Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Joe
Pro Starter

They Called Me For Jury Duty

He never received the summons? Hmm... sounds fishy to me.

Quote:
WACO, Texas -
President Bush could get a new title: juror No. 286. Someday, but not Monday, when he was summoned for jury duty.

The president was among 600 potential jurors summoned to report to court in McLennan County, where his 1,600-acre Crawford ranch is located.

State District Judge Ralph Strother told the Waco Tribune-Herald he expected to get a response about the summons but didn't expect Bush to report for duty.

"I don't think I'll be sending the sheriff out to bring the president in," said Strother, a Republican who has a grandson serving in
Iraq. "It seems to me that the president has plenty of things to occupy his attention. Jury duty is a very important civic function, but running the country, I think, especially in wartime, takes priority over jury service."

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday that the president intends to serve, just not on Monday. The president hadn't received the summons, but the White House reached out to the court after media accounts surfaced and was informed that the summons was for Monday, McClellan.

"We have since called the court to inform them that the president has other commitments on Monday and that he would like to reschedule his jury duty," he said. "We will be working with the court to reschedule his jury duty. ... Jury duty is an important civic responsibility and it's important that people do serve."

Although Bush won't serve this time, his Democratic rival in the 2004 election served on a Massachusetts jury last month. Kerry not only served, but was elected foreman of the Suffolk Superior Court jury, which rejected a claim by two men who sued the city of Boston for injuries suffered in a car accident involving a school principal.

Last edited by Joe : 12-01-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shouldnt this be entitled "They called me for Jury Duty"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
He never received the summons? Hmm... sounds fishy to me.

Why?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Shouldnt this be entitled "They called me for Jury Duty"

yes
Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You'd think there'd be some sort of conflict of interests there.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Why?

Well everyone seems to blame it on the post office when they don't get their summons, its a common tale. I mean, its not like he didn't receive it because he's in Washington, since he's seemingly always at the ranch. Maybe it just got lost in all of the hate mail.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Well everyone seems to blame it on the post office when they don't get their summons, its a common tale. I mean, its not like he didn't receive it because he's in Washington, since he's seemingly always at the ranch. Maybe it just got lost in all of the hate mail.

I have a feeling he was made aware of the summons before it has actually arrived.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wouldn't it be cool to be the guy that got voted to be jury foreman over John Kerry or George Bush?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Wouldn't it be cool to be the guy that got voted to be jury foreman over John Kerry or George Bush?

that would be very cool.