Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Charles Rogers: trouble already?

From ESPN:

Sources: Rogers' test reveals masking agent

Wide receiver Charles Rogers, expected to be one of the top picks in the April 26 NFL draft, tested positive at the scouting combine in Indianapolis for a drug masking agent, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Sunday.

The masking agent is designed to dilute one's urine and is likely to land Rogers in the evaluation stage of the league's substance-abuse program.

Testing positive for a masking agent is considered by the NFL the same as testing positive for a banned substance because some players take the agents to cover up banned drug use.

While ESPN was unable to reach Rogers on Sunday for comment, his agent, Kevin Poston, said the explanation was simple.

"The masking agent was simply excessive water," Poston told ESPN. "Charles was having trouble urinating on that particular morning and the NFL kept giving him water until he was able to urinate. He did not come in already with the excess water, which he would have if trying to hide something. It's as simple as that. You do have to question the timing of this report."

Rogers averaged 20.4 yards per catch and scored 25 times in his two seasons with Michigan State. He is considered one of two blue-chip wide receiver prospects in the draft, along with Miami's Andre Johnson. Rogers scored a touchdown in a Big 10-record 13 consecutive games.

Rogers, who left Michigan State after his junior season, caught 68 passes for 1,351 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2002.

Rogers is projected to be the second player taken in the draft behind Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer of USC, according to ESPN.com's Mel Kiper Jr. The Detroit Lions have the second pick in the draft. Rogers has Randy Moss-like potential, according to Kiper.

It's probably nothing, but who's willing to pay millions of dollars to find out?

Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

Re: Charles Rogers: trouble already?

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu Blue
It's probably nothing, but who's willing to pay millions of dollars to find out?

The Detroit Lions?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
TLK
Pro Starter

Re: Charles Rogers: trouble already?

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu Blue

The Detroit Lions

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
TLK
Pro Starter

oh well, got beat to it
Old 04-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No, your post was just confirmation from a Lions fan!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I doubt Detroit is going to worry about Rogers smoking a little weed to celebrate the end of college.

Last edited by NoMyths : 04-14-2003 at 01:27 PM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
TLK
Pro Starter

Why would you even do that, knowing you have 32 teams that are going to be throwing millions at you. If I were him, I'd be sitting at home, not doing anything to endanger my big paycheck. It's almost like smoking some weed before going in for an interview for a job. You just don't do it......

TLK
Old 04-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLionKing
Why would you even do that, knowing you have 32 teams that are going to be throwing millions at you. If I were him, I'd be sitting at home, not doing anything to endanger my big paycheck. It's almost like smoking some weed before going in for an interview for a job. You just don't do it......

TLK

(slaps hand to forehead)

Oh Lord! So THAT'S why I haven't been able to land a good job! And now those Mary Jane references that last personnel guy was dropping make all sorts of sense!

(takes another toke and goes to find his best suit)

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #9
User #2735
n00b

4:20 Smoke Weed Everyday
User #2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:39 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

That agent is earning his keep, though. That's a pretty damned good sound byte, for my money, under the circumstances.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #11
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

TLK

Believe it or not, I had a guy fail a drug test even though he KNEW when the test was. He was a friend of one of my employees and had been working on a temp-to-perm basis. I needed a warm body in the warehouse and he had done an ok job so I decided to hire him. I knew that he smoked pot since is friend had told me that he sometimes did. Even though his friend told him how long to go without smoking weed, he still failed the drug test. What an idiot. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't hire him since he was that stupid.

Funny thing was that his mom called to find out why I sent him home. I was a nice enough former boss to tell her we had budget cuts and that the position had been eliminated. He called me later and thanked me for not giving the real reason, but to this day I'm still not sure how much of a favor I did him.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

TLK

It's also worth noting that Rogers got a big old 10 on his Wonderlic....which is somewhere around what you get for signing your name.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-14-2003 at 02:46 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #13
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Heh...nice post Quik. A lot of people rely on over-the-counter maskers/eliminators for the employment tests, since they're rarely checked, and urine tests are pretty easy to mask. Rogers should have known or been informed that the NFL testing would be a bit more thorough.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:24 PM   #14
couriers

Can you say Sapp or has someone already mentioned him?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #15
User #2735
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
Can you say Sapp or has someone already mentioned him?

Quote:
Originally posted by User #2735
4:20 Smoke Weed Everyday

Yeah, I mentioned him.
User #2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:00 PM   #16
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What the heck is the Wonderlic?

Also, Rogers has two kids, doesn't he?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:07 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Buzzbee: I knew a guy that had a sweet deal set up with the Navy that he blew by failing the drug test. This was a test he knew he had to take three months before he graduated. He was still able to enlist, but instead of the high tech work he was going to do, he started as a grunt mechanic. Idiot.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by NoMyths
Heh...nice post Quik. A lot of people rely on over-the-counter maskers/eliminators for the employment tests, since they're rarely checked, and urine tests are pretty easy to mask. Rogers should have known or been informed that the NFL testing would be a bit more thorough.

Yes, the agent is doing a decent job on the defensive, even if his story doesn't make much sense. I believe that drinking an excessive amount of water would do nothing to work as a masking agent, but if water were used it would have to be by pouring in into the sample, which would imply he had something to hide.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:05 PM   #19
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
What the heck is the Wonderlic?

The Wonderlic is the IQ test given at the combine. I believe the scale goes from 1 to 50, and a score of 21 is 'equal' to an IQ of 100......10 is, uhhh, not so good.

But, than again, Dan Marino was able to rack up QB career records all over the joint with a Wonderlic of 16. Jeff George got a 10. Obviously, it's more of a concern with a QB than a WR....but let's just say I won't be waiting around for Charles' post game comments after any Lions games.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

After reading some of Neil Smith's post game analysis comments, maybe you should wait for those from Rogers. For example, here's some of the things Smith said last season:

“I can’t take too much of this there no more as far as them winning these close games.”

“There are some changes that have to be made. I think you start on the cornerback position. You actually have to start with (Eric) Warfield. I think Warfield needs to be put down before he can really realize exactly what’s happening to him.”

“Trevor Pryce uses the chop move (past John Tait). … I does that when I was playing and I think he picked it up.”

“I think both of these teams respectively give each other respect. And that’s why it’s become that real, real crucial of a rivalry. What Chiefs team’s gonna to show up is going to bow down to what’s going to happen today. They have to show up today and play some solid football. If not they will be right back where we was again flat if they don’t get this win.”

“Clearly, no one untouched and you’re not going to out footrace Dante Hall when he’s in first gear…or second gear.”

“Rob Smith does a great job of keeping both feet inbounds here after the play was resumed.”

and finally...

“Derrick Thomas has a little problem being late for the airport…”
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #21
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
“I can’t take too much of this there no more as far as them winning these close games.”

NICE!

On a semi-related note, as a Lions fan living in Oregon, I have the singular joy of trying to follw all Lions games on the internet (because I'm a fantasy freak, and can't get my stats updated every minute in a sports bar). For whatever reasons the Lions don't have their own feed which means I end up listening to the visitors radio feed every week. Since these ARE Lions games, it can often be just as entertaining listening to the radio 'personalities'. Pittsburgh has some coot who sounds like Jerry Glanville +20 years, and -10 teeth, and Tennessee has some douchebag who nearly has an ambolism everytime a QB gets caught in the backfield, so he can yell 'SAAACKK!'. What was really disheartening last year, was watching some televised game and wondering to myself 'who is this crackhead doing color' , and than they pull back the camera to reveal it's Marv Levy....someone I respect.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:45 PM   #22
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Yes, the agent is doing a decent job on the defensive, even if his story doesn't make much sense. I believe that drinking an excessive amount of water would do nothing to work as a masking agent, but if water were used it would have to be by pouring in into the sample, which would imply he had something to hide.

water can be used as a masking agent. But in order to be effective, you couldnt sleep before the test. That wouldnt give the subtance to build up in your urine stream. And you would have to drink quite a bit of water for it too work. Newer tests can detect this, buy looking at the levels of substances normally found in urine.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 04-14-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote