Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Political type computer games

I thought there were threads about these games but, couldn't find any.. just blurbs and notes.

Are there any newer type games out there along the lines of Shadow President, Balance of Power, Superpower? (Thought Superpower was the most recent but pretty much stunk...). Also, any Presidential Election type sims?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
I thought there were threads about these games but, couldn't find any.. just blurbs and notes.

Are there any newer type games out there along the lines of Shadow President, Balance of Power, Superpower? (Thought Superpower was the most recent but pretty much stunk...). Also, any Presidential Election type sims?

I don't know about the computer games, but there are quite a few political board games that are a lot of fun (but require 3-5 people to play).

Kremlin -- Soviet Politics with lots of KGB killings, trumping influence, and flag waving... HILARIOUS and fun game, but also very strategic.
KingMaker -- English War of the Roses, control nobles and the houses of lords and commons. Little battles, killing those of noble birth, a bit more involved.
Republic of Rome -- Build your power in the senate while at the same time defending Rome from the barbarians and Carthage. Will you reign in the senate, or be sent out to govern a far off land, only to return with the might of an army. VERY complex, but interesting game.

Have fun and good luck!

Regards,
Chas
Old 08-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here are a couple:
Democracy Game
President Forever
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71

We are still waiting on the final patch for President Forever. Was due 9 months ago
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
We are still waiting on the final patch for President Forever. Was due 9 months ago

Damn. Scratch that one then.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Damn. Scratch that one then.

Serious issues without the patch?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

I wouldn't know...I haven't played the game.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
No. It plays fine and I spent many, many hours on it in the run up to the election.

The problem is, multiplayer was removed from the 2004 version (was in for 2000) and were were promised a patch to reinclude it along with primaries. Neither have been forthcoming. They'll probably make it into the next version.

Last edited by amdaily : 08-25-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
timmynausea
College Starter

I bought President Forever sometime before the primaries so late 2003 or so. It was decently fun a few times, but got old pretty fast. There were a few patches and some older election add-ons. I think it only cost $10 or $15 so it was worth it. I have no idea what issues were supposed to be fixed or features added in the last patch as I haven't played it in over a year.

Last edited by timmynausea : 08-25-2005 at 05:19 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
amdaily
College Prospect

Dola,

Just downloaded the Democracy demo and it seems like a very good, if unpolished, game. Anyone bought the full version yet? Worth getting? This is the first I've heard if it.

Last edited by amdaily : 08-25-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: President Forever
What timmynausea said.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Dola,

Just downloaded the Democracy demo and it seems like a very good, if unpolished, game. Anyone bought the full version yet? Worth getting. This is the first I've heard if it.

Bought it, played it, got bored with it very very quickly.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #13
scooter
High School Varsity

If you are looking for election games here are a couple:

The Political Machine by Stardock (makers of Galactic Civilizations). I think there is a thread in the PC/Console Games Impressions forum. I bought it. I played it. It was fun for a while. Here is a link to Gamespot's review:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...ine/index.html

Also, you may want to take a look at Power Politics 3 as well. It's written by Randy Chase and is supposed to have a free version. I haven't tried it though.

http://www.powerpolitics.us/home.htm
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote