Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Heat Retire MJ's 23 Jersey

Can't say I expected this really.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0411/1537876.html

MIAMI -- The Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's No. 23 jersey before his final game at the team's arena on Friday night.

The jersey -- half red for the Chicago Bulls and half blue for the Washington Wizards -- was hung from the rafters, and Miami coach Pat Riley said no Heat player will wear the number again.

"In honor of your greatness and for all you've done for the game of basketball -- and not just the NBA, but for all the fans around the world -- we want to honor you tonight and hang your jersey, No. 23, from the rafters,'' Riley said at midcourt. "No one will ever wear No. 23 for the Miami Heat. You're the best.''

Jordan then hugged Riley and waved to the crowd.

It was the first jersey the Heat have retired in their 15-year history.

Jordan averaged 30.2 points on 51.5 percent shooting in 37 regular-season games against the Heat during his career. He was even better in the playoffs, averaging 34.2 points in 11 games.

Before the ceremony, the Heat also played a highlight video of Jordan on the big screen. It was complete with high-flying, tongue-hanging dunks, ankle-breaking moves, shoulder shrugs, fist pumps and his trademark smile.

- - - -

Half Bulls - Half Wizards? What a joke. MJ is and always will be a Chicago Bull.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:11 AM   #2
Taur
High School Varsity

I heard the back of the jersey had the number 45?

Actually I am now questioning the number 45.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was actually able to root for him when he played for the Wizards.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
wignifty

what ever happened to team pride? Now teams are retiring jerseys worn by members of OTHER teams?

I love Jordan, but this is going too far
Old 04-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I agree with wignifty.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I could understand if the NBA decided to retire 23 but for just one team to do it? How stupid.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Vince
Pro Starter

I agree with Wignifty. I think it might have been a nice gesture, but to make it a thousand times worse, this is the first jersey Miami has ever retired. That's pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:36 PM   #8
dread
n00b

I think it is stupid for the heat or NBA to retire Michael's number. If they want to retire his number they might as well add Magic, Bird and Bill Russell among many other great players. I guess this shows how pitiful the heat are they decide to retire an opponents jersey. If I were a Heat fan I would be ashamed, thats like me as a Dolphin fan looking at the top of the stadium and seeing John Elway's number retired.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:06 AM   #9
PsychoCop
Mascot

Well, they suppose that MJ was the only guy who could torch them in the playoffs and make them eat crow.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:51 AM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The NHL retired Wayne Gretzky's number 99 for the league, but it is unlikely anyone would ever try to wear that number anyway. I don't know where Jordan stands on career records for the NBA, so I don't know if his statistical domination is anything like what Gretzky's was in hockey.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 12:38 PM   #11
Anthony
Banned

i think it was lame for the Heat to do. Jordan and the Heat have no history together. i could sooner see the Knicks retiring his number because of all the battles they had in the 90's.

Heat had a stupid idea that made no sense.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #12
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I bet it sold a lot of tickets, though!
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #13
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
The NHL retired Wayne Gretzky's number 99 for the league, but it is unlikely anyone would ever try to wear that number anyway. I don't know where Jordan stands on career records for the NBA, so I don't know if his statistical domination is anything like what Gretzky's was in hockey.

IMO, Jordan is nowhere near Gretzky dominance. There are a bunch of players who *I* personally consider Jordan...Magic, Bird, Russell, Chamberlain, Robertson....
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #14
heybrad
Norm!!!

Wayne Gretzky completely rewrote the record books in hockey. There is no comparison.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jackie Robinson's number has been retired. Of course, Jackie did more to baseball and sport's as a whole then any other athlete has done

FYI-UCLA has not retired Jackie Robinson's number even though he still is the only player to Letter in 4 different sports
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote