Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
21C
College Prospect

Ping : HeavyReign

I know that it's been a while since you were active on this board but I have seen your name as a current active user from time to time.

I still check in on your Fast Break boards occasionally even though it seemed to be going ( gone? ) downhill. I just went to check there again and got a "could not be found" message. Checked the registration information for fbbgames.com and noticed that it expired as of 14 Nov 2005.

I thought you might want to know.

21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
Icy
Pro Starter

Sad to see as awesome game developer to stop his bussines. FBCB is one of the best sport text sims ever released. Thanks man for that awesome game, we really hope that one day you will be back to games developing.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Ragone
Pro Rookie

blah.. i remember the fun times i had playing rise of nations with hr
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:00 AM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

FBCB has so much promise. I get chub when I think about what the next version could be.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Barkeep49
Coordinator

That really makes me sad to hear. I loved FBCB and have gotten more play out of it then just about any other sports game. It is notable as the only college sports game I've ever liked. What a sad thing to hear.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
The McFly Farm
n00b

It's a real shame - and just as the current season is ramping up, too. I came here just to find out if there was any news - and it's all bad. Hopefully things will change.
The McFly Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

I play FBCB as much now as I did when I first bought it back on the very first day it was released, meaning I coach about 3 or 4 games a week on speed setting 1 with the same team that I've now been using for the past 1.5 years of "real time". I also sim through FBB season concurrently with FBCB, using the draft classes (including the 70-odd years of history draft classes that were generated by FBCB before I started coaching my team). I think it's fair to say that I've never played another game that even came close to brining me such value for money.

I keep waiting for an announcement from HR about a new version of FBB or FBCB, but from what I hear he's busy with real life at the moment, which is a shame. Oh well, here's hoping we see something else from him in the future.

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-15-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I think it's fair to say that I've never played another game that even came close to brining me such value for money.

There are only three games in the 20 years I've been playing PC games that I can make that claim: Civ2, OOTP5 and FBCB. If there will be no updates to FBCB, I can accept that for I will likely be playing it 5 years from now. It is that good, the ultimate "one-more-turn" game in the sports sim market.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

bump for HR. Man where are you, I hope things are OK with the business and life in general.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-19-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Is HR the Joe Charbonneau of text-sim developers?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
Blade6119
Coordinator

Send him a message on hattrick...he checks that far more then he comes over here
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:15 AM   #12
21C
College Prospect

The board and the domain are back in action. Good to see.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:11 AM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C
The board and the domain are back in action. Good to see.

web page stilll old

June 4, 2004 on home page. no update on it for a long time
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:12 AM   #14
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Things in life don't always work out how we plan. A combination of things has lead to a lack of any updates. Other than the deal for Season Ticket Basketball I've never really made enough money to support myself year round by just working on my games. Working full time makes it much harder to get things done. That itself wouldn't be that big of an issue though. I've had a lot of trouble the last couple years with depression. Life is hard when you always assume the worst is going to happen. I didn't even really figure it out until this summer when I decided to look at a list of symptoms and couldn't believe how many of them matched what I've been going through. The biggest thing was basically that I've had a really short attention span. Sitting down at the computer to work became pretty much impossible. While things are going better now, I still need to reach a point where I can be happy with myself. I'm really not sure what will happen as far as releasing more games. The most obvious thing would be to finish the updated version of FBB. Basically I'll just need to get the feeling back that I want to work on the game. When I'm focused I can get a lot done but unfortunately that has been rare even when I was working on FBCB.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:16 AM   #15
Blade6119
Coordinator

sorry to hear that buddy...i miss our V.193 days. your a really great person...hope it all works out well!!!!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Brian, thanks for that response. I'm glad that things are going better for you. While there are many of us who would love to see new versions of FBB and FBCB, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that the best thing is to take care of yourself. I hope that you do get around to updating your games, and I hope that you get better financial support from them. You certainly deserve it.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:38 AM   #17
Emiliano
College Prospect

What Pumpy said.

Good luck for everything in your life Brian. That's way more important than make games. You'll be always welcome here.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:45 AM   #18
Icy
Pro Starter

Good to hear from you, we were worried. You know you have all our support and our respect, you have programmed one of the best text sims ever and you should be really proud of it, it's something we all envy, you have some game developing skills that just a few choosen have, i'm sure in the future you will surprisse all us again with a masterpiece of game.

Take care of your life first, visit an speciallist if you haven't yet, and try to find small daily things that can help you to forget about your troubles. My bussines partner (who is an awesome programmer too) is into a depression too after a problem with his girlfriend, he past some months where he could barely focus a few minutes per day in front of the computer doing his daily work. The thing that helped him was to setup a daily routine for himself, to write a schedule for every minute of the day, when to program, when to eat, when to go out to practice any sport or go to thew gym, or to drink a beer with friends, etc, to have a really bussy life and don't have time to think on the troubles he had. That has helped him a lot, he started programming like 30 minutes per day, adding more and more minutes per week, and he is able now to focus again like he did before. Also to focus on programming ,with the mental effort it means, helps him to not to think on anything else.

You have a big familly here, maybe arging about politics, about games not released in time, etc could make you have a laught and forget about any problem you could have, at least for some minutes. You're more than welcome here Brian and we are happy from hearing from you, soon i'm sure we will read happy words from you and that the depression will be over, you can do it.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #19
21C
College Prospect

Hey, Brian. Good to hear from you and I hope things work out positively. I have nothing but respect for you so I hope things go well for you in the future. Text sims are great but there are more important things in life.

Let me know if there is anything I could do to help. I'd be happy to do something like moderate your FBB boards since it always irks me when I see posts about game cracks etc.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's good to hear from you HR. Take care of yourself first, as you can read.. we all miss you and just wanted to know if you were allright.

Take care..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #21
vtbub
College Starter

Depression is a nasty disease, been there and will always do that.

Hang in there.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What vtbub said.

Very good to hear from you though, even if things have been tough. Whenever the mood strikes you to post, just know that you're very welcome here, whether you're working on a game, playing a game, or just wanting to see what the freak show here is up to.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #23
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Heavy just remeber you have lots of support here at the board. Your game has brought many hours of happiness to many people here. Life has its way of throwing roadblocks for us to overcome just when you dont expect it. If you ever need anything whether it is just someone to chat/talk with we are here. Hang in there and remember that old saying that drives me nuts at times "he only gives us what we can handle". My response has always been "well i am full he can stop now".
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad to hear that things are starting to get better, and I'll just echo what a few others have said. Try to see a psychiatrist or psychologist if you can. A skilled clinician can really help you manage and recover from depression, which can be a disabling disease.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #25
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

You've made two of my favorite and most played games (FBB/FBCB) and I'll be ready to check out your next release whether it's this year or two years from now. Obviously take the time you need to organize your life, and feel better about yourself, my best wishes are with you.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

This does seem to coincide with the fall of UW football. Get better though!@
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

I echo everyone else's sentiments. It's good to hear that you're still hanging in there, and hopefully things turn around for you. I was in a bit of a rut a few years ago, and found myself really struggling just to make it out of bed in the morning. Thankfully with the support of some friends I was able to get through it, and I hope that kind of support is on hand for you also.