Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

PGA Golfers

Just heard the John Daly story of when he won his first tournament in 1991 and a man was struck by lightning and killed. Daly donated $30,000 to each of the man's daughters for a college fund. Pretty amazing if you ask me. I mean the guy gets all kinds of shit about being a drunk and stuff but where was all the press when he did this?

If you ask me it seems like golfers don't get enough credit for the things they do for their communities and such. Considering these guys actually earn there money by playing well, if you don't play well you don't make much money as opposed to the guys in the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like John Daly and all the golfers really, for the fact that they're really "into" what's going on in the world and they always seem to be giving back. Like, it's not exactly easy to make a living on the tour if you're a player at the bottom half of the money list...and these guys are always seemingly giving back.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #3
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yeah, except I heard Loren Roberts is holding out because the tournament purses aren't high enough.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The media is tough on Daly for some good reasons and some judgement call reasons. I think some of his negative publicity is related to this "vices": the alcoholism, the emotional outbursts, the chain smoking, the hanging out at Hooter's with the gallery afterwards, parking his motor home at the Hooter's parking lot during the week of tournaments, etc. But I think the bulk of the criticism comes from the media who see him and portray him as a "tragic" figure, a man who when he puts everything aside can be one of the best players in the world yet struggles to compete consisentently because of his "inner demons." It makes for a good read and good TV.

On the other hand, I think Daly gets plenty of positive coverage from the media as a "man of the people." Whereas Tiger Woods is protrayed as a machine obsessed with golf and his swing, Daly gets show as the hero of the masses, which in many respects he is.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote