Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Travis
Pro Rookie

Fantasy Football Advice Needed (re: Need a QB)

Okay, our league trade deadline has passed, and while I'm likely to win my division, my playoff chances took a big hit this weekend.

My starting QB, Leftwich, is gone for likely the rest of our fantasy football season. Our last regular season game is next week, followed by 3 weeks of playoffs. As of right now, it looks like I'll get the #3 spot, so no bye through the first round and will face the #6 team (in a 16 team league).

16 team keeper league

We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 RB/WR, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST

My current roster is:

QB: B. Leftwich, B. Johnson
RB: E. James, R. Brown, T. Bell, J.J. Arrington
WR: D. Jackson, J. Jurevicius, L. Coles, T. Williamson
TE: T. Heap, M. Schobel
K: J. Brown, J. Carney
D/ST: Carolina, Minnesota
IR: C. Rogers

Scoring:
1 pt / 10 yds pass/rush/rec
6 pts / TD (any type)
-4 pts / interception

So as I see my options right now, I flat out release Charles Rogers, throw Leftwich on IR and pick up one of the following:

David Garrard, Aaron Brooks (who I dropped to pick up Johnson) or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Mike McMahon and Jamie Martin have already been picked up.

Right now I'm leaning towards Garrard due to Jacksonville's remaining schedule, and Brooks has burned me more than a few times in the past. Thoughts/opinions/other suggestions? I know with my current roster (mostly my current RB situation) that my chances of winning the league aren't great, but I'd like to at least be getting 20-25 points out of the QB position to help my odds.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Brad Johnson isn't bad right now. Maybe hold tight?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I would go with Garrard. Since Leftwich will be gone for awhile, and jacksonville is making a playoff push, they will try and finish the season as a strong contender since they probably won't take the division (going for wildcard). As for the others, they will soon pack it up for the season and just start giving rookies the playing time since they are basically out. Brooks has solid talent around him so I would go with him second.

As for Fitzpatrick, that is a risk. Was he that good since no one has a clue who he is and haven't studied anything about him. Now they will get the chance to do that and I don't think if he starts, he will be that good again.

Also, check the remaining schedules. I think Jax has a pretty easy road ahead too.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Even if Jamie Martin was available, I'd shy away from him. 4 TDs and 5 INTs isn't good. gottimd is right, Fitzpatrick is a big risk.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Garrard. For the reasons gottimd stated and also for the fact that the other choices don't look so good. But I'd also be sure to play the matchups Johnson vs. Garrard.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Normally I'd say Garrard -- it's always good to have the backup to one of your key guys around just in case, and you have to figure that Garrard and Brooks are a wash most likely.

My only hesitation is with Leftwich's recuperative powers. This is a tough little guy. What if you make it to the title game and Leftwich is back. Can you bring back guys from the IR? If not, then you're stuck without a QB again. Or even worse, what if he makes it back and becomes a gametime decision and you don't know who will play until the last minute, or he does play and gets hurt again? It's much morely than Aaron Brooks will take all the Saints snaps the rest of the season than for Garrard to play the rest of the way for Jacksonville.

Plus, you know Jacksonville is going to go MartyBall with Garrard at QB. He's probably going to go 12-24 for 125 yards every week while they run the ball and let their defense win games. The Saints meanwhile are going to get pummelled and continue to put the offense in Brooks hands. The only drawback is that the -4 for interceptions really makes Brooks a liability. Garrard won't put up great numbers, but you'd at least hope he'd put up Trent Dilfer-in-Baltimore numbers where he plods along and just doesn't turn the ball over.

It's a risk, but I think if you can reactivate guys from IR, I'd go with Garrard. If you can't, I'd lean slightly toward Brooks.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm sorry, but I don't think Leftwich is a little guy.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Dola, as for Fitzpatrick, it looks like Martin will be back next week which doesn't make him much of an option. If Martin were going to be out for an extended time, Fitzpatrick would be the guy because he'll put up numbers in that system. But it doesn't look like he'll get much playing time unless Martin is hurt worse than we think or he just stinks it up and they want to give Fitzpatrick a chance.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
Ragone
Pro Rookie

For all his detractors.. Brooks has played fairly well.. hell.. i think he may have better stats then vick.. investigating now.. please hold

Brooks is like 10 points scored away from Vick.. in the base ffl scoring format.. and 2 points AHEAD of leftwich

i'd also keep an eye out for charlie frye(cleveland) dilfer's knee is going to probably put him out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
For comparison.. check out my ffl team

Qb:Eli Manning,Micheal Vick(wth did i waste a pick on vick), Brett Favre(someone cut him.. don't ask me why i picked him up either)

Rb:L. Tomlinson, Corey Dillon(f u!), Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Deshaun Foster

Wr:Plaxico Burress, Antonio Gates(classified as wr), Anquan Boldin, Isaac Bruce, Braylon Edwards, Antonio Bryant, Lee Evans

D:Cincinnati(yikes)
K: David Akers

This team has me 8-4.. i have scored over 1400 points in 12 weeks.. but a few weeks i've ran into buzzsaws of people scoring like 140.. whereas the league leader at 11-1.. seems to get people to score 50 on him weekly.. wtf

Last edited by Ragone : 11-29-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #10
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
David Garrard, Aaron Brooks (who I dropped to pick up Johnson) or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

coming into the game in the 1st Q both against bad defenses, Garrard had 175 yards (only 115 pasing) and 1 TD and Fitz had 330 and 3.

those numbers seem about right for Garrard, and while Fitz may come down to earth remember he is the Rams the starting QB!!!

Brooks has poor matchups 4 of his last 5 weeks, but atleast he will get to throw alot

i'd go with Fitz over Brooks, Brooks plays against better D's and tends to throws picks. Fitz is a bit unkown but so is every Ram Qb, plus he has decent matchups including SF in week 16
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote