Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

The Masters

Tiger and Jeff Maggert both killed themselves on a short par 4 (well, and Maggert is now looking at 7 or 8 on #12), Len Mattiace (who?) has the lead, Singh and Mickelson are still lurking. Sunday at the Masters. Anyone else watching?

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
Havok
College Starter

Watching Maggert hit himself with the ball was pretty dam funny

That guy chokes everytime he has the lead. I think he's led like 8 tourny's going into the final round and only won like 1.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

Geez, Mattiace is 8-under today (and for the tournament) with two holes to go. I bet no one gave him a second thought coming into the day.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am still crossing my fingers for a Mickelson comeback...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Don't forget the other lefty, Mike Weir.

Back in my sports reporting days, I had a chance to interview Mike when he was still an unknown on the CPGA. He was a truly good guy, and really went out of his way to help me out. 100% class all the way. I'll be rooting for him today.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

I think it's pretty much Mattiace or Weir now ... unless Mattiace fails to make 5 on 18.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Sunday in Augusta is the best sporting day of the year in my opinion.

It's been a crazy one so far. I'm just glad Phil didn't win. But who would have thought Mattiace would come out of nowhere like that?

Come on Weir! (Even though you are Canadian)
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

We are in for a good one. Two putt for a playoff. It is really nice to watch golf without seeing Tiger Woods' mug every 2 mins.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

When he wins as much as he does, what do you expect?
Old 04-13-2003, 06:08 PM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
When he wins as much as he does, what do you expect?

They still show a lot of hime even when he isnt in contention.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:13 PM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bsak16
They still show a lot of hime even when he isnt in contention.

He may very well end up being regarded as the best to ever play the game, so enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:00 PM   #12
Kevin
High School JV

Thumbs up

Way to go, Mike!!!!!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
He may very well end up being regarded as the best to ever play the game, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Enjoy it while it lasts? Why?
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:38 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
Way to go, Mike!!!!!
Indeed... couldn't happen to a better guy.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Enjoy it while it lasts? Why?

Well, I don't know about you, but I wish I could have been around to see Jack Nicklaus at his best (although the '86 Masters was a treat I'll always remember). I wish I would have gone to see MJ play in person more often than I did. I would have loved to see the Babe hit one out.

My point is that you get VERY few opportunities to see someone compete at a level that warrants the phrase "best ever". If Tiger continues to play at the level he is now, he will definitely be listed with Jack as the best to ever play. I enjoy every single shot I see him play.

Why wouldn't you enjoy it while it lasts?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I understand where you are coming from but the gap between Tiger and the rest of the field is much greater than when Jack played. I really dont like watching a tournament where he is winning by 5+ strokes in the final round. I enjoy watching him and am marveled by some of the shots he makes but I enjoy golf more when the tournament is close. Just like today in The Masters, Tiger was contending and there was that cloud of doubt on whether he could come back or not. It was just nice to see some one else win. Even Jack was not the most popular when he was young. Palmer was the fan favorite and most saw Jack as a fat kid and he got heckled a lot early in his career. I enjoy Tiger but I will enjoy a competitive tournament a lot more.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:46 PM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

Fair enough. I actually agree with you on this. I wish one of the other players would elevate his game to get near Tiger's level. He needs a rival, and so far doesn't have one.

Jack had Arnie, Player, Trevino, and Watson who at different times had multiple head to head shootouts with him. How great would it be if Ernie or Phil or Sergio could put together a few big time victories when Tiger was in contention?

You're right. Right now, it's Tiger and then everyone else.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:46 PM   #18
bbor
Pro Starter

First lefty in 40 years to win a major.

First Canadian to EVER win a major.

Congrats Mike.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah, I really like Weir. He seems to be a class act - and a very nice guy.

I wish Toms would have done better today. He is also very classy. At the Bellsouth last week, he was very gracious with the crowd. Signed autographs after the round for almost an hour. I was very impressed with him and have become a big fan.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:01 PM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

WOOHOO!!! WAY TO GO MIKEY!!!

I followed quite a lot of that last round. Some great golf shots. Mattiace played a superb round of golf. Minus 7 to finish the Masters, Amazing!

And Mike Weir is a lefty, the FrogMan's a lefty.

I'm happy for him, like many of you have said already, he seems like a very nice guy...

FrogMan
Old 04-13-2003, 09:04 PM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
I followed quite a lot of that last round. Some great golf shots. Mattiace played a superb round of golf. Minus 7 to finish the Masters, Amazing!

Agreed, but what about those putts on the playoff hole. Yikes!

He played the first putt way too agressive, IMO.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:04 PM   #22
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan

And Mike Weir is a lefty, the FrogMan's a lefty.

I imagine that is where the golf simularities end eh ?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:37 PM   #23
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
I imagine that is where the golf simularities end eh ?

Dude, you really know me so well

Also he weighs about 135 lbs all wet with rocks in his pockets and I weigh, oh well. Next caller!

FrogMan
Old 04-13-2003, 09:40 PM   #24
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Agreed, but what about those putts on the playoff hole. Yikes!

He played the first putt way too agressive, IMO.

Agreed about them putts. That may be the only thing sorry about Weir's win. I won it in overtime with a bogey

I so much would have wanted him to sink his putt on the 18th to win it on a long, dramatic put... whooo goosebumps

FrogMan
Old 04-13-2003, 10:19 PM   #25
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If Mattiace had just played for two rather than charging the hole, he could have survived, even though the first putt was a toughie --- if hit it past the hole, nothing was going to stop it. Nevertheless, a well deserved win by Weir. He does seem like one of the good guys. He's also been on an incredible tear of late. Of course, this win could be rough on him. The record of players after they win their first major is not good for about a year. I hope he can steer clear of that trouble.

There is a reason why you see Tiger even if he's not in contention -- it draws viewers. This was an exciting finish to a tournament, but I'll guarantee you that the ratings will not be as good as the last two years. The ratings would have been horrible if Tiger hadn't played back in contention.

I guess I shouldn't be fazed by it anymore, but I'm continually perplexed at this backlash toward people who are the best at what they do. Woods, Jordan, Bonds and others have their detractors -- they are in the minority, but it's a vocal minority. KWhit hit it on the head -- can you imagine someone saying, "Pfft. Who wants to watch the Yankees play? All Ruth and Gerhig ever do is win. That's boring. I hate those guys."

I know the critics will say today's athletes are "overexposed." I don't know how watching the greatest player ever could ever be considered a "bad" thing. I contend that if you don't enjoy watching Tiger, then you simply don't understand or appreciate golf. I say the same thing if you don't like watching Bonds bat or Clemens or Maddux pitch or Jordan play. You just don't get it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #26
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

kc, it has to be more than watching an overhyped/overexposed athlete 'play'. Character, attitudes, personalities are deciding factors as well. You want a test about Woods? Ask quite a few tour players whether they would want to have Woods as a playing partner. It has nothing to do with the level of competition but being a playing partner. Bonds come across the same way but MJ created a style of play that I increasingly found unwatchable. There are many reasons why we are (and should always be) free to like or dislike without anyone telling that we should and shouldn't like a player.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:19 AM   #27
andy m
High School Varsity

the media quite often presents these stars as having problematic attitudes because they can't get good interviews / stories from them. they are people that shy away from that. this ends up with people who watch sports having the view that bonds is an ass or whatever. simply because the media portrays him as such. that's a terrible shame.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:23 AM   #28
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I couldn't possibly care less if Barry Bonds or Tiger Woods act like jackasses. I don't watch sports for a morality play. I watch to see the best of the best perform at a high level. I consider it an honor to be able to see/have seen Jordan, Bonds, Woods, Deion, Montana and the others who are among the greatest ever at their crafts.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 AM   #29
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It takes a much better man than I to be able to totally separate the performance from the character.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:34 AM   #30
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
kc, it has to be more than watching an overhyped/overexposed athlete 'play'. Character, attitudes, personalities are deciding factors as well. You want a test about Woods? Ask quite a few tour players whether they would want to have Woods as a playing partner. It has nothing to do with the level of competition but being a playing partner.

I do not think many tour players would turn down a chance to be Tiger's playing partner in a competitive round. I think Tiger's character is near perfect. If you have any evidence to back up your statement, I'll listen.

Tiger is the epitome of class, IMO.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:46 AM   #31
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
It takes a much better man than I to be able to totally separate the performance from the character.

Well said. I'm in the same boat.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:14 AM   #32
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

There is no difference than rooting against a player or team to fail than to root for a player or team to win, regardless how well they perform.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:19 AM   #33
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
There is no difference than rooting against a player or team to fail than to root for a player or team to win, regardless how well they perform.

Ummm... Okay...

But I still don't know why you question Tiger's character. And I still don't believe your assertion that other players don't want him as a playing partner.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:24 AM   #34
Kevin
High School JV

I think some of the resentment of the coverage of Tiger isn't really about Tiger, but the way the networks handle the coverage. I want to see all of Tiger's shots when he's in contention. I like seeing any golfer play well. What I don't like is when ABC shows Tiger examining his next putt from every angle, staring at the sky waiting for his turn to tee off, walking down the fairway, etc., instead of other contenders taking their shots. Unfortunately the human frailty in us all makes us resent Tiger sometimes rather than the fawning producers and announcers of the coverage.

Hats off to CBS for their coverage on Sunday (other than some of Lanny's repeating of Nantz). At least now Weir will get some coverage in the future. Too often he was ignored by the networks even when in contention and playing well.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #35
Craptacular
College Starter

One of the only reasons I've heard for players not wanting to play with Tiger is because of the crowds. If he putts out first, half the crowd starts moving to the next hole while his partner is trying to finish. Same thing for players in the groups ahead of or behind him. I'm not a big Tiger fan either, but I think the reasons people wouldn't want to play with him would be based more on what happens around him, rather than his attitude or demeanor.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:35 AM   #36
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
One of the only reasons I've heard for players not wanting to play with Tiger is because of the crowds.

Yeah, sure. I have heard the same thing.

But Anrhydeddu said players didn't want to be his "playing partner" which I took to mean they wouldn't want to be in his group in one of those team match-play events like the Ryder Cup or Walker Cup. Maybe that's not what he meant (I don't know cause he hasn't clarified what he said).
Old 04-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #37
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Had a long post, pasting columns and rants about Woods but it really doesn't mean anything. There are those that "hate" him for not taking a racial stand (South Carolina Confederate Flag flap), for being consumed by corporate greed (his Ryder Cup remark last year), for his tuning out of playing partners (offering no comments or compliments), for his father's Chosen One quote and for other faults for being a human directly in the world's spotlight. As with any overhyped/overexposed athletes or celebrities, one can find faults and tear him/her down but to me, that's just as bad as putting up on a godlike pedestal, esp. at the expense of others.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 PM   #38
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah! Great day of Golf it was.

Mike Weir played very consistent and Len Mattiace played one heck of a round. Coming up a little short on #18 ended up killing him. If Mattiace pars 18 then a playoff never happens, cuz he was at -8 then. The bogey dropped him to -7 and a tie.

Both played well enough to win. It is too bad that we couldn't have had co-champions.

Jeff Maggart. I feel for the guy. But I also admire his courage for coming back not only once but twice to finish in the red.

Mike Weir is a good guy. When I heard that his 2 caddies were both childhood buddies, I thought , "ah man this guy really has his feet on the ground".

Way to go Mike!
Old 04-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #39
Craptacular
College Starter

I just wanted to post a picture of Miguel Angel Jimenez's "Spafro":
Old 04-14-2003, 03:24 PM   #40
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I just wanted to post a picture of Miguel Angel Jimenez's "Spafro":

Wow! Weird Al qualified for the Masters!

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #41
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Had a long post, pasting columns and rants about Woods but it really doesn't mean anything. There are those that "hate" him for not taking a racial stand (South Carolina Confederate Flag flap), for being consumed by corporate greed (his Ryder Cup remark last year), for his tuning out of playing partners (offering no comments or compliments), for his father's Chosen One quote and for other faults for being a human directly in the world's spotlight. As with any overhyped/overexposed athletes or celebrities, one can find faults and tear him/her down but to me, that's just as bad as putting up on a godlike pedestal, esp. at the expense of others.

Fair enough. As I said above, I personally believe he has handled himself very well to this point considering how the media looks for any slip-up from him (or any other mega-star).

So I'll enjoy every shot I see him hit and I'm sure I'll be telling my grandkids about the shot I saw him hit at Eastlake Country Club from the fairway on hole 1 through the trees to within 2 feet on the 9th green.