Old 04-04-2003, 04:30 PM   #51
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
LeBron James

Hehehehehe.

I go with LaDainian Tomlinson as well. A good young running back gives me time to build up the rest of the team around him over the next couple of years.

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 05:10 PM   #52
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Gotta go with the hometown kid, Donovan McNabb.

I love Vick though.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 05:50 PM   #53
SFL Cat
College Starter

For all you know, Vick could be Kordell II.

I'd go with Jason Taylor, Ray Lewis or Ogden
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:02 PM   #54
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I'd go with Vick without question. Urlacher, Tomlinson or Portis, Julius Peppers and Ogden would be in the mix somewhere.

As for Pace, maybe it was his health. Maybe it was just an off year. Maybe. . . No maybies about it, the guy was average at best last year. I didn't think he was pro bowl worthy, much less #1 player in the NFL worthy.

As for Pennington, I'll be convinced after he does it this season. Right or wrong, I want to see how this kid does after the rest of the league watches some tape and makes some adjustments. Is he truly a "special" Joe Montana type of guy? We'll find out this year.

-------Just a precurser to anyone who fires back that Vick hasn't proven anything either, keep in mind I've been convinced Vick would be great for a long time. He has to disprove that theory in my mind. I've always thought Pennington would be average. He has to convince me he's that special.

Is that fair? I'll be honest, I don't know. I do know that nobody can accuse me of hiding my bias. I also know that my opinion can be changed. I also know that the coming year is HUGE for both of these players, no matter what any of our opinions are of them.

TroyF

Aw, come on, stop taking all my fun away by posting my reponse! And no it's not fair!

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 04-04-2003 at 06:02 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #55
TroyF
Coordinator

Sorry Tarkus, I could see everyone slamming me with the counter arguement long before it came. (#1 rule of debate, know your enemies well)

Saddest part of this whole debate about #1? If Randy Moss had the work ethic and attitude of Marvin Harrison, Moss would win this thing going away.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #56
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Perhaps, but how does it feel to know a jackass with better grammar than your own? ;-)

Lighten up, buddy.

Better grammar? First of all, this is an interent message board and I don't check my words or grammar word for word. If you would like to read one of my college papers, I will be happy to send you one and you can see my real "grammar".

You posted a classless, tasteless, and humorless post and you are trying to work yourself out of it. I dont think that is possible at this time.

Have a nice day, buddy.

Also for those interesting in this thread, I am sorry to thread jack, but I felt like something to had to be said to this asshole.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 04-04-2003 at 07:10 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:12 PM   #57
Bishop
Mascot

Obviously everyone is already on the Vick bandwagon, even though he's not proved anything more than pennington or a dozen other QB's in the past and present.

Then when someone picks a QB such as peyton manning, someone says his stock has dropped over the years...

He's put up almost twice the numbers Vick has every single season for the past 5 seasons... yet his stock has dropped

He hasn't 'won the big game' but neither has Vick. Vick's biggest regular season win was against the Saints... who are a good team, but still a season or two away from being a great team.

His other wins came from the Bungles, Vikings, Lions, Panthers, Giants and Ravens. With the exception of the Ravens, and the Panthers *at times* there wasn't much defense in those games.

and to TroyF who said after teams watch some tapes on Pennington, an see if he can keep up still...

Same applies to Vick, even more so because that actually happen last season... Watch the Tampa Bay games or even the Ravens game. He was COMPLETELY shut down against a serious defense.

BTW, I would go with Priest Holmes as my pick.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:42 PM   #58
FBPro
College Starter

Thing is it is just an opinion question...also everyone of the players named or that could be named is a "crap shoot"............it's just that some are a bigger pile of crap than others.

FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As for Pace, maybe it was his health. Maybe it was just an off year. Maybe. . . No maybies about it, the guy was average at best last year. I didn't think he was pro bowl worthy, much less #1 player in the NFL worthy.

Wow, someone besides me thinks this way. Care to debate this with some of my hard headed friends?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #60
TroyF
Coordinator

Bishop,

Have a problem reading, do we? Let me say it again:

My prediction on Vick=GREAT
My prediction on Pennington=AVERAGE

When those are the predictions, the players have to play their way into them. If we get into a straight comparison of last year, both guys were sensational. Yeah, Vick struggled against the Tampa Bay defense. He can join Rich Gannon, Donovan McNabb, and other pro bowl caliber QB's who did the same. I'm sure all of the Falcons fans out there remember when the Tampa Bay LB covered the Falcon slot WR one on one on a fly route down the center of the field. Blanketed him. On the other hand, he showed he was young on many occasions. We don't know what Vick would have done with Coles, Chrebet and a Curtis Martin. (Just as Chad may have taken the Falcons to the Super Bowl, we just don't know)

Pennington has + and - as well.

The predictions above matter, because it shows where I'm coming from. It also shows I'm NOT on the Vick bandwagen. I've always thought Vick was an incredible player who would have an incredible career. I didn't just watch a highlight reel from VT and determine that.

If 8 games into the season Chad is playing at a pro-bowl level, I'll be the first to come here and shake and congratulate the hand of Tarkus.

2 last things:

1) Vick hasn't been in the league 5 years and didn't start on a regular basis until this year. While Manning had slightly better numbers last year (400 more total yards and 5 more total TD's), Vick's offense average more points.

2) I love your pick of Priest Holmes, but I've heard some really bad things about his offseason. From what I understand the hip isn't healing as well as everyone had hoped. He had to have surgery on it in late March. While they say he'll be 100% by training camp, nobody really knows. As a football fan, I hope he is. He's a fantastic running back.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:26 PM   #61
dread
n00b

Ricky Williams without a doubt, he is beginning his prime and definately makes offensive line easier to play.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:28 PM   #62
tucker342
Pro Starter

Tim Dwight

Gotta choose an Iowa guy!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #63
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

actually I would choose Vick...

He is going to have one hell of a career
Old 04-04-2003, 10:52 PM   #64
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Bishop,

Have a problem reading, do we? Let me say it again:

My prediction on Vick=GREAT
My prediction on Pennington=AVERAGE

When those are the predictions, the players have to play their way into them. If we get into a straight comparison of last year, both guys were sensational. Yeah, Vick struggled against the Tampa Bay defense. He can join Rich Gannon, Donovan McNabb, and other pro bowl caliber QB's who did the same. I'm sure all of the Falcons fans out there remember when the Tampa Bay LB covered the Falcon slot WR one on one on a fly route down the center of the field. Blanketed him. On the other hand, he showed he was young on many occasions. We don't know what Vick would have done with Coles, Chrebet and a Curtis Martin. (Just as Chad may have taken the Falcons to the Super Bowl, we just don't know)

Pennington has + and - as well.

The predictions above matter, because it shows where I'm coming from. It also shows I'm NOT on the Vick bandwagen. I've always thought Vick was an incredible player who would have an incredible career. I didn't just watch a highlight reel from VT and determine that.

If 8 games into the season Chad is playing at a pro-bowl level, I'll be the first to come here and shake and congratulate the hand of Tarkus.

2 last things:

1) Vick hasn't been in the league 5 years and didn't start on a regular basis until this year. While Manning had slightly better numbers last year (400 more total yards and 5 more total TD's), Vick's offense average more points.

2) I love your pick of Priest Holmes, but I've heard some really bad things about his offseason. From what I understand the hip isn't healing as well as everyone had hoped. He had to have surgery on it in late March. While they say he'll be 100% by training camp, nobody really knows. As a football fan, I hope he is. He's a fantastic running back.

TroyF

Nope I don't have any issues reading... If you hadn't noticed, you weren't the only person who picked Vick.

The only part where I was specifically talking about what you said was your arguement about Pennington after teams watch some films on him. and even then, All I said was the same applies to Vick, even more.

I wasn't saying Manning was better then Vick either, but I believe its ridiculous to say something like that about Manning, then pick Vick over his one year. (once again, not just talking about your pick)
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 12:02 AM   #65
Buzzbee
College Starter

I believe that Vick had a great season, but by no means is he a superstar, yet. Until he has several good seasons he is just a one hit wonder. He might get hurt, never fully recover, and end up being mediocre. Or, defenses might adjust to him and learn ways to shut him/falcons offense down (ala Kurt Warner against a 2 deep defense). But based on the question posed he is the person I'd pick as my #1.

My reasons for picking Vick:

Of all the players currently in the NFL, Vick has the greatest POTENTIAL to be a true superstar. The QB position has the greatest impact on a game. He has to read the defenses, make the right play calls, make good decisions when passing, have the leadership skills to motivate and guide his teammates in the crunch, and also have a little bit of physical ability. Vick has demonstrated flashes of this in his brief career.

You can build a team around a QB. I don't know of too many teams that are built around an offensive lineman or cornerback. You could probably argue a MLB on defense (Ray Lewis) or a RB on offense (Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, etc.), but other than that, there aren't too many positions that can carry a team.

Money. Who is going to sell merchandise and put fannies in the seats? PROBABLY not Chad Pennington or Ladanian Tomlinson. At least not as much as Vick.

He's young!!! Yeah, Jerry Rice is probably the greatest receiver ever. And you'd love to have him on your team, but he'll retire soon. Vick played two years of college ball (and went to the Natl. Championship game as a FRESHMAN). He started in his second year. If he stays healthy, which is a concern, he will be around for a while.

The biggest drawback, in MY opnion, is that he has shown he is somewhat injury prone. Nothing serious, but enough to keep him out of a game or two.

Regardless, I'd still pick Vick.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:18 AM   #66
tucker342
Pro Starter

If you're trying to build a team for the future, you would probably want Vick...

He just going to keep getting better and better
Old 04-05-2003, 06:56 AM   #67
ColtCrazy
College Starter

David Carr or Tom Brady. Smart young promising QBs. Vick, while exciting, is too erractic a passer for my liking.
Defense, I'd start out with Urlacher, just because he's got some age on Lewis.
I'm a huge Colts fan, but Manning's stock has dropped. Watch him play, and he doesn't look off safeties. Maybe once a game, he'll look one off, and it's always a good play. Otherwise, he zooms in on his receiver (usually Harrison) and throws into trouble.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:02 AM   #68
Schmidty
Coordinator

I can't believe that I'm the only person to pick Faulk so far.

A stud running back like that can greatly impact the game by taking pressure off of his defense, opening up the passing game, and controling the clock. Seems like a player that's first pick worthy to me.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:12 AM   #69
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
I can't believe that I'm the only person to pick Faulk so far.

But the shelf life of a running back is so short in the league (Emmitt aside). Agreed with all your reasons for taking a stud back, but I'd rather have Tomlinson who'll be around for a while than Faulk who's got some milage on him and has started to show some wear.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:53 PM   #70
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'd go with Priest Holmes if he can come back healthy or Ricky Williams.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 PM   #71
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I will take the easy way out and say McNabb. I would rather trade down and see how things fall into place, I could probably trade the pick to New Orleans for at least half of their draft.

I would also hope that the Penington selection was by a team within my division so I could play them twice a year.

If we could take this back several years than I would change my answer to Barry Sanders, but other than that I would avoid a running back for durability concerns. Of course there would also be that guy named Jerry Rice that would be a tempting pick as well at that point.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:38 AM   #72
korme
Go Reds

Corey Dillon, and get him a fuckin' qua'ta back!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:51 AM   #73
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:

And I'm going to hold you to that!

Tarkus
Old 04-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #74
mrushh
High School Varsity

HF P, why take Davis when you can have Tomlinson and still be a true-purple Horned Frog.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #75
QuikSand
lolzcat

While I recognize that QB is the obvious impact position, I think there are still holes in the games of most of the young'ns being mentioned there.

Picking a player right now, based on what he has and how long he ought to have it, I think I'd take MLB Ray Lewis.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #76
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

"I could probably trade the pick to New Orleans for at least half of their draft. - Eagle Fan"

That was Ditka....man he was horrible at drafting players....I think if you pressured him hard enough you could probably get him to give you the entire draft plus a # 1 the next season....

I will join the few here who are not Vick fans....his passing #s were not that good last season, and that is important for a QB....having someone run around is great and all but I will take a pocket passer over a scrambler anyday.

Since I have seen some people say Tomlinson, i think he will be a very good back...but I will have to say Duece McAllister....before he injured his ankle he was averaging well over 100 yards a game. He was the reason the Saints offense was so explosive this season. On a bad ankle he ran for 100 yards against the Bucs, then 127 against Baltimor.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:51 PM   #77
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mrushh
HF P, why take Davis when you can have Tomlinson and still be a true-purple Horned Frog.

Kenneth Davis is the standard answer to all NFL questions. Lest no one forget the Temple Tornado!
Old 04-06-2003, 10:57 PM   #78
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Corey Dillon, and get him a fuckin' qua'ta back!

For some reason I'm not surprised you said that

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
If we could take this back several years than I would change my answer to Barry Sanders, but other than that I would avoid a running back for durability concerns. Of course there would also be that guy named Jerry Rice that would be a tempting pick as well at that point.

Now there's a good question, Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders both in their prime, who do you pick?

I would have to say Jerry, cause he is by far the best Reciever of all time, plus he's my favorite player.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:09 PM   #79
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Betweem those 2 I would have to go with Barry.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:09 PM   #80
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Better grammar? First of all, this is an interent message board and I don't check my words or grammar word for word. If you would like to read one of my college papers, I will be happy to send you one and you can see my real "grammar".

You posted a classless, tasteless, and humorless post and you are trying to work yourself out of it. I dont think that is possible at this time.

Have a nice day, buddy.

Also for those interesting in this thread, I am sorry to thread jack, but I felt like something to had to be said to this asshole.

"Classless and tasteless" seem par for the course around here, college boy. As for humorless, that's a matter of opinion. I post a few dead guys' names in jest, and you're the only one getting his panties in a bunch. Chill out.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:27 PM   #81
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Guess he wants to show one his college papers because he had a month to look it over and use spell check. Unless its one of the ones that someone else wrote for him.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:40 PM   #82
sabotai
General Manager

Marvin Harrison
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #83
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Amen Sabotai. I thought only us Colt fans gave Marvin his just dues. It seems that no matter what he does all you hear about is T.O. or Moss.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #84
sabotai
General Manager

Harrison is better than either Owne or Moss. MAYBE if we are talking just talent, I would say Owens and Moss over Harrison, but talent is not the only factor.

Owens and Moss let their ego's and stubbornness get in the way and it decreases their ability on the field. IMO, Harrison contributes more to his team than either Owens or Moss does to theirs.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #85
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
"Classless and tasteless" seem par for the course around here, college boy. As for humorless, that's a matter of opinion. I post a few dead guys' names in jest, and you're the only one getting his panties in a bunch. Chill out.

Apparently we have different definitions of classless and tasteless. Sure this board has its far share of controversy, but posting a player who died a tragic death and saying you would take him first is pure lack of class. I don’t see anyone submitting your post for the quote list. Also if you read the thread you will see a couple of other posters expressing that your post was wrong.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #86
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

*WARNING: This thread may self-destruct after one more flame-post...*