Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

The dire lack of good american tater tots...

Poor guy. He doesn't even get any love at the culinary boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
I've been thinking alot recently about how hungry I have been recently. I've also been thinking about the problems i see with Tater Tots.

I've tried out Hash Browns and i often find I like Tater Tots. Hash Browns has some a serious texture that have driven me away from the food (chief among them, they use real potatoes). There aren't any real alternatives... i don't want to go back to eating some French Fries.

The two things that bother me about Tater Tots:

The shape can be quite annoying and ugly.
The sheer number of ways that i have to prepare and/or spice them up using my own ingredients.

I cook. I am reasonably good at baking and broiling in the stove or in the microwave. I don't really know much about deep frying or anything you'd use to cook a meal like Tater Tots in the oven, but i know i would probably be able to put together a recipe that is user-friendly and sleek. I also have the knowledge necessary to perhaps cook a variety of side dishes using the microwave and the burners.

I know that it's probably impossible for the makers of Tater Tots to accept a recipe from some random person on the internet, but i'd love to give cooking Tater Tots a shot.

Failing that:
With my knowledge of cooking, i could probably assemble my own meal. The problem is, i don't have the potato know-how to generate the shape needed to make realistic barrel (recipes are simulated much like they are really cooked) shapes.

Does anyone here have experience (besides the FOF chefs) with developing the potato end for my recipe?

If i do make a recipe, it'd be open source and completely free (run on donations). I'd do it for my love of microwaving and potato variety and nothing more. I'd need someone to help me develop the potato end of the recipe. If i were to go into developing a sauce, i may need people to help me with that, too.

I don't really know what i want to do, i'm just putting myself out there. I'd lve to get involved with a new, more modern-looking Tater Tot project, be it under my direction or someone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I love Tater Tots. It is fine for me. I would much rather have a frozen treat than some slick greasy recipe that sucks and is loaded with chemicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Ditto. Taters rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
...?

You don't know much about recipe creation.

I have to know about boiling points, which spices blend well together, what shape contributes to the overall taste of the meal and the presentation of the meal. I am getting my Masters in Culinary Recipe creation and I would appreciate it if you knew what you were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Know nothing abut?? hahahah

my salted nuts are tastier than yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I don't understand some people. A guy posts a thread to offera new recipe and yet certain people in this thread just want to argue or "FIGHT"! over it. Aran isn't bashing Tater Tots........even Ronald McDonald could tell that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
OK, now that we've got the above out of the way, let's move on to the meat of the matter.

The most important question isn't "texture" versus "untextured." *THE* most important question is "edible" versus "tasty." The problem with, for example, the Hash Browns, wasn't that it was tasty. The problem was that it was not very edible. The reason that the original recipe of Tater Tots goes over well with some is not that people want a tasty treat. No, the reason that it goes over well is that there is no better way cook tater tots for lots and lots of people in one kitchen. The original recipe is set up so that it takes 15-20 minutes to cook all the way through, then usually no more than 5 mintes for them to cool down. The biggest problem with the original recipe is that variations of the recipe can't be made in the same oven to allow me more time to cook other things. I have to keep switch trays back and forth. My biggest beef with the French Fries, for example, is that when I'm setting the timer for my frozen goodies, I have to look at it 3 different times to determine if I should be using a timer for a meal in the deep fryer because I usually destroy the texture if they are in there too long.

Following recipes is all about making decisions. Give me the vast majority of the information that I need to make a meal in the kitchen. On another note, all recipes need to consider the model that Hamburger Helper uses with regard to making dishes: Let me add *my* secret spices for each noodle, and present a succulent meal that will be talked about for day. I usually like to cook in the house wearing my patriotic undies, but that is another story. If you are gong to make a recipe, take this in consideration"

IMPORTANCE WEIGHT OF...
Tastiness Factor: 25%
Temperature: 35%
Edible: 40%

And then, for each side dish, think about making a main dish that will complement it. I use a ranking system to put a meal together. The top ranked meals have less side dishes.

Leg of Lamb: none
Chicken: 5
Prime Rib: 10
etc...

Then, the recipe rolodex would give you a list of recipes in order of YOUR criteria for that day, rather than spending the first 15-20 minutes trying to make mixed drinks. It wouldn't be a "perfect" recipe, but its sure would go a long way toward an initial sorting of the recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Huh? What did he just say? You know what Aran, I say you just go out there and create that frickin recipe. Good luck to you. People shouldn't be bashing your cooking skills when all you are trying to do is help Jim make some Tater Tots. You never said you didn't like Tater Tots and people should just accept it.

Last edited by Antmeister : 08-10-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Now that's a parody thread. Classic.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Well Done

Thats how I like my tatter tots!

Nice job.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
Klinglerware
College Starter

Good show, well done.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

On another (but related) note, I would fully support seeing:

"The dire lack of good american _______"

...as a routine method to start a conversation in this forum. Could make for a good new inside joke, a la Kirby Puckett and dolaposting and so forth.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
On another (but related) note, I would fully support seeing:

"The dire lack of good american _______"

...as a routine method to start a conversation in this forum. Could make for a good new inside joke, a la Kirby Puckett and dolaposting and so forth.

The dire lack of good American dolaposting?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
aran
High School Varsity

Wow... at first i rolled my eyes at this thread (after observing the epidemic of them recently) but, after reading it, i give it two thumbs up.

Well done .
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Your parody has inspired me to attempt even greater parodies of my own. And for that I salute you Mr. Ivemadeabetterparodythread Man

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Your parody has inspired me to attempt even greater parodies of my own. And for that I salute you Mr. Ivemadeabetterparodythread Man
Goddamn. That's the best quote from a parody thread ever.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Better know it.

vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #11
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog

LOL....I can actually hear the voice in my head. Classic.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #12
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Better know it.

Where the heck do you come up with these pictures? I never thought you would find a tater tot and mafia reference to this thread. You should be doing detective work.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #13
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I definitely can't take the credit, stevew or bosshogg came up with that I believe.

Last edited by vex : 08-10-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I take credit but only cause Vex is head of the Potato Conglomerate and made me do it!

Seriously the picture is from the game Omerta and yes Vex is part of the Tater Tot Mafia along with a few others here

And dont forget, Tater Tots rule!
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #15
vex
Grizzled Veteran

And goto Sonic, daily.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I choose to blame Ron White for the decline of the Tater Tot.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #17
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I praise Napolean Dynamite for the Rise of the Tot.