Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
21C
College Prospect

Ping : Pommy FOFCers

I'm looking to travel to England in a few weeks with my wife and two kids and I need advice about some parts of the trip.

I'd like to make a side trip to Ireland. What recommendations could you make about a ferry to Ireland as compared to a cheap flight to Dublin - like what ferry company or budget airline to use ( or avoid ). I'm planning to hire a car so is it worth taking the rental car on the ferry or just pick up a new rental on the other side?

The same goes for a trip to France. Ferry, Chunnel or flight?

Also, any ideas on accomodation? I'm planning to book the first few nights in London via the internet but, after that, is there a hotel chain that has a book of some sort that can be used while I'm there to decide on locations?

When I travelled through the US, I loved using the Motel 6 and Super 8 directories to ring up a day or two ahead rather than planning the trip to the day. I don't expect to be using the internet while I'm there so I'm looking for alternatives.

We are looking at coming somewhere like mid-September ( I may be leaving this too late, I know ) so would there be any problem with hotels being booked or would this be at the end of the busy season?

21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I can help with some of what you are looking for.

For the Ireland piece, unfortunately I can't be much help. I never made the trip over when I was living in London. From what I was told, however, it will come down to personal preference. Total cost will be about the same going the car on the ferry route versus flying.

As for France, the Chunnel is definitely the way to go. If you are planning on mainly visiting Paris, then the Eurostar will take you from Waterloo Station to Paris in around two hours. There is even one per day that goes directly into EuroDisney, if that is on your plan.

For the hotel chain, there are a few. Accor (the French company that owns Motel 6) has several different variants that are usually located along the M roads. Holiday Inn also has a pretty large amount of hotels located around England.

September will probably be a good time to visit. Hotels in London are usually pretty well booked, and expensive as hell, but once you get outside the M25 the prices drop dramatically.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

If you are staying around the London area it would almost certainly be better to fly to Ireland. Ryanair go from London Stansted and London Luton to Dublin about 5 times daily (at least) and booking far enough in advance you can probably get returns for £10-15 per person. You will need to hire a car or use public transport while in Ireland though, which is the downside.

If you want to get a ferry, you would be looking at a 4 hour drive minimum on the British side to get to a Ferry terminal. I can't imagine the ferry being cheaper than a flight either.
If you are planning to visit Wales (recommended but I am biased) this would be the time to plan the trip to Ireland. Irish Ferries go from Holyhead (North Wales)and Pembroke (West Wales)

My fiancee and I were looking at going to Paris the other month... a cheap flight blows the Chunnel out of the water with regards to price was what we found. Yet again though, you can take a car on the Chunnel so if that is big for you it would be worth it.

Some links for cheap motel/hotel sites that will have sites throughout the country:
http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/home
http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/?SRC=PG

Hope some of my random musings are a help

EDIT - you would almost certainly not have a problem booking hotels at that time. School holidays finish first week of September, so you will be fine.

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-02-2005 at 10:20 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
21C
College Prospect

Many thanks for the input - especially the flight information. I've got no problem with renting a car when I get to a destination so the flight will save a lot of time.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. I may even be able to make to the Ashes 5th Test but I'm not sure if the family will be interested. I'll definitely try to sneak in a football ( soccer ) match while I'm there.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

No worries... if you want to book the flight I would do it today (or asap), you can get some crazy deals but it is also a popular route. If you are flexible they also go from Liverpool and Glasgow.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
21C
College Prospect

Yeah, I've been checking the Ryanair page and the deals look good. The only problem is that I don't have a clear idea of dates yet when I want to fly. I have a rough idea but I'll have to get organized real quick.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #7
Super Ugly
High School JV

I think that the cross-channel ferry can be a lot cheaper than flying (more environmentally friendly as well ), but you can get cheap plane tickets with Easy Jet and Ryan Air. The only thing to bear in mind is that you'll have to put up with hundreds of ugly, ugly English people who use the ferries for their 'booze cruises'. If you can afford it, take the train. It drops you off at Gard du Nord (sp?) and you don't have to worry about getting in from some backwater airport eighty miles out of town.

If you want to be hardcore, Eurolines coach services run a daily bus from London to Paris. I took it last spring and although it took about eight hours from Victoria to Port de Bagnolet, it only cost me £10 (which includes the ferry or the train - it all depends on their schedule) one-way.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote