Johnny93g
College Starter

BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #102
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

There goes the Gophers chances at losing to an undefeated Michigan team.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #103
Schmidty
Coordinator

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Thank you Irish!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #104
jbmagic
Pro Starter

You guys think with ND win they make the top 10 in the poll
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #105
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

I'm betting they'll be anywhere from #9-13.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Probably not, unless a bunch of the top 10 loses, but I think this puts them at 11-15th.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #107
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
If not TOP 10, TOP 12, but I think they'll crack the top 10.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #108
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Good point. You people never did get it. Columbus and Minneapolis are the only big cities in the conference, and fans are a bit different.

Chicago, of course, is a Little House on the Prairie. Oh, that's just Northwestern.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

After looking at the top 25, they'll nestle in behind Fla and Fla State and in front of Louisville and Purdue, right at 12. I know this sounds silly, but I'm not sure the pollers will drop Michigan below Notre Dame because a lot more was expected from them this season and beating Notre Dame just makes it look like they lost to a quality team (I know, it's a circular argument, but there's a lot of it in college football polling). Of course, this is assuming Iowa, Georgia, et al (everyone ahead of that ranking) win and that Ohio State/Texas isn't a rout to the point where one would drop out of the top 12.

SI

Old 09-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #110
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just for perspective, we do get spoiled as Michigan fans. But we also have a remarkably frustrating record when it comes to national championships.

My dad was a professor at Michigan, and first took me to a Michigan game in 1968. We had season tickets until I went to college. I went to Michigan myself, and later even helped with the coverage for The Ann Arbor News for a couple of years. So I've probably been to more than 100 games in the Big House.

Over that time (1968-2004), Michigan has never had a losing season. 1984 was the worst year, when they were 6-6, including a loss in the Holiday Bowl. They've had a winning record the other 36 seasons.

Their record is 341-92-8 (.782) over that span. They've been 200-31-4 at home (.860). They've gone to bowl games the last 30 years, a streak that would be 37 under today's format (in 1973, they were 10-0-1, for example, and did not qualify for a bowl).

They've won or shared 21 of the last 36 Big Ten titles, and have won at least five conference games every single year. They've lost only one game five times and gone undefeated three times. They've outscored their opponents 12,872 - 6,192.

Yet they've only won one national championship, and that was a disputed one, thanks to the rally from coaches around Tom Osborne when he announced his retirement and a bad referee's decision that made the Rose Bowl look much closer than it was.

So, after awhile, you begin to say "been there, done that" to a conference title, which is a big deal at most schools. Every year, you look at the schedule, including the brutal conference field, and wonder if this is the big year. And every year, they seem to have the talent, but come up a bit short.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #111
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
Chicago, of course, is a Little House on the Prairie. Oh, that's just Northwestern.

I very nearly went to Northwestern, went as far as to go through freshman orientation. The locals really do see it as Evanston, not part of the big city to the south. That's why I didn't include them.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #112
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just for perspective, we do get spoiled as Michigan fans. But we also have a remarkably frustrating record when it comes to national championships.

My dad was a professor at Michigan, and first took me to a Michigan game in 1968. We had season tickets until I went to college. I went to Michigan myself, and later even helped with the coverage for The Ann Arbor News for a couple of years. So I've probably been to more than 100 games in the Big House.

Over that time (1968-2004), Michigan has never had a losing season. 1984 was the worst year, when they were 6-6, including a loss in the Holiday Bowl. They've had a winning record the other 36 seasons.

Their record is 341-92-8 (.782) over that span. They've been 200-31-4 at home (.860). They've gone to bowl games the last 30 years, a streak that would be 37 under today's format (in 1973, they were 10-0-1, for example, and did not qualify for a bowl).

They've won or shared 21 of the last 36 Big Ten titles, and have won at least five conference games every single year. They've lost only one game five times and gone undefeated three times. They've outscored their opponents 12,872 - 6,192.

Yet they've only won one national championship, and that was a disputed one, thanks to the rally from coaches around Tom Osborne when he announced his retirement and a bad referee's decision that made the Rose Bowl look much closer than it was.

So, after awhile, you begin to say "been there, done that" to a conference title, which is a big deal at most schools. Every year, you look at the schedule, including the brutal conference field, and wonder if this is the big year. And every year, they seem to have the talent, but come up a bit short.

Cry me a river. Come with me to a Stanford vs. Arizona State game when Stanford is 1-4 and there's 25,000 people in the 80,000-seat Stanford Stadium. I'll trade you.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #113
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Cry me a river. Come with me to a Stanford vs. Arizona State game when Stanford is 1-4 and there's 25,000 people in the 80,000-seat Stanford Stadium. I'll trade you.

Or see my post about KU in the NCAA thread

SI

Old 09-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #114
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter

That's just it. We're completely spoiled, and we know it.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #115
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
That's just it. We're completely spoiled, and we know it.

And not a damn thing wrong with it.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #116
st.cronin
General Manager

Is Chad Henne considered an NFL prospect? His throwing motion is absolute garbage and the real reason he had so many passes blocked.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #117
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
When is the last time Michigan lost this early?

Last year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saw a good bit of the 4Q of this, waiting for GT/UNC. Provided as good an argument as I've seen for the need for instant replay. Without it, I really believe the refs errors would have jobbed ND right out of the win.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #119
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm still not sure why some people are against instant replay. It's saved a BUNCH of teams in the first 2 weeks of the season already.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #120
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Thank you Irish!!!!!!
I think it's funny that Spartan fans spend so much energy hating Michigan when Michigan generally only pays attention to MSU one week a year.

And for the record, when MSU plays ND, I want Sparty to win.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #121
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
I think it's funny that Spartan fans spend so much energy hating Michigan when Michigan generally only pays attention to MSU one week a year.

And for the record, when MSU plays ND, I want Sparty to win.

Blah blah blah.

First of all, I am one of the people that live in Michigan who doesn't hate ND. I was born in Kalamazoo and grew up in Schoolcraft, MI, which is only 45 minutes or so from South Bend. I even went to foorball camp during high school one year.

Secondly, I hate U-M so much because of it's fans, such as my dad. It is a smarmy, insultingly self-assured lot, and I like nothing more than to see that cocky smile fall into a fake-apethetic frown.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #122
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Secondly, I hate U-M so much because of it's fans, such as my dad. It is a smarmy, insultingly self-assured lot, and I like nothing more than to see that cocky smile fall into a fake-apethetic frown.

Sounds to me your problems run a lot deeper than just Michigan's success. You do seem to have quite a bit of angst with respect to any authority.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Secondly, I hate U-M so much because of it's fans

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #124
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

Don't worry, H_B. I hate you because of your Red Wings fandom, not your UM fandom

SI

Old 09-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #125
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Is Chad Henne considered an NFL prospect? His throwing motion is absolute garbage and the real reason he had so many passes blocked.
I agree. I thought that he should have redshirted last year even with Guiterez out for the season. He would then be the backup this year and probable starter next. Sitting and learning could do him a lot of good. He has talent.

Today I thought he should have been pulled. He had clearly lost confidence well before the goal-line fumble. Maybe Guiterez could have been a spark. It wouldn't hurt Henne to look over his shoulder either...

On a positive note, the defense played well.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Don't worry, H_B. I hate you because of your Red Wings fandom, not your UM fandom

SI

but H_B just wants to be loved...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI

And despite the pleas from my little inner-H_B, one day I hope to be hated for my Lions fandom! Though I fear that day will never come...
Old 09-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #128
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds to me your problems run a lot deeper than just Michigan's success. You do seem to have quite a bit of angst with respect to any authority.

I do? Please elaborate. Don't pull any punches, as my feelings wouldn't be hurt. I've never had a problem with you, as I don't know you personally, so why you would take a shot at a person like me (who you don't know) is beyond me.

I still hate U-M.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #129
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Somewher Woody Hayes is smiling.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #130
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

You know I didn't mean it baby. You know I love you. Come on, don't be that way......
Old 09-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You know I didn't mean it baby. You know I love you. Come on, don't be that way......

I know it.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #132
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Damn ! Thread Jackers.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #133
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I do? Please elaborate. Don't pull any punches, as my feelings wouldn't be hurt. I've never had a problem with you, as I don't know you personally, so why you would take a shot at a person like me (who you don't know) is beyond me.

I still hate U-M.

You're talking trash, I'm responding. Simple as that. No need for you to go off the deep end, sending PMs, acting all injured. Sheesh.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #134
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
You're talking trash, I'm responding. Simple as that. No need for you to go off the deep end, sending PMs, acting all injured. Sheesh.

Ok, I misunderstood you. You were saying that you U-M fans are my betters, I get it now

I'm slow sometimes.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #135
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
No need for you to go off the deep end, sending PMs, acting all injured. Sheesh.

LOL
Old 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #136
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
LOL

Hush, you dirty racist.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #137
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hush, you dirty racist.

Hey, cracker.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #138
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey, cracker.

LOL!
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #139
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, cracker.

I'm still waiting, troll.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #140
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

What are you waiting for again? A certain shade of green?