Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #101
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Right before I went to bed last night, I ran my first show. I think the rating was a C-. I just didn't have enough angles, although I'm using the New York City Wrestling promotion, so I don't have a big enough roster to run anything elaborate yet. One of my wrestlers (I forget which one right now) had decided to leave my promotion at the end of his contract, so I decided to have him come out in the middle of the show and throw himself through a table. The crowd thought that was pretty stupid, and it really was, but I was pissed. If I'm pissed at one of the characters within my first hour of playing the game, it's immersive enough for me.

Keep in mind that this was an exceptional show by NYCW. In order to rise in popularity you really only need to put on a show better than your popularity in the region you're booking. Anything else wastes money well, unless you're doing it for training.

Also anything more than 2 good matches at the lower levels as per Adam is a waste as the crowd expects the undercard of a weak promotion to suck so if you basically put out two D or E matches and a bunch of training garbage you'll pull a rating out that will cause your promotion to rise in popularity and not waste money.

Enough of the strategy though, if Dubb93 gets a MP league going I'd like to join it. I don't really like MP much but I think I'd really enjoy this kind of thing. In fact, I know I would.

Alot.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #102
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
I've found that the best thing to do is advanced book in the am portion of the day the show is scheduled. I still get credit for it and all I have to do is make sure no rival shows are running that can steal my workers for the night.

It isn't like deleting one but in my system I never need to bother with that.

What promotions are you guys starting out with from the get-go? I think I'm either going for something a big too challenging (USPW, I thinK?) as opposed to something a bit more or less "under the radar".

It seems 'MAW' would be the way to go for the time being? At the same time, the popularity levels seem to be 'F' for all around. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to not screw up importing angles from one of those Mods...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #103
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim
Turned out the guy got around, so to speak. He had another PPA deal, but I was the priority so I hadn't worried about it much. When I looked back I found out he had signed yet another PPA shortly before the event with SWF, who then had higher priority than me.

So I guess you could blame it on me for missing the new contract notice... Nah, it was his fault and he got what he deserved.

The one thing with people signing a written contract is you get a little leeway time that I think represents them "giving notice" before they officially join the new fed and will still appear at your cards.

The leeway is a life saver but as the game is now, I'm not sure that it's really a good idea to use the storyline feature.

I am getting great heat just using unchained storylines and there's no penalty for ending one and no strict need to preplan each step. If I lose a guy I have to kill the story line but by that time the other guys are over enough that I remake one for them and add others if wanted and get one that starts off with decent heat.

So far, I haven't seen this addressed because it seems that everyone is enamoured with the new feature but after I stopped using it I was more effective and had more fun. I'm creating the same angles in my head but I can't screw up a major target for a major subject or something similar and watch my storyline fail to advance.

I'm a small fed, I need every story to sell, every show.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:50 PM   #104
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
What promotions are you guys starting out with from the get-go? I think I'm either going for something a big too challenging (USPW, I thinK?) as opposed to something a bit more or less "under the radar".

It seems 'MAW' would be the way to go for the time being? At the same time, the popularity levels seem to be 'F' for all around. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to not screw up importing angles from one of those Mods...

I've played as a few for a few months. MAW didn't work for me ( tried it twice ) but it should and it seems to be very fun. I'll beat it yet.

I also have a AAA game going which is AMAZING. I wouldn't have thought female wrestling but I get A* sex sells segments every show and the wrestling is pretty decent too. Fun and easy to run but limited in it's overall sellability I'd imagine.

I'll find out anyway.

In counterpart to AAA I have a game with USPW. It's pretty easy to pick up with and has a talented roster. It's a bit more demanding of it's shows but then again, you can run multiple shows a month out of the box and make money so I don't see that as an issue.

I've had talent raids though and that sucks. BTW, a cool thing is that Jim Lou Freebush announces for both AAA and USPW so I actually have some continuity in both games. I kinda wish I'd have started this 2 player and later I just may combine these Feds in just such a game.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 AM   #105
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
The leeway is a life saver but as the game is now, I'm not sure that it's really a good idea to use the storyline feature.

I am getting great heat just using unchained storylines and there's no penalty for ending one and no strict need to preplan each step. If I lose a guy I have to kill the story line but by that time the other guys are over enough that I remake one for them and add others if wanted and get one that starts off with decent heat.

So far, I haven't seen this addressed because it seems that everyone is enamoured with the new feature but after I stopped using it I was more effective and had more fun. I'm creating the same angles in my head but I can't screw up a major target for a major subject or something similar and watch my storyline fail to advance.

I'm a small fed, I need every story to sell, every show.

I noticed that with the unchained storylines also, main reason I no longer use them.Felt like I was cheating the whole premise of the storylines.

Adam didn't have them in originally but after people whined loud enough for them I believe he said something along the lines of "It was added because some people didn't like the new storyline style, and it seemed a better sales tactic to add something to calm them rather than point and throw sticks at them."
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #106
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I noticed that with the unchained storylines also, main reason I no longer use them.Felt like I was cheating the whole premise of the storylines.

Adam didn't have them in originally but after people whined loud enough for them I believe he said something along the lines of "It was added because some people didn't like the new storyline style, and it seemed a better sales tactic to add something to calm them rather than point and throw sticks at them."

Cheating?? No way.

You are encouraged to create your own storylines. You can include any angles that you want and you can edit angles to suit your needs.

There only two differences between the unchained story lines and the regular ones and only one of them is bad.

The good difference is that petty interface issues don't cause you to screw up your shows. The aforementioned miscasting a guy in the angle and not having the story advance or putting the wrong team as team two even though the right team won is a gamekiller to me. It's too much busy work not enough creative fun. I don't like it and it serves no purpose.

Now, the total screwjob angle of a guy leaving does give you an advantage but how much of one? From my USPW game, I actually started a predesigned angle in which Darryl Devine would defend his title in a four way dance after his three opponents all went 1-1 vs each other.

I did this because Johnny Bloodstone was stolen from me so I had him drop the title to Devine on the way out the door. The next week, Devine followed him out the door ( Curse you SWF ).

Now, I had a dead storyline right? Not really.

I still had more than three segments to go before I needed Devine and after three segments all I have to do is evolve the storyline to include the new champion. Easy.

So, really, the reason I used the prebuilt was convenience for my planning and that's what I want from it myself. I don't want it as a controlling device.

Of course, I play this game far more as a creative exercise ( that's why it's one of my favorite games ever ) rather than as a competetive game so this works for me. Anything that helps the creative process is good and anything that arbitrarily detracts from that ( blown spots due to interface, having to exit the game every time you need an angle not already included etc ) is bad.

If you play it otherwise, YMMV of course.

I think this game accomodates both styles and does it very well.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:17 AM   #107
Axxon
Pro Starter

Oh, and Bloodstone wasn't around long enough to matter to me but I really liked Darryl Devine and he sold out. This one was personal. Hope he bombs with SWF jerk.

[edit to avoid dola]

This brings up one of my favorite text sims conversations.

I know that Darryl Devine is far too talented to waste on the indies. I know he has star written all over him and he's going to make any fed who signs him proud. I know this.

But come on. I'm the human owner. Doesn't he know this? My skills far surpass any competition I face and all I need is time, not too much but a little, and I'm going to be the biggest thing around.

How can Darry Devine not see this and since he can't not see it, what is he, a moron?

Last edited by Axxon : 10-18-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #108
Eilim
High School Varsity

Hehe..

SWF is pure evil. In both my "competitive" and my creative games SWF seems to try and be the bane of my existance. If I do ever get big enough, I fully plan on going to war with those SOBs.. Eisen is going down, and going down hard if I have a say.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #109
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hehe..

SWF is pure evil. In both my "competitive" and my creative games SWF seems to try and be the bane of my existance. If I do ever get big enough, I fully plan on going to war with those SOBs.. Eisen is going down, and going down hard if I have a say.

Hehe, if I can be of any help just let me know. I'd love to bring the SOB down.

That's one of the reasons a multiplayer game of this would really get me going. It wouldn't be about competing one on one and "game planning" a week to beat the next opponent.

It'd be grudges and works and super hyped mega cross promotion pay per views and redemption and storylines and...

Naah, the game isn't ready for that yet but it's getting there.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:42 AM   #110
Eilim
High School Varsity

I feel the same way. Its the main reason my brother in law picked up a copy. While neither of us have been wrestling fans since the 80s, we both love "storytelling" games.

We planned on creating two new feds in New England with each of us in charge and see where it would lead us. That ended up being put on hold as we got caught up in creating a whole new universe for us to play in. (Heck, to show my geekness even more, I get caught up making fake promo posters for my events.)

One thing with multiplayer though, you really have to set aside a chunk of time for everyone to get together and do a mass of turns during a session. With it being a day by day sim with so much downtime it can get rediculously bogged down trying to play it as a straight play-by-mail.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 AM   #111
Eilim
High School Varsity

Dola:

For anyone doing alot of universe creating,editing,importing and testing...

AutoClicker is your friend.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #112
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I feel the same way. Its the main reason my brother in law picked up a copy. While neither of us have been wrestling fans since the 80s, we both love "storytelling" games.

We planned on creating two new feds in New England with each of us in charge and see where it would lead us. That ended up being put on hold as we got caught up in creating a whole new universe for us to play in. (Heck, to show my geekness even more, I get caught up making fake promo posters for my events.)

One thing with multiplayer though, you really have to set aside a chunk of time for everyone to get together and do a mass of turns during a session. With it being a day by day sim with so much downtime it can get rediculously bogged down trying to play it as a straight play-by-mail.

That describes my wrestling experience and as I've said here, I was a huge CWF fan and wrestling died for me more or less when it did. Still, this game definitely has captured the soft spot in my heart reserved for wrestling.

That's the concern I have about the game. I'd want it slow paced but not molasses paced. I don't know how this would work in practice, especially in an internet scenario. I wouldn't mind setting aside a chunk of time each week, say one dedicated "session" to advancing the game one week no matter how many shows occured that week.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #113
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Axxon, you interested in the cornellverse or raveX? And as far as it taking time, yea its going to go slow, especially in the beginning when we are setting things up, but once it gets underway and you are on a day w/ no shows and all your storylines set up you can finish a turn in about 30 seconds. , or atleast I have been able to in the past. And to speed things up we'll set up player #'s by the time they are on a comp w/ TEW, IE, late night people will be player 3 or 4 and early morning people player 1 or 2, etc.

If Axxon is down we still 2 more people. Anyone else interested in a 4 player dynasty?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #114
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
Axxon, you interested in the cornellverse or raveX? And as far as it taking time, yea its going to go slow, especially in the beginning when we are setting things up, but once it gets underway and you are on a day w/ no shows and all your storylines set up you can finish a turn in about 30 seconds. , or atleast I have been able to in the past. And to speed things up we'll set up player #'s by the time they are on a comp w/ TEW, IE, late night people will be player 3 or 4 and early morning people player 1 or 2, etc.

If Axxon is down we still 2 more people. Anyone else interested in a 4 player dynasty?

I'd prefer the Cornellverse for two reasons.

1. It's less data so it'll move faster.

2. Ravex isn't close to being ready yet with a lot of incomplete data.

And yes, I'd be interested.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 AM   #115
Axxon
Pro Starter

What would be cool is if we had a "Take Down SWF" game with three of us playing smaller feds trying to take down the fourth player who would play SWF.

It'd still be hard because that guy could buy your talent but it'd be fun. Sorta like a Steve Jackson's Ogre game but with wrestling instead of a big tank.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:42 AM   #116
Icy
Pro Starter

I could be interested on it if playing with Cornellverse as i also think that RaveX is not finished and needs more updates. The problem could be that i live in Spain so i have from 7 to 9 hours difference with you. I'm almost the whole day in the computer, from your 2AM EAST TIME to your 3 or 4PM EAST TIME so i won't be online in your afternoon/night. As we'll have time betwen sims to plan all our shows, storylines etc while the others are processing their file, once we get the file we will do it all fast.

If you're looking for an email game that won't matter as i'll have my file ready before you wake up, but if you want a fast pace sim with some processings per day in your afternoon i won't be able to play.

One interesting thing we could do is to write a 3 or 4 ways dynasty, that way we have something to do while the others are processing their file, we can come here and write the dynasty.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #117
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

See this dynasty for a bit of fun:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...669#post934669
Old 10-20-2005, 05:11 AM   #118
condors
College Starter

I would be interested in a multiplayer game using the orginal data but i seem to have the ability to put any company i run out of buisness (at least for now). Although i now have the ability to get a c- rated show even though it costs too much it may help our F popularity.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 AM   #119
WrongWay
Banned

What is the latest on D.O.T.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #120
Terps
College Prospect

Patch 1.3 is out:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ead.php?t=6583
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote