Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #101
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I am torn on this. I like the idea of building up divisional rivalries. Familiarity breeds contempt, so it could make for some great home-and-home series. Then again, this willl mean that the Wings play Nashville EIGHT times a season and could years without ever playing Toronto. That hurts. Then again Wings/Tampa, Wings/Panthers, and the like never did much for me.

Exactly -- instead of having a clearly defined system, I'd rather have some judgement used, and see the Isles play each Western team at least once.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #102
ice4277
Pro Rookie

At least with regards to teams in other conferences, it is a change of scenery. Wings/Panthers may not bring much to the table, but at least you get to see them once. Wings/Predators, or what have you, will likely get boring after a while.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #103
Karim
College Starter

I'm in favour of the schedule. The best games have always been against divisional rivals. I really don't care if Toronto, Montreal, or New York don't play us every year, let alone Florida or Carolina. If I want to watch someone in particular (Crosby), it will definitely be on TV.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:59 AM   #104
General Mike
Pro Starter

What happened to the 3 minutes of 3-on-3 after the 1st OT that I heard about somewhere?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #105
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
What happened to the 3 minutes of 3-on-3 after the 1st OT that I heard about somewhere?

It was an idea that was floated, but not implemented.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #106
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I'm in favour of the schedule.

We'll see if you still think so after watching Minnesota eight times. Rule changes or no, you know Lemaire's going to find a way to make his team boring.

Nice to know that the western teams will only have to put up with a building full of annoying Ontario-refugee Leaf fans once every three years, though.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #107
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I'm in favour of the schedule. The best games have always been against divisional rivals. I really don't care if Toronto, Montreal, or New York don't play us every year, let alone Florida or Carolina. If I want to watch someone in particular (Crosby), it will definitely be on TV.

I agree for the most part. I have nothing against 8 games again both Chicago and St. Louis. It will be nice to rekindle those rivalries. I think a Detroit/Columbus rivalry would be great, should be natural given there is some groundwork already for that given the whole Michigan/Ohio State thing.

Not sure if I will ever get excited by Nashville, but you never know. But more Colorad/Vancouver, Calgary/Edmonton, Tonronto/Ottawa, etc. That's all good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #108
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
We'll see if you still think so after watching Minnesota eight times. Rule changes or no, you know Lemaire's going to find a way to make his team boring.

Good point. I still think 24 games against Vancouver, Edmonton and Colorado will make up for 8 against Minnesota.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #109
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Nice to know that the western teams will only have to put up with a building full of annoying Ontario-refugee Leaf fans once every three years, though.

exactly!

Now if we can only find a way of keeping Flames fans away
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #110
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I agree for the most part. I have nothing against 8 games again both Chicago and St. Louis. It will be nice to rekindle those rivalries. I think a Detroit/Columbus rivalry would be great, should be natural given there is some groundwork already for that given the whole Michigan/Ohio State thing.

Not sure if I will ever get excited by Nashville, but you never know. But more Colorad/Vancouver, Calgary/Edmonton, Tonronto/Ottawa, etc. That's all good.

I think the whole Det/Columbus thing is heating up for a few reasons:

1) Columbus is becoming much more competative, and are a couple good D-men away from the playoffs (Aucoin, Rafalski??????)

2) Most of the hockey fans in this city were Red Wing fans and Detroit fans travel well down to Columbus, so we've seen the building full of red too much.

3) The ending of the last couple games in 03-04(Maltby putting Klesla into the door to the bench AND the Wings fans throwing octopi on the ice in our building, then the CBJ's beating Det up at the Joe to end the season)

4) Ray Whitney, thanks for saving us money

5) tOSU v. Michigan

However, we've been heating up with Nashville as well (Tootoo biting Wright's finger), and I think these extra games will help.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 07-25-2005 at 09:44 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #111
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Some of the rule changes that will take effect for the 2005-06 NHL season:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...30&hubName=nhl

Allowing the two-line pass (no red line) like international hockey;
I like this one.

Quote:
- Reduction in size of goalie equipment;

- Using the AHL crease and limits on goaltender puck handling;
No arguments with these; I haven't seen the AHL crease and limits in action.

Quote:
- No tie games; using a penalty shootout after overtime; After a five minute overtime, three players will be selected from each team for the shootout. If still tied, it will then be a sudden death shootout;
I enjoy shootouts, they're fun to watch, but I'm not thrilled with using them for standings-related stuff.

Quote:
- No-touch icing;
In my opinion, you need this as a part of the risk/reward that goes along with two-line passes, which will lead to another comment later.

Quote:
- Bringing back tag-up offside;
I'm neutral on this, although with both offsides changes and no-touch icing, the NHL wipes out several rules differences with college.

Quote:
- Move nets back two feet towards end boards;

- Reducing the size of the neutral zone;
Neutral.

Quote:
- A team that ices the puck cannot make a line change prior to the ensuing face-off;
I'm very negative about this. I don't like it at all.

Quote:
- Officials will have the discretion to wave off icing if it is deemed to be the result of an attempted pass;
I don't like this idea; icing adds an element of risk/reward to attempting long passes, which this rule will remove. Cherry-picking will be encouraged.

Quote:
- Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding/obstruction
I'm in favor of this, but there's going to be a lot of idiots complaining about all the power plays if they actually go through with it. College went through that last year.

Quote:
- Delay of game penalties for any players shooting the puck over the glass in his defensive zone.
I don't have a problem with this, assuming they basically apply the rule for goaltenders to the other players as well.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:08 AM   #112
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
I'm in favor of this, but there's going to be a lot of idiots complaining about all the power plays if they actually go through with it. College went through that last year.

According to the NHL:

"Public complaints or derogatory comments toward the game also will result in fines."
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html
Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 AM   #113
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

They won't be able to fine the idiot commentators or idiot fans, which will be the biggest problem.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #114
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I don't either. If John Galt was here, he'd say that shootouts were gay!

Ummmm . . . yeah . . . shootouts are gay.