Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #51
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
Sounds fair to me. Anyone else? And who will commish this (I can provide webspace, but have no experience in being a commish)

I would like to volunteer to be a commish for this possible league. If someone could help with logos for a webpage (HA?), it would be all good. I am only using 1/10th of my allotted bandwidth for my FOF league and have plenty of disk space, so it could work on my end.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #52
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I would like to volunteer to be a commish for this possible league. If someone could help with logos for a webpage (HA?), it would be all good. I am only using 1/10th of my allotted bandwidth for my FOF league and have plenty of disk space, so it could work on my end.

I'm cool with that.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #53
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So here's a question...what should the 'level' prestige be? I say it should be 0, and we all try to work our way up to powerhouses, rather than 50, and we work our way up or down. Some tests might help us decide which is better, though. If no one else does, I'll work on it when I ever have time to get the damn game!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #54
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
If someone could help with logos for a webpage (HA?), it would be all good.

oh, and you know this.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #55
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
So here's a question...what should the 'level' prestige be? I say it should be 0, and we all try to work our way up to powerhouses, rather than 50, and we work our way up or down. Some tests might help us decide which is better, though. If no one else does, I'll work on it when I ever have time to get the damn game!

my opinion is if you start at 0, there's nowhere to go but up, but if you start at 50 prestige, then there's that clear indicator of what teams are on the up and up and which teams are shitting themselves.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #56
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I just talked to Arlie. Zero definitely will not work. Only 1 and 2 star recruits would ever, ever commit. Higher-level recruits have a minimum prestige that they'll accept. I asked what he'd recommend, and he said that we would "probably" be ok setting everyone at 55, but he needed to check and make sure.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #57
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Only 1 and 2 star recruits would ever, ever commit.

Depending on the direction we want the league to take, that may not be a problem.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #58
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Depending on the direction we want the league to take, that may not be a problem.
I would think it would. I don't think there are enough 1-2 star recruits to fill up every team. We'd have teams with dozens of walk-ons, I think. Let me go check the game for a sec...
Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #59
Ben E Lou

There would be enough to fill up every team, but just barely. I'd almost guarantee that there'd be major issues at some positions, though, with not enough players.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #60
Ben E Lou

OK...more from Arlie on the 0-prestige idea, cut and pasted with his permission:

Quote:
Arlie says:
I agree 100%
Ben Lewis says:

Ben Lewis says:
i knew you were a bright kid
Ben Lewis says:
hey...remind me what the max prestige gain in a season is...we're talking about playing an everyone-at-the-same-prestige league
Ben Lewis says:
is it liek 5?
Arlie says:
probably 3-4
Ben Lewis says:
even if you were at zero?
Arlie says:
Oh
Ben Lewis says:
(which has been brought up, believe it or not)
Arlie says:
at zero?
Arlie says:
that would not work
Arlie says:
recruits have a minimum prestige they will accept
Ben Lewis says:
ah
Arlie says:
so, only the 1 and 2 starts would commit
Ben Lewis says:
so, what's the minimum for a 5-star
Arlie says:
and, on the flip side, if you did everyone at 100, no lower stars or transfers would ever work
Ben Lewis says:
so, what would you recommend?
Arlie says:
You would probably be OK setting everyone at 55
Arlie says:
but I will check and make sure
Arlie says:
55-60 would work
Arlie says:
all recruits would consider you
Arlie says:
and everyone would start out with a chance at a solid roster
Ben Lewis says:
'k
Ben Lewis says:
thanks!
Ben Lewis says:
ah...one more question
Ben Lewis says:
IF we decided to do a league where we set it to zero and only 1-2 star guys got signed, two questions:
Ben Lewis says:
1. Would high-caliber guys show up due to being on watch lists?
Ben Lewis says:
2. How much prestige increase would there be for a 0-prestige team that went 12-0 and won the national title?
Arlie says:
1. perhaps - although it would be more on state and region
Arlie says:
2. 7-8, maybe 10 depending on other factors (recruiting class)
Arlie says:
bear in mind
Arlie says:
what you guys are going with that would be akin to buying a Porshe to tow a U-Haul
Arlie says:
the game isn't designed to be played in that manner
Arlie says:

Ben Lewis says:
oh..completely understood
Ben Lewis says:
i'm NOT in favor of 0-prestige, i think it is stupid
Arlie says:
a "safe" way would be 50-55
Ben Lewis says:
but i just want to give them accurate info to see what we might be getting into
Arlie says:
you could get errors too
Arlie says:
I really don't know
Arlie says:
you would be pretty safe at 50
Ben Lewis says:
so, 4-5 star recruits would just pick a school in week 17 then, not based on much?
Ben Lewis says:
(oh, and do you mind me cutting and pasting this conversation?)
Arlie says:
but with a bunch of 0 prestige schools, some lists would be empty
Arlie says:
nah, that's fine
Ben Lewis says:
ok..thanks
Arlie says:
to your question, yes, the best recruits would end up being reassigned on a combo of state, region and need
Arlie says:
not all that fun if you ask me
Arlie says:
Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 AM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That's interesting reading. What's the lowest prestige a team has in the game? Comments like that make me worried that prestige is handled like TCY, where even the worst schools had prestige in the 50s. I still don't think the idea is "stupid" it has its merits -- like I said, "depending on the direction we want the league to take" but I'm fine either way.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #62
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I would be in for a "fictional" league. Kind of along the lines of HA's feelings, I could then pretend Georgetown has a football program.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #63
Ben E Lou

Quote:
What's the lowest prestige a team has in the game?
Initial prestige ranges from 25-80
Old 12-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #64
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Count me in on a fictional even prestige league (50-55 per Arlie's info).

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #65
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I still don't think the idea is "stupid" it has its merits -- like I said, "depending on the direction we want the league to take" but I'm fine either way.
Ah, and that was a bit harsh, and not quite indicative of what I really meant. I forgot that I said that privately to Arlie, too. Oops. Given the conversations I'd had previously with Arlie about how some things worked, I had a strong suspicion that the it wouldn't handle such a large shift from the intended method of play. Yes, the game can be customized to point, but we must remember that it would be unrealistic to expect Arlie to program the AI in a first-generation game to respond well to every single idea that someone could come up with.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #66
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Ah, and that was a bit harsh, and not quite indicative of what I really meant. I forgot that I said that privately to Arlie, too. Oops. Given the conversations I'd had previously with Arlie about how some things worked, I had a strong suspicion that the it wouldn't handle such a large shift from the intended method of play. Yes, the game can be customized to point, but we must remember that it would be unrealistic to expect Arlie to program the AI in a first-generation game to respond well to every single idea that someone could come up with.

Fair enough. I'll just have to do it in a single-player game, and screw all y'all!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #67
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:

Ben has no thought filters.

Actually, the idea isn't stupid at all. Passacaglia just didn't know it worked that way and to be honest, it makes more sense that the players should adapt to the prestige levels available which would allow a lot more diversity in game options.

Starting prestige at 0 makes sense when you think about the start of an Association.

Now, get back to your dynasty! I'm hooked.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #68
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I'm hooked.
And I'm 1 and dadgum 23.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #69
Ben E Lou

In all seriousness, I'm starting to think I should have started with a real-life league or an even-Prestige one for my *first* real career. I'm considering shelving that career for a while and getting a little better at the game before I continue it. We'll see. I don't really have any time to play again until late tonight or tomorrow morning, so I'll chew on it some. I've finished the next recruiting stage, and signed no one with more than one star. I set Columbus to have lower Prestige than anyone else in the universe (I think by 5-10 points). Maybe I'm in over my head for now.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #70
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
And I'm 1 and dadgum 23.

I want to play in a league with people like you.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #71
Daimyo
College Starter

Assuming there is a reliable commish I think a fictional league with equal starts might actually get me to buy the game.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #72
Daimyo
College Starter

Out there idea: Is it possible to have a promotion/relegation system? Might be cool for a fictional league if possible.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #73
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think this should be called "A League of Their Own".
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #74
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Out there idea: Is it possible to have a promotion/relegation system? Might be cool for a fictional league if possible.
From looking at the game's database, that should be fairly easy to implement. For promotion/relegation, it would work the same as conference realignment, which (theoretically) is doable by editing the database at a particular point.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #75
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
From looking at the game's database, that should be fairly easy to implement. For promotion/relegation, it would work the same as conference realignment, which (theoretically) is doable by editing the database at a particular point.

rather intriguing. i embrace thinking outside of the box and using a game in ways a developer might not have even imagined.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #76
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo

Hmmm... That could be fun.

Have different conferences that represent tiers of excellence. After the first season, all conference winners are promoted into the A1 conference. 2nd places get in the A2 conference, etc. All teams in the top conference get xx points added to their prestige - A2 conference teams get a smaller bump in their prestige. Then at the end of each subsequent season, the worst team(s) are relegated, and the conference winner is promoted.

That sounds like fun to me!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
rather intriguing. i embrace thinking outside of the box and using a game in ways a developer might not have even imagined.

Kindof like the way you've used a sandwich in a way that it's maker didn't intend?

Last edited by Kodos : 12-12-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #78
Anthony
Banned

damn, i'm sexy.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #79
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
Of course, the problem with that was stated by Arlie: "You could get errors too. I really don't know." If the developer didn't imagine it being played that way, then the odds are that it hasn't been tested in that way, which means there's at least a chance that you could crash the game down the road in trying to do so. I'd want to know that anything outside of the box had been well-tested by the commish before investing the time into the beginning of the league, then finding out that after the first season we couldn't continue or something like that.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #80
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Of course, the problem with that was stated by Arlie: "You could get errors too. I really don't know." If the developer didn't imagine it being played that way, then the odds are that it hasn't been tested in that way, which means there's at least a chance that you could crash the game down the road in trying to do so. I'd want to know that anything outside of the box had been well-tested by the commish before investing the time into the beginning of the league, then finding out that after the first season we couldn't continue or something like that.

oh, of course. as someone mentioned earlier, this *is* a first generation game, afterall. even if it's not doable at this point in time, it's nice to know that the game has some wiggle room and can bend a little bit, and isn't as black and white as some other games are.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #81
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Yep...which is why I spend my weekend testing out crap like this on BBCF

I posted a question to Arlie in the other thread regarding database realignment, but I guess I should have posted it on the GDS site if I wanted a quick answer...
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #82
Joe
Pro Starter

ok, so are we leaning towards completely fictional, 1-AA schools, a mix, or what? I'd favor fictional.

I will get a message board up on my site tonight for further discussion
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #83
Joe
Pro Starter

I've put up a message board for discussion. Register if you wish and float some ideas or create polls or whatever.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #84
Joe
Pro Starter

http://www.joenitedstatesofamerica.com/phpbb
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #85
Daimyo
College Starter

I think fictional is good, but if someone wants to use a real college name they should be allowed.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #86
Joe
Pro Starter

I spent my first 2 years of college at a Division 2 school, I think it would be cool to see some of those teams in a league. Go NSIC!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #87
JeeberD
General Manager

*Tries to resist claiming Sam Houston State since he's in too many damn leagues as it is*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #88
Joe
Pro Starter

give in to temptation jeebs