Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

SPQR - boardgame

Does anyone know where I can get my grubby little hands on a copy of this?

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

All I have is Hoplite on my PC.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:49 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well the obvious places are Ebay and the BGG Marketplace, unfortunately neither has a copy listed right now. You might check around on BGG and see if anyone's interested in trading it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Well the obvious places are Ebay and the BGG Marketplace, unfortunately neither has a copy listed right now. You might check around on BGG and see if anyone's interested in trading it.

Already have a post over there about it! Unfortunately, the people who want to trade it do not want anything I have for trade.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Are you an experienced GBOH player, or looking to dive in? If it's the latter there are other games in the series that are much easier to snag. Either way, you might try the Marketplace at www.consimworld.com, although you might get some chuckles (since it's hard to obtain).
Old 08-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Are you an experienced GBOH player, or looking to dive in? If it's the latter there are other games in the series that are much easier to snag. Either way, you might try the Marketplace at www.consimworld.com, although you might get some chuckles (since it's hard to obtain).

I am looking to dive in. The era of SPQR REALLY appeals to me. The other one out of the bunch I would consider is the Alexander set. I could be persuaded to try Cataphract/Justintian, but that era does not intrigue me nearly as much.

Do you have any suggestions for good games in the line?

EDIT: I checked out consimworld and no one has one for sale currently. Is there a way to post with name and info without paying the $18 charge?

EDIT PART 2: I was thinking of going ahead and ordering on the P500, but its only at 387 right now.

Last edited by Warhammer : 08-01-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

I just got the (relatively) new Devil's Horsemen (Mongols Venture East) GBOH game at Origins last month. Haven't even punched a counter. SPQR is one of my all-time favorites and is sitting at my house RIGHT now... MMMM... rampaging elephants, flaming pigs, Celtic infantry, leaders names Scipio and phalanx.

Meet you in Bowling Green for a battle or 3? LOL...

-Chas
Old 08-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
I am looking to dive in. The era of SPQR REALLY appeals to me. The other one out of the bunch I would consider is the Alexander set. I could be persuaded to try Cataphract/Justintian, but that era does not intrigue me nearly as much.

EDIT: I checked out consimworld and no one has one for sale currently. Is there a way to post with name and info without paying the $18 charge?

EDIT PART 2: I was thinking of going ahead and ordering on the P500, but its only at 387 right now.

Dola...

Try Crazy Igor's online store... Or you could venture up to Indy for Gencon in a couple of weeks and check some of the resellers.

Regards,
Chas
Old 08-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Anthony
Banned

what are these games? board games? PC games? i'm intrigued.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
what are these games? board games? PC games? i'm intrigued.

Board games... High Complexity, Large Scale... Like Risk on 'Roids....

GMT Games

Regards,
Chas
Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:

Cool. If you want, I'd be happy to post a "want to buy/trade SPQR" message in your behalf. Just drop me a PM with your text.

As for other GBOH games, I recently acquired Alesia, although I haven't had a chance to play it yet. As a siege battle it is a stripped-down version of the rules, but it sounds really interesting and I have a weak spot for that battle since I played the crap out of Avalon Hill's Ceasar:Alesia as a kid.

Caesar: Civil Wars seems to be an easier one to find, although it's not quite as interesting (to me, anyway) because it's Romans vs. Romans and you don't get the difference in army systems that you do with some of the other games. Caesar: Gallic Wars, like SPQR, is hard to find as well.

The Alexander battles are pretty cool if you like phalanxes.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The only one in the set I have is Alexander. I've only played it once, but it was a lot of fun. I just don't often find the time to set it up and play, let alone the problems I'd have with counter games with a one and five year old in the house
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
The only one in the set I have is Alexander. I've only played it once, but it was a lot of fun. I just don't often find the time to set it up and play, let alone the problems I'd have with counter games with a one and five year old in the house

Ahhh, you need to indoctrinate them early. I have a 7 month old and a 3 year old. The 3 year old already knows that he can play with daddy's games "when he gets older." Of course, he then asks 5 minutes later if he can play, because "I older now! Now can I play?"

That said, he plays a mean game of Pitchcar and Hi-Ho Cherry-O!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
My 3-1/2 year old beat my wife at Candy Land yesterday and immediately took what amounted to a Roman triumph parade around the house. All he needed was a chariot.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
My 3-1/2 year old beat my wife at Candy Land yesterday and immediately took what amounted to a Roman triumph parade around the house. All he needed was a chariot.

I know how that goes. My son's favorite game is Formula De. My wife and I let him roll the dice and move the car around the board (no stops for corners or anything for him). Of course, when he blows us away he goes nuts. Then when he is done, he says, "OK, your turn to win now!"

The best part though is when they get to be 10, you have a live in gaming partner!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #16
Warhammer
Pro Starter

How would you guys rank the GBoH series games?

Which ones are the must haves, which are the nice to haves, etc.?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Tough question. I think a lot depends on your interests (particular eras, battles, armies). And there are plenty of modules out there to feed most any hunger. The series rules have been tweaked over the years, too, which has a bearing.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #18
Warhammer
Pro Starter

My preference for eras in order:

Napoleonic
Roman
Alexander/Byzantine
Middle Ages
Early Renaissance
Baroque
Old 08-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Geez. No beer 'n pretzels WWII or Civil War for you, huh?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #20
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

If you're looking for a free PC Card-Game Based on SPQR:

Hoplites - http://digilander.libero.it/zak965/hoplites.htm
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #21
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My daughter can beat him .

Well on a more serious note, that is a great game for kids. I took our copy of Pitchcar on vacation with my extended family, and all of the parents wanted to know where to get a copy. Unfortunately with it out of print, copies are hard to find and expensive. Oh and my daughter probably can't beat him. She lacks that killer instinct when it comes to finishing people off. I think she purposely dallies at the end, just so people will go "one more race".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:03 AM   #22
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
My daughter can beat him .

Well on a more serious note, that is a great game for kids. I took our copy of Pitchcar on vacation with my extended family, and all of the parents wanted to know where to get a copy. Unfortunately with it out of print, copies are hard to find and expensive. Oh and my daughter probably can't beat him. She lacks that killer instinct when it comes to finishing people off. I think she purposely dallies at the end, just so people will go "one more race".

What is a shame is how expensive the expansions are. I want a ramp, but the cost is too much to justify it!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #23
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack

None of those in the GBOH series...

But Gamers (now owned by Curt Schilling's Multi-Man Publishing) put out the best Civil War games IMO, and I enjoy Avalanche Press's Panzer Grenadier series for WWII....

-Chas
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #24
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I know. Just needling a little bit because those eras of history don't exactly get made into "Axis & Allies" or "Battle Cry", or even get made into wargames period that often.

I'm kinda in the same boat as someone else upthread mentioned. Having a 20-month-old and a pair of cats really cracks down on any wargaming I would like to do. I do have ADC 2, but I don't have the resources to buy very many kits for it, though I do have freebies (that I don't play, but should take advantage of sometime).
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #25
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
I enjoy Avalanche Press's Panzer Grenadier series for WWII....

I've been thinking about getting into this series. Which one stands out as the best to start with?
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #26
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I've been thinking about getting into this series. Which one stands out as the best to start with?

Hmmm... that's tough... don't buy "Panzer Grenadier" or "Eastern Front" or "Heroes of the Soviet Union" because they're redoing them... Battle of the Bulge is good. And I REALLY enjoyed Guadalcanal because the Win Conditions were very realistic. Hmmm... Guadalcanal is a cheaper one and a good one to start with... probably that one.

However if you want to go all out, the 2 North Africa games and Battle of the Bulge are pretty good. El Alamein anyone?

-Chas
Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #27
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack

I used to play a lot of A&A, now I can't play it unless I am humoring my dad. CW games just don't do anything for me. I think a lot of it has to do with rebelling against my neighbors who are still fighting the War of Southern Independence.

I still play the games with beer, just no pretzels. I prefer beer 'n salsa games!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #28
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Interesting. I have a strong interest in CW (own the entire GCACW, actually, along with some big battle games like Summer Storm and This Terrible Sound). It wasn't because I wanted to refight a war my side lost (my nearest CW relatives fought for the Union from Illinois, I think, though I grew up in NC), but because the CW (along with the Revolution and 1812) were fought here than "over there". Something more personal about the battles being "in the backyard" as it were. (Last major battle of the war at Bentonville was fought probably about 15 miles from where I grew up, actually.)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Wolfpack, I own many of The Gamers' brigade series. Good stuff.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #30
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Swinging back to the GBoH series, how good is the Alexander Deluxe set, and what are the "must-have" expansions for it?