misunderstanding regarding the weights. Even if I had done what you hypothesize above, it wouldn't have the effect you're thinking it would. The weights tell the system how certain it can be that the result indicates true strength.

For example, Brazil beating Germany 2-0 in the World Cup tells the system that it can be X amount certain that Brazil is better than Germany. If Brazil were to beat Germany 2-0 in a friendly, I have allowed the system to be .3X amount certain that Brazil is better than Germany.

The results of the CONCACAF Gold Cup have no bearing on the CONCACAF teams' placement in the rankings relative to UEFA teams. Unless a UEFA team participates.

Here are some A, B, and C tournaments:

A Tournaments:
European Championship
African Nations' Cup
Asian Cup
CONCACAF Gold Cup
Confederations Cup
Copa America
Oceania Cup

B Tournaments:
Arab Cup
Asian Games
CECAFA Cup
CEMAC Cup
COSAFA Cup
Tiger Cup
U.S. Cup

C Tournaments:
Amilcar Cabral Cup
Cyprus Tournament
Iran Tournament
Kirin Cup
Merdeka Tournament
Tournoi de France

Old 12-16-2005, 11:35 AM   #18
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
6 Spain
I hope the gods of football can hear you. My country is always high rated, the Spanish La liga is probably the best clubs competion in the world (along with Italy and UK), and then when we play in a big international teams competition... we suck. Probably our big stars care way more about their club who pays them that about the national team, but it's really frustrating.

The problem is that we have not really big stars. In the Real are Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham. In the Barsa the stars are Ronaldinho, Etoo Messi. The best national players of these two teams (Raul and Xavi) have long term injuries, so they will suffer to be 100% at Germany.

We have problems creating good situations of goal (Xavi is great, but the others...) and we have problems with the Strikers (Morientes, Villa...)

I think we have a good team but no a great team.
Great teams can be German (just they play home), Netherlands has a good group too, France, England. For me Spain is a step behind. Of course in 1 game competition all can happens (ask Greece) but I don't bet in Spain.

And then itīs Brazil. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Kaka, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Juninho Pernambucano...... Hell. They have 2 great teams
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #19
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
The problem is that we have not really big stars. In the Real are Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham. In the Barsa the stars are Ronaldinho, Etoo Messi. The best national players of these two teams (Raul and Xavi) have long term injuries, so they will suffer to be 100% at Germany.

We have problems creating good situations of goal (Xavi is great, but the others...) and we have problems with the Strikers (Morientes, Villa...)

I think we have a good team but no a great team.
Great teams can be German (just they play home), Netherlands has a good group too, France, England. For me Spain is a step behind. Of course in 1 game competition all can happens (ask Greece) but I don't bet in Spain.

And then itīs Brazil. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Kaka, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Juninho Pernambucano...... Hell. They have 2 great teams

Agree, as the best international stars come to play in our league, that is closing the doors to the Spanish young players and damaging our future.
Btw, how is going life? long time we don't chat
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday

You consider the Gold cup as an "A?" it's pretty much a tune-up for teams.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #21
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

While Arena does use it for player evaluation, he's also on record as considering it to be an important tournament for the U.S. to win, being our continental championship.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote