Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

OT: Moving to New York

I recently accepted an internship position in New York City. The job starts in early January, and I need to find somewhere to live from January-August.

I was thinking the most economical thing by far would be to just rent a room from someone (as opposed to finding my own apartment, obviously).

Can anyone suggest a good way to start looking, and then continue with the housing search? I figured www.craigslist.org is a good place to get started, but if anyone else has recommendations that would be fantastic.

Thanks!
~rpi-fan

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:50 AM   #2
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Craigslist is probably about as good a place as any, especially considering that you will be here for less than a year. I hope this is a well-paid internship, as you will be realistically looking at $600-$800 for just renting a room from someone.

Check with the company that you will intern at. You never know, maybe they know a broker, or even somebody there might need a roommate.

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 11-24-2005 at 03:51 AM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:45 AM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I know NYU and other colleges in the city have summer housing they rent to people (not just students). You might check to see if they do this year round.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
Craigslist is probably about as good a place as any, especially considering that you will be here for less than a year. I hope this is a well-paid internship, as you will be realistically looking at $600-$800 for just renting a room from someone.

Check with the company that you will intern at. You never know, maybe they know a broker, or even somebody there might need a roommate.

Yea', that's pretty much exactly what I had figured for renting (and then I also figured another $100-200 in utilities) and still made the money work pretty easily.

I might do what digamma said just in case anything popped up.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!

I'd think more like $800-$1000, depending on the area. In any event, I second (or third, whatever we're up to), the Craigslist idea.

Last summer I needed a sublet in the city, and within a week I found a room in Fort Greene for about $700.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

First tip is to expand the search outside of Manhattan.

Look into finding a place in NJ around the Hoboken area (Hoboken, Weehawken, West New York, Jersey City, Secaucus). All of those areas are less than a half hour bus/train (PATH) ride away from the city, and much, much cheaper than living in the city.

Where exactly are you going to be working (streets)?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Anthony
Banned

don't live in manhattan. go to Queens. Astoria is great and is becoming the destination of choice for people who want the NYC lifestyle but can't afford it. and you're one 10 minutes train ride from Manhattan. you'd be able to rent an apt from someone's house (there are many 2 family houses). manhattan is too expensive for someone to live on a paid internship wages. the places you'd be able to afford to live in - let's just say it wouldn't be worth it.

also try Williamsburg, Brooklyn. i don't like Brooklyn, but i was there recently and that town underwent the same transformation that Astoria went through (small town near the city that become valued for it's vicinity).

Last edited by Anthony : 11-24-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Klinglerware
College Starter

I definitely think that the sublet idea is a very good way to go for a short-term stay. I would look at the Village Voice in addition to Craigslist.

Also, if you aren't adverse to having a roommate, check out sites like roommates.com--NYC is a big enough place where it wouldn't be that difficult to find someone at the opposite end (someone who already has an apartment, but is looking for someone to fill a room temporarily).
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

A friend of mine goes to grad school in NYC. He's renting a room from someone in Brooklyn and I think he pays $475 a month (and that includes utilities, internet, cable, etc. etc.). But he basically waited and waited and waited for a deal. The room went the same day it was put up on some website (forgot which one), so that's probably the lowest you'll find.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

By the way, love the tips and would appreciate any more than can be offered!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
First tip is to expand the search outside of Manhattan.

Look into finding a place in NJ around the Hoboken area (Hoboken, Weehawken, West New York, Jersey City, Secaucus). All of those areas are less than a half hour bus/train (PATH) ride away from the city, and much, much cheaper than living in the city.

Where exactly are you going to be working (streets)?

West 23rd & Broadway
Old 11-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
West 23rd & Broadway

i work on 23rd and Park. basically 2 blocks from you.

and no, we aren't doing lunch so don't ask.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Jon
High School Varsity

You should definately search outside of Manhattan, and even look in NJ. Hoboken is just as overpriced as Manhattan. I live in Jersey City, work in Brooklyn, and have a very quick commute. Someone I know is looking to rent her apartment for $735 per month. It's less than a block away from me. If you're interested, PM me, and I'll talk to her and maybe take some digital pictures of the place for you.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
weinstein7
High School JV

If you're working in that neighborhood, living in Jersey would be very convenient, as it's right by a Path station. I'll also second HA's recommendation of Williamsburg, as it's one of the few neighborhoods left in Brooklyn that hasn't blown up - EAST Williamsburg, to be specific. I like Astoria also, but I don't know Queens so well.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i work on 23rd and Park. basically 2 blocks from you.

and no, we aren't doing lunch so don't ask.
I imagine these two long time FOFC memebers bump into each other someday on the street and never finding out they know each other through the internet. How freaky would that be?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
I imagine these two long time FOFC memebers bump into each other someday on the street and never finding out they know each other through the internet. How freaky would that be?

unless there's a hero attached to my genitals he wouldn't recognize me.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #17
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I actually meant a situation where you two won't recognize each other, live your lives and never finding out you two met.

Oh well...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #18
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Just to update (like anyone cares! ...But figure it might be useful in case anyone runs across a similar type situation in the future)...

Found a share in Astoria w/ a girl who's not there very much, and it is half a block from the train that goes right to my work building. Rent is decent, etc.

Craigslist was such a huge help. I visited 5 places in one day (took me about 1-2 hours per day for the Monday-thru-Friday preceding my Saturday visit to set things up), 2 of them were not things I'd consider, but the other three, I would have been totally happy in any of them.

So Craigslist really was helpful, and if you're willing to put a little effort into sorting through everything it seems like you can come up with some useful information.

Thanks everyone for their advice!
~rpi-fan
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #19
Anthony
Banned

ASTORIA FOREVER MUTHAFUCKAS!!!!111!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
Anthony
Banned

34TH ST AND BROADWAY TILL WE DIE!!!1!