Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2003, 02:07 AM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Angry NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck...

After years of talk about a movie being made about Don Haskins and the Texas Western 1966 NCAA championship team it looks like a film is finally in the works. But wait, who do they get to play The Bear? Fuckin' Ben Affleck! Shoot me now...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basketball saga teams Ben & Jerry
You must be registered to view the site.

Ben Affleck has committed to star in "Glory Road," a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Disney drama about the college hoops coach who shattered the color barrier by leading the first all-black lineup of players to the NCAA championship.
Affleck will play coach Don Haskins, whose 1966 Texas Western team beat an all-white team from Kentucky.

Project reunites Affleck with Bruckheimer, with whom he worked on the Michael Bay-directed films "Armageddon" and "Pearl Harbor."

No director has been set, but the hoops pic will become Affleck's replacement film after Disney shelved the Betty Thomas-directed "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past."

The halting of that film fueled reports that Disney had lost faith in Affleck's star power after the dismal failure of "Gigli" -- a point hotly denied by studio production chief Nina Jacobson. Her argument is certainly bolstered by the speed with which she worked to find a replacement project for the thesp. Jacobson not only worked with Endeavor to roll Affleck's deal into "Glory Road," she also committed to a second picture that hasn't yet been determined.

Chris Cleveland-scripted film is "Hoosiers" meets "Remember the Titans": When Haskins was named head coach, he headed right to the playground to recruit players. While the major college teams used slow-tempo offenses, Haskins' teams revolutionized the college game with a run-and-gun style that overwhelmed the opposition. He won the NCAA title four years after taking over the team and helped open the college game to African-Americans.

Affleck is expected to begin shooting "Glory Road" in early 2004. He has two upcoming films in the can: "Surviving Christmas" and the John Woo-directed "Paycheck."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
God, I can already tell that this is going to be terrible. Haskins deserves so much better...

Also, Haskins teams were always known for their great defense. He always played a tough man to man D and kept the score low. So whats this crap about him using a run and gun offense? Pure fucking Hollywood.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-31-2003 at 02:10 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Seems more like "Hoosiers" meets "Pearl Harbor".
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

What the story leaves out is J-Lo's playing Adolph Rupp.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Don Haskins gets a movie after him before Clem Haskins? Just doesn't seem right...

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

You know I don't mind Ben Affleck whatsoever. I don't like alot of the movies he has been in, but I somehow don't blame him.

Now I don't necessarily think he is a great or even a good actor, but I don't mind him.
Glengoyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:47 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

There's an ESPN Page 3 article kinda sorta about this flick. And the dude writing the article has the same objections to it that I do...

Glory Road

Fuckin Affleck...

Old 04-22-2004, 01:00 AM   #7
bbor
Pro Starter

Ya thong wearin bastard quit your whining

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:12 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

How would you like it if Affleck starred in some movie about the Maple Leafs????????

Old 04-22-2004, 02:01 AM   #9
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Could be worse... The team could be Snoop Dog, Puff Daddy, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Maurice Clarett, and Beyonce as the girl that broke the sex barrier...
Old 04-22-2004, 02:07 AM   #10
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

And hey, maybe the good news is that someone will do an edit like they did to remove Jar-Jar from The Phantom Menace...
Old 04-22-2004, 02:10 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
Could be worse... The team could be Snoop Dog, Puff Daddy, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Maurice Clarett, and Beyonce as the girl that broke the sex barrier...

I wouldn't put it past the bastards to do something like that...

Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
How would you like it if Affleck starred in some movie about the Maple Leafs????????

You mean something like Affleck landing the starring role in "The Bill Barilko Story"?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

It could NOT be worse. Affleck isis the kiss of death.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #14
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I don't get it. Is Affleck the new Kevin Costner?

I think Costner gets a bad rap, because while he has been bad in some roles, he has been GREAT in others.

I feel the same way about Affleck. Well except he has neither risen to the heights, nor plunged to the abysmal depths that Cosnter has in his roles. I don't think he is awful.
Glengoyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #15
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I feel the same way about Affleck. Well except he has neither risen to the heights, nor plunged to the abysmal depths that Cosnter has in his roles. I don't think he is awful.

I agree with you on Costner, but has Affleck been good in anything besides Good Will Hunting? I can't think of a single role where I like him. Maybe Chasing Amy, but I am not a big fan of that movie. Everything else I have thought he was awful in.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He was great as basketball player number 10 in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

dola: Looking back, there are probably 6 movies I've seen him in that I would say he did a good job, and at least two of those were bad movies despite him not because of him.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #18
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Affleck was good in Dazed and Confused. "Ya'll ready to bust some ass!"
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Kevin Smith has the ability to put Ben in his best light. I've liked his roles anytime he's appeared in a Kevin Smith film. But, I haven't seen Jersey Girl yet, so I reserve the right to change my mind
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #20
Celeval
Pro Starter

Dogma.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:19 AM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Update

Variety gives this update:

"Disney-based Jerry Bruckheimer Films is searching the streets of Los Angeles and New York for African-American male basketball players to be cast in the upcoming featurefeature film "Glory Road," which starts shooting this summer.
"Glory Road," to be directed by commercials helmer James Gartner, tells the true story of college basketball coach Don Haskins, who changed history for the NCAA when his all-black lineup of players won the championship in 1966.

Ben AffleckBen Affleck will play Haskins, whose integrated Texas Western team (now UTEP) in 1966 beat an all-white team from the U. of Kentucky. Haskins' team was among the first college teams to abandon slow-tempo offenses in favor of the high-speed style that dominates the game today.

Haskins won the NCAA title four years after taking over the team and helped further open the college game to African-Americans."

"Haskins' team was among the first college teams to abandon slow-tempo offenses in favor of the high-speed style that dominates the game today."

That line still chaps my ass. Haskins was a defensive wiz and certainly never ran an up-tempo style of offense. If they can't get that one little fact straight how many other facts are they going to butcher in the film???

Old 06-30-2004, 12:29 AM   #22
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I just can't really get into sports films made by Disney. Are we really to believe that throughout an entire football/hockey/basketball season that not a single curse word is uttered?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 AM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Project reunites Affleck with Bruckheimer, with whom he worked on the Michael Bay-directed films "Armageddon" and "Pearl Harbor."

Is this supposed to make it seem like a good thing?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 AM   #24
Franklinnoble
Banned

In other news, Ben Affleck is teaming up with Ron Jeremy to tag-team JeeberD's mother in a new release from Vivid Video.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:58 AM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

How did you know that my mother is Jenna Jamison?

Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #26
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
How did you know that my mother is Jenna Jamison?

She was my teacher in the second grade.

I was smart enough to not tell anyone about the whole thing.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

Haskins hopes movie is true to history

EL PASO, Texas (AP) -- Don Haskins says he has been approached by filmmakers more than a few times in the nearly 30 years since he helped shatter the color barrier in college basketball. He even agreed to a deal once, though that film was never made.

But when Walt Disney Pictures approached him a few years ago to make a movie about his 1966 Texas Western team -- the first ever to win a national title with five black starters -- Haskins didn't hesitate.

"I always liked their movies and I thought they were movies kids could watch, that everybody could watch," said Haskins, 74, who coached 38 years at the school now known as the University of Texas at El Paso.

The film, Glory Road, will star Ben Affleck as Haskins and is tentatively scheduled to begin filming this year.

For the Hall of Fame former coach who is still revered in El Paso -- and to many others in this far West Texas Border city where the NCAA title is still a great source of pride -- it's important to get the facts right.

"I just hope it's real good," said Haskins, who has read some of the first scripts and found them to be fair. "I hope it tells the true story and I think it will. ... I'm thrilled to death and flattered that Ben Affleck was chosen."

Haskins has always been a reluctant hero about his role in changing sports history. He says he simply picked the best players for the 72-65 victory over Kentucky's heavily favored and all-white basketball powerhouse.

The racial intolerance that poisoned so much of the country hadn't found a foothold in El Paso, long a multicultural city. No one thought it odd Haskins was recruiting in the black neighborhoods of New York, Detroit and Gary, Ind.

After the Miners won, universities all over the country increased their recruiting of black players. Haskins, who had a record of 719-354 and ranks 18th in coaching victories, was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1997.

Open casting calls continue this week, with auditions in New Orleans on Tuesday and New York on Wednesday. Casting director Ronna Kress, who worked on Remember the Titans with Denzel Washington, said casting this film may be her biggest challenge.

"Really what we're targeting is real basketball players who, we hope, can act," she said. "There are kids I've loved as actors and then we take them out on the court and they can't dribble the ball."

Line producer Andy Given grew up in El Paso and said he understands how local people feel about Haskins.

"I've always wanted to work on this movie, since I was a little kid," Given said.

Given said movie executives are scouting filming locations, including El Paso, but don't yet have a schedule.

If wardrobe preparations are any clue, the movie will be true to history, said Joe Gomez, a team aficionado for 40 years and curator for a planned traveling exhibit about the game.

"They are almost anal about making sure they are accurate in terms of historical uniforms," said Gomez, who directed the Disney team to some reference material.

Susie Gaines, director of the El Paso Film Commission, said the coach isn't the only one hoping for an accurate portrayal.

"Everyone here loves Don Haskins, so it's very important to everybody," she said

Quote:
"I just hope it's real good," said Haskins, who has read some of the first scripts and found them to be fair. "I hope it tells the true story and I think it will.

This quote makes me feel better about the project. If Haskins says that the script seems pretty fair, I trust him...

Old 08-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

The movie poster has been released... :drool:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10756

Old 09-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

The trailer is out! The trailer is out! The trailer is out!!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5908

Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #30
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Bump. Un-archive.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #31
AgustusM
College Prospect

bleh - Ben is fine in the Kevin Smith roles - but when they cast him as Jack Ryan it made me sick - and I was 100% correct in my assessment he ruined one of my favorite Clancy Books - Harrsion Ford was the only actor I liked as Jack Ryan.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #32
JeeberD
General Manager

Hmmm...maybe I bumped the wrong thread. Ben Affleck is no long involved with this film in any way, shape, or form. The role of Coach Don Haskins is being played by Josh Lucas...

Old 09-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #33
Rizon
Pro Starter

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 AM   #34
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
bleh - Ben is fine in the Kevin Smith roles - but when they cast him as Jack Ryan it made me sick - and I was 100% correct in my assessment he ruined one of my favorite Clancy Books - Harrsion Ford was the only actor I liked as Jack Ryan.

I totally agree with that statement... Harrison Ford WAS Jack Ryan to me... Not Alec Baldwin in Hfro or Ben Aflac in Sum of all fears..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #35
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Interesting, since HFRO is about the only Baldwin movie I really like and never really cared for Ford in the role (too old). It didn't help that they tried to hammer the books into ungodly shapes for the movies that Ford starred in, though SoAF was mangled beyond recognition (I didn't see it, mind you, but it grates on my un-PC nerves that they shifted the villain from an Arab terrorist to a neo-Nazi). HFRO, of course, couldn't fit neatly into a two hour movie, but the general story was there and they kept the Cold War angle.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #36
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.
Word bitch. Phantoms like a motherfucker.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #37
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Interesting, since HFRO is about the only Baldwin movie I really like and never really cared for Ford in the role (too old). It didn't help that they tried to hammer the books into ungodly shapes for the movies that Ford starred in, though SoAF was mangled beyond recognition (I didn't see it, mind you, but it grates on my un-PC nerves that they shifted the villain from an Arab terrorist to a neo-Nazi). HFRO, of course, couldn't fit neatly into a two hour movie, but the general story was there and they kept the Cold War angle.

Baldwin was the only actor, in my mind, that did Jack Ryan right.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #38
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Baldwin was the only actor, in my mind, that did Jack Ryan right.

I agree. I love Ford, but he was too old.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

*sigh*

Fuck Ben Affleck, people. Concentrate on the damn MOVIE!!!

Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #40
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
*sigh*

Since Ben is no longer involved with this project, is there any new info on it besides the name of the actor that replaced Ben?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #41
JeeberD
General Manager

Yes...THE FREAKING TRAILER IS OUT! AND I PROVIDED A LINK FOR IT! SO WATCH IT!

Old 09-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #42
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Jeebs, question about the movie-

Do you think Ben Affleck is still going to go see it?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #43
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Ben Affleck gave the movie 2 thumbs down.. and recommends you rent Paycheck instead
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:53 AM   #44
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
*sigh*

You want us to fuck Ben Affleck? Um no thanks, we'll leave the gay sex to you.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote