Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

Nextel Cup: Tonight's Race

Anyone gonna watch the last race tonight before the Chase of the Cup? Should be a great race. Lot's of aggressive driving under the lights, at a fun track to watch.

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
dervack
College Prospect

Yeah, it'll fun to see some of the drivers trying to drive into the chase get frustrated by any little bump another chase driver might get them. Also, the first after-crash interview from one of those guys might just be a classic. Too bad they start the chase at such a boring track.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Yeah, it'll fun to see some of the drivers trying to drive into the chase get frustrated by any little bump another chase driver might get them. Also, the first after-crash interview from one of those guys might just be a classic. Too bad they start the chase at such a boring track.

I agree, the schedule for the "playoffs" is pretty boring to me:

/18/05 Sylvania 300 New Hampshire International Speedway TNT/12:30 p.m. MRN/--
09/25/05 MBNA NASCAR RacePoints 400 Dover International Speedway TNT/12:30 p.m. MRN/--
10/02/05 UAW-Ford 500 Talladega Superspeedway NBC/1:30 p.m. MRN/--
10/09/05 Banquet 400 presented by ConAgra Foods Kansas Speedway NBC/1:30 p.m. MRN/--

10/15/05 UAW-GM Quality 500 Lowe's Motor Speedway NBC/7 p.m. PRN/--
10/23/05 Subway 500 Martinsville Speedway NBC/12:30 p.m. MRN/--
10/30/05 Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500 Atlanta Motor Speedway NBC/12 p.m. PRN/--
11/06/05 Dickies 500 Texas Motor Speedway NBC/3 p.m. PRN/--
11/13/05 Checker Auto Parts 500 Phoenix International Raceway NBC/3 p.m. MRN/--

11/20/05 Ford 400 Homestead-Miami Speedway NBC/3 p.m. MRN/--
Three of the same tracks (1.5 mile D-ring: Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte; three one-mile tracks, and just one short track (Martinsville).

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-10-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I decided to jab my eyes with hot pokers instead.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You know I'll be watching, even if I hate the whole Chase format, that's what we've got to work with so I just have to deal with it.

What I'm left wish for under the best of circumstances(i.e. miracles):
Mayfield, McMurray, Jarrett, Harvick,
What I'm realistically hoping we'll get:
Mayfield, Edwards, Kenseth, McMurray
What I'm expecting:
Edwards, Mayfield, Kenseth, Newman
My nightmare:
Edwards, Kenseth, Newman, Gordon
Old 09-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
You know I'll be watching, even if I hate the whole Chase format, that's what we've got to work with so I just have to deal with it.

What I'm left wish for under the best of circumstances(i.e. miracles):
Mayfield, McMurray, Jarrett, Harvick,
What I'm realistically hoping we'll get:
Mayfield, Edwards, Kenseth, McMurray
What I'm expecting:
Edwards, Mayfield, Kenseth, Newman
My nightmare:
Edwards, Kenseth, Newman, Gordon

I've grown to like the new system. It would be boring without it. I'll be flipping between the race, and the football games (OSU-Texas; Sc-Georgia/LSU-ASU).
Old 09-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I like night races generally, so based on my pre-Chase viewing patterns, so I think my watching of this wouldn't really change either way.

About the only difference I can tell the chase has made for me is that I have to check the points a little earlier in the season & look at them a little more often in order to keep them in the new perspective AND instead of talking about individual races, I think I tend to focus more on the bigger picture.

The one thing I can't really clarify is how much of what I dislike these days is unfairly being blamed on the Chase & how much rightfully belongs on the increasing number of drivers that I simply can't freakin' stand (or at least can't find anything remotely likable about).

There was a time not all that long ago that I generally had 42 drivers I could at least tolerate having win, as long as a certain one didn't. Then one became two, and two became four, and now we're at the point where I'm fairly well disgusted & unhappy if 1/3rd or more of the field wins. Meanwhile there's a corresponding decrease in the number of drivers that I'm actually happy when they do well (as opposed to being neutral). More that I actively dislike & fewer that I actively like = a noticeably less enjoyable experience for me overall.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I like night races generally, so based on my pre-Chase viewing patterns, so I think my watching of this wouldn't really change either way.

About the only difference I can tell the chase has made for me is that I have to check the points a little earlier in the season & look at them a little more often in order to keep them in the new perspective AND instead of talking about individual races, I think I tend to focus more on the bigger picture.

The one thing I can't really clarify is how much of what I dislike these days is unfairly being blamed on the Chase & how much rightfully belongs on the increasing number of drivers that I simply can't freakin' stand (or at least can't find anything remotely likable about).

There was a time not all that long ago that I generally had 42 drivers I could at least tolerate having win, as long as a certain one didn't. Then one became two, and two became four, and now we're at the point where I'm fairly well disgusted & unhappy if 1/3rd or more of the field wins. Meanwhile there's a corresponding decrease in the number of drivers that I'm actually happy when they do well (as opposed to being neutral). More that I actively dislike & fewer that I actively like = a noticeably less enjoyable experience for me overall.

I know what you mean. I grown to dislike more of the drivers, yet I've grown to like the drivers I do like more so. It's made it more interesting to watch in some ways, kinda like watching the Bills-Pats. I really don't like any of the new drivers in the series, preferring the veterans and younger vets (Gordon I've grown to like, Stewart-eh).
Old 09-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I agree, the schedule for the "playoffs" is pretty boring to me:

/18/05 Sylvania 300 New Hampshire International Speedway TNT/12:30 p.m. MRN/--
09/25/05 MBNA NASCAR RacePoints 400 Dover International Speedway TNT/12:30 p.m. MRN/--
10/02/05 UAW-Ford 500 Talladega Superspeedway NBC/1:30 p.m. MRN/--
10/09/05 Banquet 400 presented by ConAgra Foods Kansas Speedway NBC/1:30 p.m. MRN/--

10/15/05 UAW-GM Quality 500 Lowe's Motor Speedway NBC/7 p.m. PRN/--
10/23/05 Subway 500 Martinsville Speedway NBC/12:30 p.m. MRN/--
10/30/05 Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500 Atlanta Motor Speedway NBC/12 p.m. PRN/--
11/06/05 Dickies 500 Texas Motor Speedway NBC/3 p.m. PRN/--
11/13/05 Checker Auto Parts 500 Phoenix International Raceway NBC/3 p.m. MRN/--

11/20/05 Ford 400 Homestead-Miami Speedway NBC/3 p.m. MRN/--
Three of the same tracks (1.5 mile D-ring: Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte; three one-mile tracks, and just one short track (Martinsville).

Talladega and the last race at homestead will be the only ones worht watching. If it were up to me DAYTONA will be the first ans LAST race of the season, and a road course should also be involved in the palyoffs.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Dola: Tonight may be a very fiery and exciting night with alot of hard racing. Lets hoe its a good one. Theres a potential of a major shuffle between I think 9-13 place. I hope its great racing tonite.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

4 Lead changes in 4 laps. If this trend continues.....
Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Pretty conservative so far. Gordon just can't get it together.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lap 213: The caution is out.

- Jeff Gordon makes two pit stops to fix the damage

Lap 211: Jeff Gordon has pancaked the wall. No caution.

"We are done," he tells his crew.
Some of the most beautiful words I've ever heard in motorsports
Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #14
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Jamie is out of the race. Sums up ''The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.''
Old 09-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

McMurray's reaction afterwards was ... interesting.

Just being classy? Or perhaps not all that disappointed about missing the Chase as part of a lame duck effort? You make the call (cause I haven't the foggiest which).
Old 09-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
McMurray's reaction afterwards was ... interesting.

Just being classy? Or perhaps not all that disappointed about missing the Chase as part of a lame duck effort? You make the call (cause I haven't the foggiest which).

I saw that too. I was thinking he had a long-shot, and knew he needed a miracle to happen.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kurt Busch has a pretty nice-looking girl.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

I enjoyed the race tonight,(at least during the commercial breaks of the OSU/Texas debacle)

I'm thrilled that neither Earnhardt JR nor JEff Whiney ass gordon made the field. NASCAR now has to try and convince the racing populous that someone other than those two are worth watching.

I agree with ...wait...let me get this right...I actually AGREE with JiMG? wow...anyway..I agree that there are more and more fuckwits driving that just make me want to destroy something beautiful and less and less that I truly like.

For example:

I love Tony Stewart, Bobby Labonte, Terry Labonte, Jeff Burton...toss in a few I like to see do well now and then: Sterling Marlin, Dale Jarrett, Kasey Kahne

and then we see those I wish would wreck on the pace laps...:

Jeff gordon, Greg biffle, jimmie johnson, Rusy Wallace, Kurt Busch, Jimmie Spencer, Robby Gordon, Jeremy mayfield, Ryan Newman, Did I mention greg Biffle and RObby Gordon? hrm...there are others too, but these guys make my blood boil.

If those fellas wreck, or blow up it was always someone elses fault, if they wreck someone else, oh its just racin. They all just give off thos "holier than thou" attitude on camera.

I really want to cut greg biffle's brakes.......no wait...that would be wrong...but it would feel SO good....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I enjoyed the race tonight,(at least during the commercial breaks of the OSU/Texas debacle)

I'm thrilled that neither Earnhardt JR nor JEff Whiney ass gordon made the field. NASCAR now has to try and convince the racing populous that someone other than those two are worth watching.

I agree with ...wait...let me get this right...I actually AGREE with JiMG? wow...anyway..I agree that there are more and more fuckwits driving that just make me want to destroy something beautiful and less and less that I truly like.

For example:

I love Tony Stewart, Bobby Labonte, Terry Labonte, Jeff Burton...toss in a few I like to see do well now and then: Sterling Marlin, Dale Jarrett, Kasey Kahne

and then we see those I wish would wreck on the pace laps...:

Jeff gordon, Greg biffle, jimmie johnson, Rusy Wallace, Kurt Busch, Jimmie Spencer, Robby Gordon, Jeremy mayfield, Ryan Newman, Did I mention greg Biffle and RObby Gordon? hrm...there are others too, but these guys make my blood boil.

If those fellas wreck, or blow up it was always someone elses fault, if they wreck someone else, oh its just racin. They all just give off thos "holier than thou" attitude on camera.

I really want to cut greg biffle's brakes.......no wait...that would be wrong...but it would feel SO good....

Stewart used to be pretty bad in regards of that department. He's done a 18- turnaround in his interview. I can't stand Harvick.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I agree with ...wait...let me get this right...I actually AGREE with JiMG?

Lest you be too worried, lemme do that list thing, you might feel at least a littlebetter afterwards

(I'll just fill in from the points standings; +/- indicates they could have been in another group pretty easily)

I feel good when they do well :
Stewart, R.Wallace, Martin, Mayfield, Harvick, Jarrett(-), Junior, Kahne, Schrader, Marlin, Elliott,

I don't mind if their 1st or 43rd: Kenseth(-), E.Sadler, McMurray, Nemechek, Vickers, Ky.Busch(-), J.Burton, M.Waltrip, B.LaBonte, Mears, Bliss, J.Green, Riggs, Blaney, Petty, Wimmer, Kvapil, M.Wallace(-), R.Gordon(+), HamiltonJr, Leffler, LaPage, T.LaBonte(-), Said, H.Sadler, Sauter (-), Garvey, Spencer, Truex, Andretti, Skinner, Barrett.

Please get caught in the "big one" on the pace lap
: Biffle, Johnson, Ku.Busch, Edwards, Newman, J.(f'n)Gordon, Rudd,

Okay, maybe the lists aren't quite as different as I thought they'd be (mostly because I've gone from can't stand-to-nearly-neutral on T.LaBonte).

And although some may think I'm nuts for actually doing 50 drivers like this, I wanted to check something out. Out of the top 50 in points, there's 11 I like pretty well, 7 I can't friggin stand, 6 or so that I at least have some mild feeling about ... and 26 that I really don't give much of a flying flip about one way or the other. That's half the freakin' field that really hold no interest for me, which seems kinda problematic in some ways. If nothing else, it probably helps explain why I'd like to see the fields reduced from 43 to about 38 max.

On the other hand, there's 9 of the 10 Chase drivers that I have fairly strong feelings about one way or the other, which probably bodes well for a Chase w/out the 8 & the 24. Or, since I'm rarely "the norm" for anything, maybe it doesn't.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #21
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but, I do enjoy watching the night races, especially in HD. I also like Tony Stewart, mainly because I irritate my cousin who hates him!