Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Where should we go on our honeymoon?
Paris 12 29.27%
Venice 6 14.63%
Other 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Poll: Where should we go on our honeymoon?

For those who don't know, lurker and I are engaged, and we've started talking about places to go on our honeymoon, most likely in July 2006. We know that we definitely want to go someplace in Europe, and we've been mostly thinking about Paris or Venice, so we thought we'd ask any of you who have been there, or who live around there, for some of your opinions.

I'll try to hit most of the issues we've talked about, although I'm sure that if I forget any, lurker will fill them in for me. First, we've thought that since it's our honeymoon, we won't want to be walking around all over the place, so we thought Venice might be nice, since it's smaller. On the other hand, we plan on having at least two weeks, so even in Paris, we'd be able to do plenty at a relaxed pace. Also, we both hate seafood, so we might not be able to get decent meals in Venice. Also, we don't have an official date set, but the date we're thinking of would put us on our honeymoon on Bastille Day, and I think it would be neat to be in Paris then. Also, we'd like to see a soccer match at some time, but that might be difficult that time of year. I think there might be a Champions League qualifier going on or something?

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment, but we'd love to hear what ideas you guys have!

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I voted other and then read your thread, because I recently got back from mine. We were like you guys, wanted Europe, but after hearing high recommendations, we looked into Cabo San Lucas (Las Ventana's) and ended going there. The travel time wasn't much, and the place was immaculate. The service and food was incredible, and it is very secluded and romantic.

Las Ventana's is part of the Rosewood Hotel chain, and I believe they have some in Europe, I would check into that hotel chain.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 07-25-2005 at 09:15 AM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Icy
Pro Starter

Venice will be so boring for a 2 weeks travel, it's so pretty for like 3 or 4 days, but small and not a lot to do there after that. If i were you, i would do a travel like the one i did past year for my honeymoon, splitting it in two parts, one for historic tourism and another for relaxing holidays.

First one week in Italy, visiting Rome, Venice, Florencia. Its really amazing if you like old buildings and history. Then you fly to the Mexico coast (Mayan Rivera, near Cancun). There you can enjoy luxury resorts (and not so expensive for the luxury they offer), awesome beaches and also some history visiting the old Mayan ruins.

It was an awesome travel, you get the best of both worlds, history and waking tourism and relaxing at beaches turism to rest from the week before.
The week in Italy will cost the same than the week in Mexico, but you will end expending more there as in Mexico hotels you have it all included.

Ask in your travel agency, most of them offer this kind of combined travels. You can change Italy for Spain that is awesome also for culture, history and food (even beaches too). The Greek Islands are awesome too. But have also on mind that in summer all the south of Europe has really high temperatures, that includes Italy, Spain and Greece, in August you can't walk in the streets from 1pm to 6pm.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
KevinNU7
College Starter

If you aren't interest in doing a lot of sight seeing I'd go to the Caribean. They will treat you like kings there for a reasonable price and the atmosphere is very relaxed
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
For those who don't know, lurker and I are engaged, and we've started talking about places to go on our honeymoon, most likely in July 2006. We know that we definitely want to go someplace in Europe, and we've been mostly thinking about Paris or Venice, so we thought we'd ask any of you who have been there, or who live around there, for some of your opinions.

I'll try to hit most of the issues we've talked about, although I'm sure that if I forget any, lurker will fill them in for me. First, we've thought that since it's our honeymoon, we won't want to be walking around all over the place, so we thought Venice might be nice, since it's smaller. On the other hand, we plan on having at least two weeks, so even in Paris, we'd be able to do plenty at a relaxed pace. Also, we both hate seafood, so we might not be able to get decent meals in Venice. Also, we don't have an official date set, but the date we're thinking of would put us on our honeymoon on Bastille Day, and I think it would be neat to be in Paris then. Also, we'd like to see a soccer match at some time, but that might be difficult that time of year. I think there might be a Champions League qualifier going on or something?

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment, but we'd love to hear what ideas you guys have!

You forgot to mention we don't like the sun or beaches. So the standard island honeymoon won't work.

But those are nice suggestions for those who like that! Thanks for the ideas so far...

Last edited by lurker : 07-25-2005 at 09:40 AM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
You forgot to mention we don't like the sun or beaches. So the standard island honeymoon won't work.

But those are nice suggestions for those who like that! Thanks for the ideas so far...

Then you can disregard the Mexican option but still think on a combined travel along Europe, visiting Spain, Italy and France for example. I prefer to visit 6 cities like spending 2 days on each one, visiting the basic palces to get an overal knowledge about the history and culture than to expend 14 days in the same city that can get you tired soon. Paris is also one of the most expensive cities in Europe if not the most.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you go to Venice, you could spend a few days there, and then spend the rest of the time touring the countryside. Lots of smaller towns, you can spend time walking around and doing cafes.

What do you mean by not wanting to walk around, by the way?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
lurker
High School JV

Yeah, that's a good idea, Icy. We were thinking of renting a car and driving around.

Don't know if you remember I posted a while back about our trip to Madrid (and Toledo) and you gave some advice. We were there for about 10 days and didn't get bored, though. It's kind of fun to soak up another lifestyle so you don't feel like you're busy doing stuff the whole time.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Well, you know what Ulysses S. Grant said about Venice:

"It'd be a nice city if they drained it."

Old 07-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
What do you mean by not wanting to walk around, by the way?

I bet he means not wanting to feel like there's so much we should see that we shouldn't waste time just being with each other on our honeymoon. Or he's just lazy?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Two weeks, though, sounds like the ideal opportunity to get a Eurail pass and train it around Europe. That way you can see a number of cities, see a lot of beautiful countryside, and not have to walk a lot.

Have you been to Rick Steves' website yet?

What kind of things do you want to do?

Venice

Will be outrageously crowded in the summer and there's only stuff there to keep you entertained for a few days. As I said above, you could augment this by renting a car and visiting the various towns in the countryside near Venice. Like Vicenza, for one.

On the other hand, Venice is very romantic and laid back, so there's that. I'm not sure what would be available for soccer at that time, though.

Paris

Can easily keep you occupied for 2 weeks. However, as with most European cities, there's a lot of walking involved, and Paris is best seen on foot (in my opinion). Add in day trips to Versailles, maybe a couple of days in the Loire Valley, etc....

It's a bit crowded in the summer, though, and Bastille Day is a bit crazy. You'll also feel like there are more tourists in Paris in the summer than actual Parisiens.

By the way, I know for a fact there's an overnight train from Paris to Venice, so you could certainly mix and match. Just remember to get a sleeper car.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
miked
College Starter

Just got back from my honeymoon in April...we went to Costa Rica. It was absolutely beautiful. Most things there were cheap, there was a ton to do (beaches, volcanoes, hiking, driving, shopping, whatever). If you go, don't spend any time in San Jose. It's sort of dumpy and most everything amazing is outside the city. It was really amazing and it didn't break the bank.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I bet he means not wanting to feel like there's so much we should see that we shouldn't waste time just being with each other on our honeymoon. Or he's just lazy?

Ah. In that case, you're probably like my wife & I. We'd rather not rush around to see all the sights, but instead just enjoy the character of the places we're visiting.

If you're not averse to the actual act of walking, then Paris can be a great choice. Besides what I posted above, it's also possible to just walk around the neighborhoods, soaking in the atmosphere.

You could couple this with a few days in the Loire Valley. Go somewhere like Blois, rent some bikes, and bicycle to the chateux. I did this (alone, sadly), for a whole week. My days went something like this:

1. Wake up, have some breakfast.
2. Get the bike.
3. Stop at the boulangerie for some fresh bread.
4. Stop at the fromagerie for some cheese.
5. Stop by a "regular" store for some water and any other lunch things (could also hit the charcuterie for some cured meats).
6. Cycle out to random chateau (there's tons of them, and the cycling is almost all flat).
7. Arrive at chateau. Take tour or not. Walk gardens or not. Spread out on gigantic lawn and nap/people-watch. Watch old guys play boule.
8. Snack.
9. Hit another chateau in the afternoon? Bike randomly?
10. Dinner.

Good stuff.

Yet more alternatively, of course, as I mentioned above you could get a Eurail pass and run around Europe. Again, if you're not averse to hiking, this would be an ideal opportunity to hit the Alps. I highly recommend the Salzgammerut in Austria (just north of Salzberg), and there's also Innsbruck, which is absolutely, completely stunning. Stay in the suburb of Mutters, which is on the plateau that surrounds Innsbruck, and just hike with each other each day. There's also lots of good places in Switzerland (Lucerne, for one), and of course the French & Italian Alps. What better way to spend time with each other than walking through the breaktakingly beautiful Alps, admidst all the bucolic splendor?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

If you want to go to Europe, rent a villa in the South of Spain near Marbella. It's relatively inexpensive and on the coast. The food and wine are good and cheap. There are a lot of good day driving trips--Gibraltar, Rhonda, Nerja, etc. You could even ferry over to Morocco for a day or night trip.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Just got back from my honeymoon in April...we went to Costa Rica. It was absolutely beautiful. Most things there were cheap, there was a ton to do (beaches, volcanoes, hiking, driving, shopping, whatever). If you go, don't spend any time in San Jose. It's sort of dumpy and most everything amazing is outside the city. It was really amazing and it didn't break the bank.

Awesome, that's me and my fiancee's first choice as of right now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #16
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I would do both Paris and Venice. Spend 3-4 days in Venice, and then the rest in France.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #17
rlfreeze
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
By the way, I know for a fact there's an overnight train from Paris to Venice, so you could certainly mix and match. Just remember to get a sleeper car.

The train is a great idea. I would even look into get a Eurail pass. This would allow you the most flexibility in your travel.

BTW, I highly recommend Rome. Spent a week there in the summer of '03 and could prolly do another 2 weeks. Paris is also very nice, but it is very crowded. Another place in France to see that is very nice is next to the Swiss Alps in France, Lake Annecy. Awesome area and very beautiful. And if you do end up going to France, let me know, my wife wants a French quilt. Eurail Pass.

Last edited by rlfreeze : 07-25-2005 at 10:29 AM.
rlfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Niagara Falls
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #19
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't have a problem with actually walking -- it's pretty much what lurker said. The eurail pass is an interesting idea, but I think we've been thinking that that's trying to do too much at once, considering it's our honeymoon. Also, we do plan to go back to Europe, so we figure that maybe on that trip, we can try to do/see more.

We have thought about doing both Paris and Venice -- like lurker said, renting a car, and ambling our way from Paris to Venice, but again, we were still worried that it was trying to do too much.

The villa in the south of Spain does sound cool -- although, we've already been to Spain, but not France or Italy. However, we were only around Madrid, and we would like to go to the south sometime.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #20
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ireland?

Everyone I know who's gone there (and I know one couple who went there for their honeymoon) had an absolutely amazing time.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #21
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

No Trout Fishing option?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Eurailing across Europe can be a lot of fun and not a lot of hassle provided two things:

1. You're somewhat comfortable with Europe (or at least comfortable with showing up in places you've not been to before and don't speak the language).

2. The thought of showing up in a European city and having to find a place to stay doesn't bug you out.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
No Trout Fishing option?

This baffled the Ebonics Translator:

Quote:
No Trout Fishing option? all ye damn hood ratz..

Last edited by rkmsuf : 07-25-2005 at 12:03 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #24
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Yeah, I don't have a problem with actually walking -- it's pretty much what lurker said. The eurail pass is an interesting idea, but I think we've been thinking that that's trying to do too much at once, considering it's our honeymoon. Also, we do plan to go back to Europe, so we figure that maybe on that trip, we can try to do/see more.

We have thought about doing both Paris and Venice -- like lurker said, renting a car, and ambling our way from Paris to Venice, but again, we were still worried that it was trying to do too much.

The villa in the south of Spain does sound cool -- although, we've already been to Spain, but not France or Italy. However, we were only around Madrid, and we would like to go to the south sometime.

Another city you should consider is Prague. It has all the beauty, history, and romanticism of Paris, but it's less crowded, less expensive, has great transportation (subways, etc), and you could also take a short train ride to spend a few days in Vienna, another amazing european capital that has all the same benefits. If you've never been to Paris though, you can't go wrong spending a couple of weeks there.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Be careful with Paris, Pass. My bro went to Paris last year on his honeymoon and he and his wife came back exhausted. They felt like they had to spend the majority of their time taking in the sights, and it wore them out. Of course, with two weeks there you would have more time to relax if you wanted to...

Me, I'm going for the beach. R&R, baby...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
Another city you should consider is Prague. It has all the beauty, history, and romanticism of Paris, but it's less crowded, less expensive, has great transportation (subways, etc), and you could also take a short train ride to spend a few days in Vienna, another amazing european capital that has all the same benefits. If you've never been to Paris though, you can't go wrong spending a couple of weeks there.

I agree with Vienna. I Eurorailed/backpacked through Europe when I was 20 and Vienna was by far the most romantic city I visited. Of course, that could be because of the girl I met in Vienna... (but I really do think the city was great and can't wait to take Mrs. Eaglesfan there in a few years.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #27
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Went to Italy fairly recently (I was born in Livorno). If it was me, and it's not, I would do the following:
  • 1 day fly and recoup (after entering the mile high club, of course)
  • venice for 2-3 days...train to Firenze
  • Firenze (Florence) for 3-4 days (you can take a side trip to Pisa, or go to Livorno on the coast)...train to Rome
  • Rome 5-6 days
  • 1 day fly home
It all depends on how rich you are, or how often you think you will be going to Europe. There is Britain, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland (that was awesome), etc...

I would not have wanted to go to just one of these countries, but as many as possible. If $$ will not be a problem, or you have week long babysitting people when children come, ok. However, if anything might arise, I would want to see a few places in a country, then go to another next time, and so on.

Of course, summer isn't really when I would want to go, but that's another thing.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
No Trout Fishing option?

First thing that I thought I would see in this thread for a response. Amazed it took until post #21. Still missing is scuba diving in search of colossal....
Old 07-26-2005, 06:57 AM   #29
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci

I just went to Prague last year - it is more expensive and touristy than I ever expected.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 AM   #30
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I need pics.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #31
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #32
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I just went to Prague last year - it is more expensive and touristy than I ever expected.

maybe, but compared to Paris....
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #33
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I agree with Vienna. I Eurorailed/backpacked through Europe when I was 20 and Vienna was by far the most romantic city I visited. Of course, that could be because of the girl I met in Vienna...

You aren't really obsessed with the movie Before Sunrise and pretending you had that experience, are you? Actually, I would really like to go to Vienna. That, Scotland, and Ireland are other places we've (well, me) have been considering.

I agree with everyone who said summer won't be the best time to go, for the crowds and the heat (and usually when somebody says it's nice out, it's unbearable hell for us), but Passa's a teacher and he'll have the summer off so it makes the best sense. Of course, the grown-up in the relationship will have to take vacation time anyway...

We're definitely not rich, but we do love Europe and want to go back often, and since we don't spend a lot of money on other things, we think we'll be able to. So, there's not too much pressure to see everything this time -- just to have an awesome, unique trip.

I'm leaning towards going to Venice for a few days and then renting a car to drive around Italy or to the south of France. But keep your ideas coming! And thanks!

Does anyone think not knowing Italian would be a problem in a small town like Venice? I took Spanish for five years, but I still had plenty of problems in Spain -- even Madrid.

Last edited by lurker : 07-26-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #34
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

It's been like that for years--it was "discovered" by young American expats in the early 90s looking for that Hemingway "lost generation" experience. By the mid 90s, Americanization had reached its peak--you could find a KFC in Wenceslaus Square...

I liked Budapest a whole lot better. It's a beautiful city and had that unspoilt quality to it that Prague allegedly used to have. I haven't been there in many years though--I wouldn't be surprised if Budapest has since gotten touristy as well.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 07-26-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You aren't really obsessed with the movie Before Sunrise and pretending you had that experience, are you? Actually, I would really like to go to Vienna. That, Scotland, and Ireland are other places we've (well, me) have been considering.

I agree with everyone who said summer won't be the best time to go, for the crowds and the heat (and usually when somebody says it's nice out, it's unbearable hell for us), but Passa's a teacher and he'll have the summer off so it makes the best sense. Of course, the grown-up in the relationship will have to take vacation time anyway...

We're definitely not rich, but we do love Europe and want to go back often, and since we don't spend a lot of money on other things, we think we'll be able to. So, there's not too much pressure to see everything this time -- just to have an awesome, unique trip.

I'm leaning towards going to Venice for a few days and then renting a car to drive around Italy or to the south of France. But keep your ideas coming! And thanks!

Does anyone think not knowing Italian would be a problem in a small town like Venice? I took Spanish for five years, but I still had plenty of problems in Spain -- even Madrid.

I've actually never seen that movie, but those 5 days in Vienna were so great that I often wonder if I imagined them. Of course, life with my wife is great too
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #36
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I've actually never seen that movie, but those 5 days in Vienna were so great that I often wonder if I imagined them. Of course, life with my wife is great too

You should see it. You pretty much described the movie. Plus, it captures the culture of Europe (or what I imagine/read the culture to be) so well, every time I see it, I want to go to Europe right away.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #37
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
It's been like that for years--it was "discovered" by young American expats in the early 90s looking for that Hemingway "lost generation" experience.
Speaking of Hemingway, every European guidebook we've read has to go on about places he's stayed at, eaten at, or stumbled drunk out of. Yeah, he got around -- enough already. It'd be nice to occasionally read about where Thomas Hardy or Victor Hugo or an actual good writer got his or her inspiration.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #38
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Speaking of Hemingway, every European guidebook we've read has to go on about places he's stayed at, eaten at, or stumbled drunk out of. Yeah, he got around -- enough already. It'd be nice to occasionally read about where Thomas Hardy or Victor Hugo or an actual good writer got his or her inspiration.

Heh heh, I'll have to agree with you there!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #39
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Does anyone think not knowing Italian would be a problem in a small town like Venice?

No Italian in Venice isn't going to be a problem - tons of people there will speak English, just like any city in Europe that is touristy. Of course, it helps if you can at least try to speak some Italian (at least the basics).

Last edited by bob : 07-26-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #40
bob
College Starter

Quote:
It's been like that for years--it was "discovered" by young American expats in the early 90s looking for that Hemingway "lost generation" experience. By the mid 90s, Americanization had reached its peak--you could find a KFC in Wenceslaus Square...

I liked Budapest a whole lot better. It's a beautiful city and had that unspoilt quality to it that Prague allegedly used to have. I haven't been there in many years though--I wouldn't be surprised if Budapest has since gotten touristy as well.

I'm actually reading a novel about the early 90s expats. The book is about expats in Budapest who think they picked the wrong city....

Prague by Arthur Phillips
Old 07-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #41
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I'm actually reading a novel about the early 90s expats. The book is about expats in Budapest who think they picked the wrong city....

Prague by Arthur Phillips

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at it...
Old 07-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #42
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Interesting, I'll have to take a look at it...

I just started it - I'll write a quick review when I'm done.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #43
Blackadar
Retired

Wherever she'd be comfortable getting drunk so you can stick it in her butt.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:14 AM   #44
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
No Italian in Venice isn't going to be a problem - tons of people there will speak English, just like any city in Europe that is touristy.

Tons of people? Rally? I didn't know that...
BTW for big shops and hotels English is not a problem. But if you want see the 'real' italy, maybe could be difficoult to find english-speaking people. BTW, you won't have problems here, for sure. Italians are so lazy learning different languages that they've learned to be clear with every kind of turist just knowing ten words on the whole in english, french and german. It's a national standard...
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:50 AM   #45
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I haven't read all the posts, but all I can say is wherever you end up, go around the world with her.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:29 AM   #46
Tara
Mascot

Seriously speaking...If you was thinking to travel to Venice, do it. That's an amazing city. But when you here take your time to visit it. Too much Venice in one time could results disgusting. I mean there are a lot of thing too see, most of which are the city itself. Don't make an hurry to see the most turistical place...if It's true that during the summer Venice is full of tourist is also because they are all concentrated in the same place.
The best plan should be:
-take an hotel in the city (inside Venice)...not near that ( like Mestre). Hotels there are a little expansive but they are wonderful.
-a big tourist spot a day. Not more than that.
-the rest of the day walk around in the little street of the city and enjoy discovering new places.
-thake a trip to Murano a near Island, famous for the great glass art work
-discover new restourants...

I think 4 days are enough.

Than you could easily travel to Ravenna. Near Venice.
Obviously you can choose also other italian city after Venice, but keep in mind that for city like Rome or Venice a week is not enough. So if you choose other city take the smaller ones: Siena, Pisa...

If you want some good sea time, South of italy is suggested. Best if you choose South Tuscany, Sicily Islands or Sardinia.
But always if you want to stay in Italy...From venice, in the end you can choose any european city.

Last edited by Tara : 07-27-2005 at 03:30 AM.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 AM   #47
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
Tons of people? Rally? I didn't know that...
BTW for big shops and hotels English is not a problem. But if you want see the 'real' italy, maybe could be difficoult to find english-speaking people. BTW, you won't have problems here, for sure. Italians are so lazy learning different languages that they've learned to be clear with every kind of turist just knowing ten words on the whole in english, french and german. It's a national standard...

I went there about this time of the year last summer for five days, and went to only one place in which lack of Italian was a problem for me. But maybe I just got lucky.