Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #51
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
I read somewhere that the ammount that Wal-Mart donated compared to how much they make in a year is the equivalent of a family with $10,000 donating $1.70.
I still think it's great that they're helping and all, I just thought that was an interesting fact.

More affective as a family with $100,000 donating $17.10. If a family is only making $10,000, then a buck-seventy is something.

HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #52
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
More affective as a family with $100,000 donating $17.10. If a family is only making $10,000, then a buck-seventy is something.

The average Wal-Mart employee certainly makes a lot closer to $10,000 than $100,000 but that's a different discussion, I guess.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #53
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
I read somewhere that the ammount that Wal-Mart donated compared to how much they make in a year is the equivalent of a family with $10,000 donating $1.70.
I still think it's great that they're helping and all, I just thought that was an interesting fact.

I'm not trying to belittle the donation since it is a lot of money in one shot and Wal-Mart is also leveraging their infrastructure, but it does put the donation in perspective. It is the equivalent of an average family donating 5 bucks or so, so let us not make it out to be anything more than it is...

But again, every little bit contributes...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 09-07-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #54
Galaxy
Coordinator

I saw on TV today that Qatar and UAE each donated $100 million.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #55
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

According to FN, that makes the fact they treat their women like shite perfectly OK because they did one good thing.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #56
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Ewiak
According to FN, that makes the fact they treat their women like shite perfectly OK because they did one good thing.

Qatar and UAE are pretty good in terms of treating it citzens, likely the only two "progressive" Islamic Middle Eastern countries. Saudi Arabia's royal rulers are scum thought.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #57
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Problem with those that hate Walmart is that I could make pretty much the same argument regarding those that buy non-American automobiles. You support non-Union workers/companies when you do that and then on top of it all that money is funneled out of the U.S. back to those countries of origin.

The non-American companies build their new factories in southern right-to-work states that can keep unions out and the vast majority of the auto parts come from the home countries further eroding the U.S. industrial base trying to compete.

Now I'm not telling you that you should buy American, that's completely your choice. Just noting the irony that many of those same Walmart bashers wouldn't consider giving up their own prized Honda or Toyota.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 09-09-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:17 AM   #58
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Now I'm not telling you that you should buy American, that's completely your choice. Just noting the irony that many of those same Walmart bashers wouldn't consider giving up their own prized Honda or Toyota.

That may be the case with some, but I doubt it is as many as you think. Even if it is a lot of people, how many do you think have models that the US manufacturers refuse to even compete with? It's hard to "buy American" if you want a 4-door hybrid car. They have simply chose not to compete in that market.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 AM   #59
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Problem with those that hate Walmart is that I could make pretty much the same argument regarding those that buy non-American automobiles. You support non-Union workers/companies when you do that and then on top of it all that money is funneled out of the U.S. back to those countries of origin.

The non-American companies build their new factories in southern right-to-work states that can keep unions out and the vast majority of the auto parts come from the home countries further eroding the U.S. industrial base trying to compete.

Jeep for me baby!! but it is making some strange noises lately near the 100k mark. Taking it in next thursday and hoping its a cheap fix.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #60
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This whole buying Toyota/Honda while hating Walmart is garbage. By the same token, I could criticize Flasch for getting poor gas mileage on his Jeep and therefore supplying the damn oil companies.

Just try to do what's right at home. Take care of your own backyard. And, like Flasch, admit when someone on the other side actually does good. Partisanship makes my hair fall out.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #61
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
This whole buying Toyota/Honda while hating Walmart is garbage. By the same token, I could criticize Flasch for getting poor gas mileage on his Jeep and therefore supplying the damn oil companies.

Just try to do what's right at home. Take care of your own backyard. And, like Flasch, admit when someone on the other side actually does good. Partisanship makes my hair fall out.

keep in mind, the Jeep was a hand me down from my parents...so not much choice there, im just hoping it drives forever OHHHHH also keep in mind I work 4 doors down from my house so gas rarely plays a role.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #62
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca

I don't understand the Toyota/Honda argument. Aren't they more "American-made" (not brand, but made) then US-based brands?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #63
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I don't understand the Toyota/Honda argument. Aren't they more "American-made" (not brand, but made) then US-based brands?

I stand by my statements. The point of the comparision is in regards to the union pay scale and the affiliated suppliers. Non-union plants in the south pay decent wages at present to keep the unions out. But if the unions get broken in the north then expect those wages to go down as a result. Just talking in broad generalities here, not going to cover every exception.

The bigger problem is the affiliated auto suppliers. U.S. based suppliers tend to be union (the bigger ones, anyways, like Visteon, ect.) The non-U.S. brands tend to get many or most parts from overseas even when being built in the U.S. And then the profits from the car sales get funneled back to the home country.

Again, not saying you should only buy American, just that when you drive your Toyota to the non-Walmart store to buy your goods your not being as 'alturistic' or friendly to the U.S. worker as you think you are. Also, with the Japanese getting record profits at the expense of U.S. auto companies Japan's 'gift' of $1 million for the Katrina victims is really 'quaint." I don't think that would even cover fuel costs for a week of flying protection for them from our aircraft carriers.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #64
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Good for Wal-Mart... but this wonderfull gesture doesn't instantly forgive them for the bad things they've done and are still doing for labour, competition, small business, trade, etc.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #65
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Good for Wal-Mart... but this wonderfull gesture doesn't instantly forgive them for the bad things they've done and are still doing for labour, competition, small business, trade, etc.

It's a mix bag. I agree some of the tatics are terrible, but I believe what comes around will come around. As for small business argument, they don't provide better compensation (and less, in regards of promotions) then Wal-Mart does.