Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Places to stick a thermometer. Top 5 answers on the board.

*actual Family Feud footage.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 09-07-2005 at 11:27 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

hmmm I wonder what the last person said? That is 99 Total, so there is one missing.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Coder
College Prospect

This reminds me of something Suicaine might have posted..

*sniff*

miss him

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, what is it about the butt that makes it require the three-word phrase "in the butt" instead of just the body part, like "mouth" and "ear" used earlier?

Is it just that "in the butt" is a funny phrase?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"In the meat"
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
So, what is it about the butt that makes it require the three-word phrase "in the butt" instead of just the body part, like "mouth" and "ear" used earlier?

Maybe it wouldn't seem like an actual answer, since it would sound like they were just protesting something using the word "but."

I was so grossed out by the meat answer for a while until I thought about it some more.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:

I recall seing the newlywed game several years ago. When asked where "the strangest place you and your wive have made love" a contestent replied "I say, she say, in the butt."

"In the butt" must be some kind of game show america phrase
Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

...so he said "Rectum? Damn near killed him!"
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Wouldn't anus be more appropriate?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Richard Dawson recommends that you do it in the butt.

I got nothin'.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Who sticks a thermometer in an ear?

And why does that get the same amount of replies as "armpit", which is a logical place to check a child's temperature?

Life can be quite mysterious.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz

And why does that get the same amount of replies as "armpit", which is a logical place to check a child's temperature?

you've never heard of an electronic thermometer?

FM
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Very easy to use and VERY fast. Stick it in the ear and about five seconds later it beeps telling you that it has the temp...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
you've never heard of an electronic thermometer?
FM

Ah...

Nope. Didn't know about that.

I have become study.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

you can also place that in the butt
Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #16
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Very easy to use and VERY fast. Stick it in the ear and about five seconds later it beeps telling you that it has the temp...

They are notoriously unreliable though. And rather expensive.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
hmmm I wonder what the last person said? That is 99 Total, so there is one missing.
Trout.....1

Satisfied?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz

The logical place (and preferred for accuracy by doctors) to check an infant's temperature is the butt.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The logical place (and preferred for accuracy by doctors) to check an infant's temperature is the butt.

No it's in the butt.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Our doctor doesn't particularly care for Family Feud.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #21
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

Agreed. I did say the armpit was "a" logical place.

Babies are reasonably smart in my household, and when I approach them with a thermometer to stick up their butt, well, let's just say I have a much easier time getting it under their arm.

Most of the time, we're just trying to figure out if our kid has a temperature or not, in which case the armpit or mouth works great. I usually add two degrees to the armpit reading and one degree to the oral reading to get a feel for the right temp. If that seems to indicate the need for a more detailed reading, then I'll make the more concerted effort to get the "accurate" temperature.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
I recall seing the newlywed game several years ago. When asked where "the strangest place you and your wive have made love" a contestent replied "I say, she say, in the butt."

except that it was the wife that said it, and she used the phrase "in the ass" instead of "in the butt".

other than that, yes, it is reaching epidemic proportions.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #23
scarface132
Mascot

ROFL!
scarface132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:53 AM   #24
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Trout.....1

Satisfied?
LOL, my office mate is asking me now why I laugh
Old 09-08-2005, 04:01 AM   #25
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz

I doubt it. More like you heard an urban legend and decided to recount it--although this one happens to be based in reality.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:04 AM   #26
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

On another note, I call for a caption contest. What other question could this be the answer board for?

Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 AM   #27
Icy
Pro Starter

Umm the main problem would be when one of the family members vote in the butt and another in the mouth...and there is only one thermometer at home.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
I doubt it. More like you heard an urban legend and decided to recount it--although this one happens to be based in reality.

I've seen the actual clip (from a show in the seventies, I believe) so there's a good shot that Fritz has seen it as well...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #29
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I've seen the actual clip (from a show in the seventies, I believe) so there's a good shot that Fritz has seen it as well...

same here, that one's real AFAIK.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #30
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, the Newlywed clip was believed to be an urban legend for many years, mostly because Bob Eubank the host claimed for years it never happened. But when he and the other old game show hosts started doing those Outrageous Game Show Moments shows for NBC, somebody found the clip and it is now an instant classic.

I think the husband said in the kitchen.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #31
Huckleberry
College Starter

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #32
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I took the comment to mean "I was sitting around watching the newlywed game a few years ago, and..." which I find highly unlikely. I do believe they showed it on some game show bloopers show a while back after the clip was finally unearthed.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm no Jungian, but this whole Newlywed Game bit is pretty close to being beyond comprehension. I have heard no fewer than ten first-person accounts from people who saw it, and they invariably have the story include the husband saying the funny line. That is, without a doubt, the urban legend. It's also funny as hell.

When they did the "game show funniest moments" show a few years ago and finally showed the clip, it eliminated the shadow that this whole thing was simply a pure urban legend (and that nothing at all like it ever actually happened) but it turns out (1) it was indeed the wife who said the funny line; and (2) she used the word "ass" -- where every telling I have heard of the story involved the husband saying "un...in the butt, Bob."

There is also some abiguity whether the clip itself had ever been aired. The producers argue that it never was put on television to begin with, and that the special from a few years ago was the first time the footage had ever actually been broadcast in any way. I guess it's hard to verify this as true, but it's yet another dent in the whole story.

Best explanation is that this, like many urban legends, got its start with a germ of truth. Maybe a stagehand or someone involved in production told the story at a local bar or something, and it was (understandably) funny enough to merit re-telling by listeners. Somehow, it got bastardized a bit -- and like most urban legends, the re-tellers become (subconsciously) aware of the loss of credibility suffered by someone who includes too much distance from the event itself ("my sister's friend has an uncle who knows this guy, who..." tends to turn into "my uncle..." and so forth) -- and the end result is that there are apparently countless people who saw the guy actually say "in the butt" being broadcast on television, when all evidence points to none of those three things ever happening.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #34
QuikSand
lolzcat

Obligatory Snopes Link
Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #35
Ksyrup

As usual, Snopes is all over this. The interesting thing is that, technically, the way this is told, it actually is a common urban legend about a not-so-intelligent black man/woman making an embarrassing mistake (similar to the 25K Pyramid urban legend where a black woman supposedly responded to the clue "doe" (the real answer was "deer") with the answer "knob," causing Dick Clark to break out into hysterics).

The article is pretty long, but here's the main part of it as to this specific incident:

Recently a Newlywed Game clip (from a Game Show Network rebroadcast of the show) has come to light that may or may not be the origin of this legend. In a 1977 "Maternity Day" episode, Hank Perez guessed that his wife Olga would say the strangest place she'd ever had the urge to make whoopee was in their car on the freeway. When the wives were brought in to provide their answers to the same question, here is what transpired:
Bob: Here's the last of our five-point questions. Girls, tell me where, specifically, is the weeeeeiirdest place that you personally, girls, have ever gotten the urge the make whoopee. The weirdest place. Olga?

Olga: Umm . . . (audience laughter)

[pause]

Bob: Yes, Olga?

Olga: Uh . . .

Henry: Go ahead.

Bob: Yes, Olga.

Olga: I'm trying to think. Umm . . . [Turns to husband.] Gee Henry, what did you say?

Bob: Hey, don't ask him. He can't help you out at all.

Olga: Is it in the ass? [Last three words bleeped]

Bob: No no no . . . no . . . what I'm talking about is the weirdest location, the weirdest place . . .

Olga: The weirdest location. I don't know. [Laughs] Hank: [Laughs uproariously]

Is this the "smoking gun" urban legend aficionados have been waiting for? It's hard to say for sure, because some of the key details of this clip don't match the details of the legend. The overwhelming majority of people who claim they saw this episode air stated that the couple was black, and that the woman's response was "That would be in the butt, Bob" (or some similar dialectal version, such as "That'd be the butt, Bob," "Up da butt, Bob" or "It be the butt, Bob"). Neither Hank nor Olga — nor any of the other couples on the show that day — was black, and Olga's response didn't correspond to either the structure or the phrasing of the legendary answer (i.e., she didn't use the word "butt," end her answer with "Bob," or phrase it as a declarative).
Old 09-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #36
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm no Jungian, but this whole Newlywed Game bit is pretty close to being beyond comprehension. I have heard no fewer than ten first-person accounts from people who saw it, and they invariably have the story include the husband saying the funny line. That is, without a doubt, the urban legend. It's also funny as hell.

When they did the "game show funniest moments" show a few years ago and finally showed the clip, it eliminated the shadow that this whole thing was simply a pure urban legend (and that nothing at all like it ever actually happened) but it turns out (1) it was indeed the wife who said the funny line; and (2) she used the word "ass" -- where every telling I have heard of the story involved the husband saying "un...in the butt, Bob."

There is also some abiguity whether the clip itself had ever been aired. The producers argue that it never was put on television to begin with, and that the special from a few years ago was the first time the footage had ever actually been broadcast in any way. I guess it's hard to verify this as true, but it's yet another dent in the whole story.

Best explanation is that this, like many urban legends, got its start with a germ of truth. Maybe a stagehand or someone involved in production told the story at a local bar or something, and it was (understandably) funny enough to merit re-telling by listeners. Somehow, it got bastardized a bit -- and like most urban legends, the re-tellers become (subconsciously) aware of the loss of credibility suffered by someone who includes too much distance from the event itself ("my sister's friend has an uncle who knows this guy, who..." tends to turn into "my uncle..." and so forth) -- and the end result is that there are apparently countless people who saw the guy actually say "in the butt" being broadcast on television, when all evidence points to none of those three things ever happening.

well, sure, I can see where 4 paragraphs are more concise than my 2 sentence reply...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #37
Ksyrup

QS beat me to the link. I guess my only quibble with your comments is that this most likely did air back when it occurred, but it got moth-balled for 25 years and the scenario changed (woman to man, white couple to black couple) over the years of retelling.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #38
QuikSand
lolzcat

I can only speak to what I have heard myself, but I have heard a sizable number of people relate to me this story, and every one of them has the husband saying the funny line, and it has always been either as "up the butt" or "in the butt." (cf. Fritz's rendition above) I don't think any of the people who mentioned it to me made any racial mention, though it's possible I just forgot about that if they did.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #39
Ksyrup

As it was retold to you, that may be true. But the general retelling of it includes the racial element, which as Snopes points out, is one of the hallmarks of this type of urban legend.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #40
DanGarion
Coordinator

I tried to find the lyrics to the Eddie Murphy "In the Butt" song but I came up empty handed.

So I got nuthin.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #41
Ksyrup

Try Boogie in Your Butt.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #42
Ksyrup

No, really, try it. Without the song.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #43
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
No, really, try it. Without the song.
Damn, I knew it was something like that!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote