Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who would you take #1 in the draft?
Lebron James 23 38.98%
Carmelo Anthony 23 38.98%
Other... 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Lebron or Anthony...

While I think Lebron (courtesy of the hype machine) will be the #1, I would contend that Anthony will be better sooner, and if somehow I had the #1 pick, I'd take Anthony over Lebron.

Why?

Lebron looks good, but he's a man among boys playing high school kids. If you watch his games there are an awful lot of 5'10" white guys out on the floor not generally the caliber of competition you see in the NBA. His jump shot is still suspect. Most of these high school players haven't been effective until their third year (yes there have been exceptions) in the league... so essentially you pay a player like a star for a few years, and when he's ready to earn his money you only have a season or two before they are up for free agency. I do think that eventually Lebron will be a decent-to-good player, but I'm not sure that he's the best guy out there.

Anthony, on the other hand, is dominating against players 3 to 4 years his senior, on the second highest level of basketball in the country. His shot is much more refined and overall he seems more polished. I would expect him to be much more useful earlier, giving you a player earning his money for much more of his deal. He's a more proven commodity, and too me the better (safer) pick.

Who would you pick?

ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
User #2735
n00b

WIthout a doubt, I'd take Anthony. James may turn out to be the best basketball player ever (unlikely), but he's not going to do squat for a couple of years. Anthony looks good enough to convince me that he'll make an impact for whichever team drafts him, and that team will be way better off than the one with LeBron James.
User #2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:02 AM   #3
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Darko Milicic
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I would take James, because Anthony will not be available to draft this year.

Seriously, it would be a PR nightmare not to select James #1 overall, regardless of who you thought was going to turn out better.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 04-07-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'll be rooting for Marmel here. (hoping against hope)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
I would take James, because Anthony will not be available to draft this year.

You wish Good luck to 'Cuse tonight.

I agree with you about the PR disaster part, which is why Lebron will still go #1; and why I would not make it as a NBA GM
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

One thing to remember about LeBron is that unlike many other high schoolers, he has played against pros. I remember when MJ had his summer workout LeBron played as a high school Junior against several journeymen pros and there were comments that he was one of the top 2-3 players on the court. No one is a sure thing, but I'd still go with LeBron at this point.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Lebron is clearly the safe choice. If you pick anyone else and they bust, everyone will say what a fool you were. If LeBron busts, well everyone thought he was going to be the best, so you don't lose anything.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Re: Lebron or Anthony...

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottVib
While I think Lebron (courtesy of the hype machine) will be the #1, I would contend that Anthony will be better sooner, and if somehow I had the #1 pick, I'd take Anthony over Lebron.

Why?

Lebron looks good, but he's a man among boys playing high school kids. If you watch his games there are an awful lot of 5'10" white guys out on the floor not generally the caliber of competition you see in the NBA. His jump shot is still suspect. Most of these high school players haven't been effective until their third year (yes there have been exceptions) in the league... so essentially you pay a player like a star for a few years, and when he's ready to earn his money you only have a season or two before they are up for free agency. I do think that eventually Lebron will be a decent-to-good player, but I'm not sure that he's the best guy out there.

For the record, I'm not criticising your personal opinion here, but I see comments like yours by many people (including sportswriters). So, anyway...

Was Kwame Brown playing among men in high school? What about Tyson Chandler? Eddy Curry? Brown was the #1 overall pick straight out of high school, and Chandler and Curry could have been too. There wasn't criticism levied on them because they "only played high school ball."

LeBron dominated high school basketball for 3 years, meaning he also dominated players 2 years older than him (just remember back to your high school days...how big did some seniors look when you were a sophomore?) on some of the top teams in the country.

You mention how it takes time for these high school kids to come in and contribute big-time (with exceptions). Why is this? Mostly its because their bodies aren't ready for NBA abuse. Kobe, Garnett, O'Neal, McGrady, the guys mentioned above, etc... came in very skinny. Once they grew (or grow) into the bodies that are suited to their game, they (will) bec(a/o)me big-time players.

You mention exceptions--I'll give you Amare Stoudemire as this "exception." He has been a tremendous contributor for the Suns. In fact, if you could re-draft this year, some teams would pick him #1, with the rest preferring Yao and picking Amare #2.

What has made him so good? Luck? No, rather, IMO, its because he came out of high school with an NBA body, and that has allowed him to compete at a very high level and maintain the physical punishment. LeBron has an NBA body already, which is why I feel he will be an impact player very quickly.

Oh, and I echo the other statements that not drafting LeBron would be a PR disaster.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

Darko

LeBron may be a consideration, but there's no way I'd even think about taking Anthony over him.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-07-2003 at 10:57 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 AM   #11
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Hate to join the club, but Darko looks like he's extremely special.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:17 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: Lebron or Anthony...

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottVib
Lebron looks good, but he's a man among boys playing high school kids. If you watch his games there are an awful lot of 5'10" white guys out on the floor not generally the caliber of competition you see in the NBA. His jump shot is still suspect.

LeBron's been playing against school boys, Carmello has been playing against college kids, Darko's been playing against pros. Not NBA level guys, granted, but it's probably better experience than the other guys have been up against.

Plus he's supposed to have a pretty decent shot too.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

Darko would be my second choice, but I think it would be a mistake not to take the chance on LeBron.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:37 AM   #14
vtbub
College Starter

When LeBron puts on a show as good as Anthony did on that stage Saturday, then I'd take him.

Right now Anthony is the better player.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anthony looks good enough to convince me that he'll make an impact for whichever team drafts him

I agree. Instant impact in the NBA, Lebron will take a few years.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:48 PM   #16
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

If I needed to win next season, I'd take Anthony. He's a bit more advanced in his development and a future all star.

But, Lebron's special.

His body is big enough to play in the NBA right now. I think in his rookie year he'll be an average player off the bench but if he's not a budding all-star by even his second season I will be extremely surprised.

I love Carmelo Anthony, don't get me wrong. He's a stud and if he waited another year he'd be the early consensus for the #1 pick and worthy of it.

I just don't see how anybody could pass on Lebron at this point though.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:55 PM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It sounds like there might be some GM's out there who are secretly hoping to get the #2 or #3 pick so they can get Darko or Anthony. (Owners, I expect, would draft LeBron even if he couldn't play basketball just for the season tickets he will sell).

If the team with the #1 pick is able to trade it for a king's ransom to the team with the #2 or #3 pick, do you think they would be able to do that, or would the PR flack still be too great?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #18
Daimyo
College Starter

This is the season when its better to have the 2nd or 3rd pick.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #19
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Carmelo Anthony!!

If I'm the Nuggets or the Cavs or the Clippers, etc., I want the sure thing.... although in the Cavs case there may be a mass revolt against the Franchise by Cleveland'ers if James wasn't picked.

If it is a team like Houston or someone that lucks out and gets the #1 Pick in the Lottery, I may say James is the choice. They've got more flexibility to pick the guy with the bigger Question Mark but very possibily better upside.

If it's my team though, I take Carmelo Anthony regardless.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-07-2003 at 01:00 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Thumbs up

The Pistons own the Grizzlies first round pick (unless it's #1 overall), and if they are lucky enough to get the second or third overall pick, I would be extremely happy to get either Anthony or Darko. Adding either of them to an already strong Pistons team would be extremely nice. I can't wait until the lottery.....
Old 04-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #21
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I voted for James, even though I am a huge Melo fan.

James is extremely good and has an even bigger upside than Anthony. I have seen James a couple of times on TV.

We talk a lot about the hype, but there has never been hype for a High School Junior before (when the James hype began). I cannot even remember nearly this much hype for a High School Senior who was going straight to the pros. On top of all that, there is rarely this much hype for a College player going pro.

I really believe all this hype is there because James is that good. regardless of the PR issues, I would take him even over my favorite player, Carmelo.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 04-07-2003 at 01:07 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #22
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Schmidty, how did the Pistons get Memphis's 1st Round Pick anyway?

Does it have something to do with Otis Thorpe?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #23
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Marmel, I agree James has got to be awfully good considering all the press that he has gotten, but I think that is also part of the issue as to why folks question why he may actually not go #1. I think people really do wonder about all of the ESPN-type Hype this kid is getting... Is this just a Media-Made #1 Pick (I know it's really not, the kid is good, but do you catch my drift here?)
Old 04-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #24
User #2735
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
We talk a lot about the hype, but there has never been hype for a High School Junior before (when the James hype began)
Damon Bailey
Old 04-07-2003, 01:35 PM   #25
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Schmidty, how did the Pistons get Memphis's 1st Round Pick anyway?

Does it have something to do with Otis Thorpe?

Yup. The Pistons traded Otis to Vancouver back in '98 for a conditional 1st rounder. Last year, the condition was if the pick was in the top 5, the Grizz got to keep it. This year it's only protected if the Grizz get the top overall pick. If the pick isn't conveyed this year, the Pistons get it no matter what next year.

Considering the fact that Memphis has the 6th worst record in the NBA, the Pistons will likely get the pick this year.

Just for the record, the Pistons also own conditional 1st round picks from Denver and Sacramento.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:18 PM   #26
vtbub
College Starter

In LeBron's case, I guess it comes down to what attitude he shows to scouts now that it's crunch time. If he has read too many of his press clippings, then I would take somebody else.

Whoever gets him is going to have a crappy team. How well will any of these kids do from being the man on a good team to being the only man on a really rotten team. And how will that effect the player's ability to perform under the added stress of losing.

If LeBron plays like Kevin Garnett, he'd be pretty good.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #27
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
If LeBron plays like Kevin Garnett, he'd be pretty good.

I see there being 3 big differences between James' game and Garnetts.

1. Better Shot - Much has been made that this is the weakness of of James' game.
2. Height - James is in the 6'7" - 6'8" range. Garnett is around 7'1" (he's taller than the 6'11" he's listed at). This gives Garnett the versatillity to be able to play any position including the 4 and center. Also he's with shot blocking obviously.
3. More of a Team Player - From what I've heard James has been known to take a lot of shots and force some. Garnett's a team player who will usually pass to an open teammate than go to the basket if he has someone on him (though this has been one of the biggest criticisms of Garnett, not taking over toward the end of close games).

James will probably be good, though I doubt it will be in the same mold or style as KG.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:45 PM   #28
Bee
Pro Starter

James has a completely different type of game than Garnett. He's probably much more comparable to Magic Johnson.

I'd also say James is probably as much if not more of a team player than Garnett. From my understanding, in high school he'd pass the ball when he should have taken the shot. I think sometimes he'd get frustrated and take over games, but that was not his general style. He does need to work on his shot, but that's not uncommon for all players coming into the NBA (with the possible exception of some of the Europeans ).
Old 04-07-2003, 03:57 PM   #29
rexalllsc
Banned

James is a very good player...and will be very good in the NBA...the only thing I'm worried about is that right now he's simply running by and jumping over people in HS...
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I'd also say James is probably as much if not more of a team player than Garnett. From my understanding, in high school he'd pass the ball when he should have taken the shot. I think sometimes he'd get frustrated and take over games, but that was not his general style. He does need to work on his shot, but that's not uncommon for all players coming into the NBA (with the possible exception of some of the Europeans ).

I haven't seen James play, but I have heard him refered to as a selfish player at times. It could very well be he's gotten the reputations because he's just taken over games being so much better than everyone else he's playing with, meaning this could very well change when he's playing in the NBA with guys at his level.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:04 PM   #31
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I'll be rooting for Marmel here. (hoping against hope)

Same here.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:07 PM   #32
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I'd take Freddy Adu.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:07 PM   #33
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I haven't seen James play, but I have heard him refered to as a selfish player at times. It could very well be he's gotten the reputations because he's just taken over games being so much better than everyone else he's playing with, meaning this could very well change when he's playing in the NBA with guys at his level.

I would perceive just the opposite. With what very little my wife and I know, I told her about Anthony and her only comment was the NBA will certainly change him (for the worse). James, with his selfish play, should fit right in.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:12 PM   #34
Craptacular
College Starter

It depends on which team I run. If I'm the Clippers and I get the #1 pick, I would arrange a deal where I take LeBron, and the other 28 teams pay me $10 million each to thank me for ruining his career.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 PM   #35
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney

That's strange because the majority of the articles I've read indicates he's one of the most unselfish players at any level right now. He does have weaknesses (his shooting being the primary one), but I've just always read that he's very unselfish on the court.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:52 PM   #36
User #2735
n00b

"one of the most unselfish players on any level"??

Link please.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:27 PM   #37
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
The Pistons own the Grizzlies first round pick (unless it's #1 overall), and if they are lucky enough to get the second or third overall pick, I would be extremely happy to get either Anthony or Darko. Adding either of them to an already strong Pistons team would be extremely nice. I can't wait until the lottery.....

I would love to see the Pistons take either Darko or 'Melo, but I have pretty good sources inside the Palace who insist that Joe D. is going to be making a HUGE push for Tim Duncan this offseason, and that will involve this pick. So we'll see.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #38
tucker342
Pro Starter

Think about a front line of Duncan and Wallace in the post for the Pistons. All I can say is damn they would be good...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:26 PM   #39
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

I would pick Lebron, cause I think he's going to have a better career...

It's a tough choice though

Last edited by tucker342 : 04-07-2003 at 06:26 PM.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:48 PM   #40
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by User #2735
"one of the most unselfish players on any level"??

Link please.

I was paraphrasing...but here ya go:

nbadraft.net Listed as very unselfish

CNNSI said to be the most unselfish , unassuming basketball star on the court

hoops usa very unselfish player

AAU Reports So team oriented he can be too unselfish.

There's dozens of articles that popped up when I did a search on google with Lebron James and unselfish. That's also the general feeling I've gotten when reading many other articles.

Edit: BTW that's your free one time search by Bee...in the future you'll have to look them up yourself.

Last edited by Bee : 04-07-2003 at 07:54 PM.