Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #51
Craptacular
College Starter

My suggestion (if you don't mind driving and want to see a lot of stuff):

Day 1: Fly to Denver (3-3.5 hr direct flight), check out Denver, or go through Rocky Mountain National Park. Spend night on west side of Denver or Winter Park (depending on if you go to RMNP)

Day 2: Drive through mountains on I-70. Check out Dillon / Silverthorne for shopping, Vail for higher-priced shopping, Glenwood Canyon for incredible scenery, then relax in the Hot Springs Pool in Glenwood Springs. Stay the night.

Day 3: Drive to Aspen early in the morning (ridiculously-priced shopping), then continue SE across Independence Pass. Head east to Colorado Springs. It's a lot of driving, but tremendously beautiful scenery might make up for it.

Day 4: Take the cog railway up to the top of Pikes Peak in the morning (or the Pikes Peak Highway if you're feeling adventurous). Spend the middle of the day in the Garden of the Gods, then head back to Denver Int'l Airport for an evening flight home.

If that's too much driving and not enough time for any one stop, you could focus on the mountainous areas west of Denver and skip Pikes Peak, the Springs, etc. Go back there sometime in the summer and add a rafting trip on the Arkansas River.

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #52
Blackadar
Retired

Vegas it is. Booked it yesterday. Man, the money goes fast.

We're actually going in August because some other things came about that would have made September or October difficult.

I got a good package that allows us to fly out there and stay at the MGM Grand for just over $1,200. Figuring on $300 for taxes, cab rides and other incidentals, that will still leave us about $1,000 for shows, tours, shopping, spas, dinners and gamblilng. I know we're hitting Hoover Dam one day ($50 each, round trip). We need at least $250 for food - that should get us breakfast, lunch and dinner. Neither of us drinks that much. That leaves $650 without dipping into my own pocket.

For the wife, I'll get her a spa package around $200. Down to $450.

I want to hit the shark tank, IMAX theatre and a few other local places. That's another $100. Down to $350.

Two tickets to a show. Not sure which one. Perhaps V or Mystere or Zumanity. Or even Blue Man Group. Have to figure $100 a ticket. Though Improv at Harrah's is looking good for $30 a ticket. The Wife likes comedy - she's married to me.

So that leaves either $150 or $275 for gambing and shopping, depending on the show we see. Ug. Looks like I'll have to suppliment with about $500 out of my own pocket. Yowsa. Things get expensive fast.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #53
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

OK, if your wife likes comedy hit "Second City" at The Flamingo. It is like SCTV/Saturday Night Live. It is sketch comedy. The nice thing is they do it in a small "theater" and the audience helps steer the show. The show is an asbolute blast and you can get tickets for about $30.

Most big shows (all the Cirque shows especially) will run you about $100 for a decent seat. BMG is also about $100. The key with Cirque is that you'll have to book early, very early to get seats together. I would book them now. BookVegas.com does a pretty solid job at securing seats and will let you request seats. Otherwise, book direct through the hotel. Mystere or O are said to be the best. I've heard great things about Ka, which will be playing right there at your hotel.

Seeing as you're only there for 3-4 days, you're going to be very busy. Those shows when you factor in getting dressed up, having dinner, and standing in line will take up a few hours one evening. Hoover Dam will probably take up the better part of a day.

The IMAX thing isn't that big. The city has several IMAX options and none of them would be particularly better than the other. I would make sure that you don't see a show that you can't otherwise see anywhere else.

A spa treatment would be great for the wife. There are plenty of options in Vegas and should be a decent one right there at MGM Grand.

What is the deal with shark tank? Are you referring to the deal at Mandalay Bay? The shark encounter at Mandalay Bay is absolutely awesome. It is one of the better aquariums I've visted. If animals are your thing, be sure to hit the Siegfried & Roy Secret Garden at The Mirage. It's excellent. I had never seen a white lion before.

In terms of local transportation, cabs are just ONE option. If you're in shape and don't mind the walk that is always a good option. Of course it will be hot as hell in August. Still, the MGM Grand is connected to the monorail and when that works, you're in great shape. Also the No. 301 bus and 302 bus are great. They run up/down the Strip 24/7 and are much cheaper than a cab. Cabs in Vegas have a tendancy to be a ripoff, moreso than other cities. You're better off renting a car, which you can get for under $20 a day. Parking is free in Vegas.

$250/day for food might be a bit much, unless you are planning on eating lavishly breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is a bargain in Vegas. Lunches usually aren't too expensive. Dinner is where they'll nail you. Keep in mind that if you go to a nice restaurant for dinner, you will be required to dress nice. This is a step away from the social norm in Vegas, where casual is king. You'll also have to have reservations. Mix it up a bit. And, don't be fooled by the places that charge $30 for a buffet. A buffet is a buffet. I got food poisoning once from the lavish buffet at The Mirage and had a better buffet on my next trip at the Stratosphere. More expensive isn't always better when it comes to a buffet. I'd say $5 to $10 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, $25 for dinner is the norm, unless you eat fancy. You could probably eat for $50-$100/day per person ($100-$200 total). You'll already be saving the day you to to Hoover Dam. They'll either stop at a fast food joint or pack you a sack lunch. FYI, always look for bargain meals in Vegas. Best steak dinner I've ever had was only $6.99 and that was at The Palms. Excellent meal and a good price. Many of those cheap meals usually result in a decent meal. Don't be fooled by the bargain.

Shopping in Vegas is another story. The Strip is filled with high-end shopping malls, with prices that will require you to hit the jackpot. Put it this way, your wife will love shopping, but I'm sure you'll get out of there without spending too much. It's just too expensive, but it's nice to say you tried on a designer outfit or in the case of Wynn Las
Vegas, sat in a Ferrari.

Vegas is fun. Look on eBay for coupons and discounts. Also, check out LasVegasAdvisor.com. They have some good message boards there. Also, they have a $50 membership that gets you a great coupon book, with lots of 2-for-1 stuff on things your going to want to see and places you'll want to eat, as well as some gambling deals. There's another site that you can find discounts, but the URL escapes me at the moment.

Have fun. That place is an absolute blast. I've been there so many times and I still haven't seen/done everything.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #54
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
$250/day for food might be a bit much, unless you are planning on eating lavishly breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is a bargain in Vegas. Lunches usually aren't too expensive. Dinner is where they'll nail you. Keep in mind that if you go to a nice restaurant for dinner, you will be required to dress nice. This is a step away from the social norm in Vegas, where casual is king. You'll also have to have reservations. Mix it up a bit. And, don't be fooled by the places that charge $30 for a buffet. A buffet is a buffet. I got food poisoning once from the lavish buffet at The Mirage and had a better buffet on my next trip at the Stratosphere. More expensive isn't always better when it comes to a buffet. I'd say $5 to $10 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, $25 for dinner is the norm, unless you eat fancy. You could probably eat for $50-$100/day per person ($100-$200 total). You'll already be saving the day you to to Hoover Dam. They'll either stop at a fast food joint or pack you a sack lunch. FYI, always look for bargain meals in Vegas. Best steak dinner I've ever had was only $6.99 and that was at The Palms. Excellent meal and a good price. Many of those cheap meals usually result in a decent meal. Don't be fooled by the bargain.

...think that he figured $250 for the whole trip (4 days) so $62.50 a day, or $31.25 per person, or $10.42 per meal -- probably about right.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #55
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu

Shopping in Vegas is another story. The Strip is filled with high-end shopping malls, with prices that will require you to hit the jackpot. Put it this way, your wife will love shopping, but I'm sure you'll get out of there without spending too much. It's just too expensive, but it's nice to say you tried on a designer outfit or in the case of Wynn Las
Vegas, sat in a Ferrari.

They won't let you sit in the Ferraris unless your a true potential buyer. I am amaze at the high-end shops in Vegas, and in our country (and high-end spending in shopping). I am baffle at how many people can afford such things. I know we are rich, but we aren't that rich.

Anyways, how is Wynn Las Vegas? Is it all the hype?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #56
Blackadar
Retired

Sounds like I need to up my food budget some.

Yes, I was talking about the Mandalay Bay shark encounter.

The wife likes IMAX.

I really don't want a rental car and cabs are fine. We shouldn't have to use them all that often anyway.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:23 AM   #57
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When Mrs. A and I got married in New Orleans, we set up a web page for out of town guests. Below is a cut and paste of the "recreation" section of that web page. It will give you a sense of things to do in New Orleans besides drunken debauchary. Ignore any references to proximity to the Church or Liz and Eric's place (which I tried to remove). September/October is a great time to visit the city. Hope that it helps.

We hope that you use your time in New Orleans to have fun as well as to celebrate our love. With that in mind, here are our best suggestions on places to eat and things to do (which, in New Orleans, are one in the same).
Preservation Hall Jazz Band–726 St. Peter St. (in the French Quarter). $5 cover. Great Old-School New Orleans Jazz. Pretty crowded with a mix of tourists and locals, but well worth it. A real hole in the wall. When you come to New Orleans to hear Jazz, you need to sit through a set here. We can’t say much more about it than all that has been said over the years.

Café Du Monde–800 Decatur Street (Across from Jackson Square in the French Quarter). Coffee and French Donuts. They taste amazing, and it would be completely bizarre to visit New Orleans and not eat here. Kind of like going to Hawaii and not seeing the beach. You just need to do this.

Walk the French Quarter in general. The Quarter has a lot to offer. Too much to enumerate. During the day, it has lots of old bookstores, bakeries, and antique stores to visit. At night, people walk around drinking from open containers filled with strong alcohol and generally have fun together. Just go where your whimsey takes you. The music spills into the street at night, so it is not hard to hear something you like and go into a place.

Acme Oyster House–724 Iberville St. (In the Quarter). Where, you may ask, is some the best seafood in New Orleans at an affordable price? Look no farther than the Acme Oyster House. There is almost always a wait because both locals and tourists know that Acme is dang good. The best raw oysters in the city–and lots of other yummy New Orleans food, too. Just really not to be missed.

Jacque-Imo’s–8324 Oak St. (Uptown New Orleans–within walking distance of the streetcar line). This restaurant is so good that there is routinely a 1.5-2 hour wait for a table. They do, however, accept reservations for parties of 6 or more. It would be worth it to get a large enough group to get a table there. The food is simply out of this world. Kind of a neo-soul food-seafood-New Orleans blend. Eclectic. Also–the bar next door–The Maple Leaf–tends to have some pretty good bands. It’s a bit of a college bar, but still pretty cool. Worth having a beer there if you don’t get a large group and get caught with a wait a Jacque’s.

Magazine Street Antique Shops. If you are looking for some good antique shops (and aren’t we all) you can do a lot worse than Magazine Street in New Orleans. If you are interested, visit http://www.magazinestreet.com.

Ride the streetcar down St. Charles Ave. (NOTE: Also provides access to other features (Camellia Grill, Ciro’s Cote Sud, Commander’s Palace, and Jacque-Imo’s) as noted therein) Get a leisurely look at one of the most beautiful and historic streets in the world.

Pat O’Brians. 718–St. Peter St. (In the French Quarter). Another New Orleans tradition. Their signature drink is the Hurricane, which contains four shots of rum, so be warned. They are big and they move a lot of liquor. They also have a pretty cool fire fountain outside. If you like big, bustling bars–this is your place. When you return home, people will ask you if you got here or not.

The Dragon’s Den–435 Esplanade Ave. (On the back end of the quarter). It’s a bit of a hike from your hotel, but a brisk walk or short cab ride will do you good. It’s albionmoonlight’s favorite bar in the city. Almost always has a funky-cool band playing. The drinks are strong and affordable. The ultimate in holes in the wall. The atmosphere is a bit like an opium den. Lots of tattoos and piercings among the patrons. You will find yourself wondering how the people in this bar make their living when the sun comes up. Almost always worth the trip.

Port of Call–838 Esplanade Ave. (Back end of the Quarter. By the Dragon’s Den). The best hamburgers in New Orleans. Nothing more or less than that.

Commerce Restaurant–300 Camp Street (just outside of the Quarter. Very Close to the Hotel). Where the locals eat lunch. Very affordable. On Mondays, you can get red beans and rice and a porkchop. Yummy. Good to know that it is there on your way out to the quarter.

Central Grocery–923 Decatur St. (In the Quarter). You may choose to stop here for one reason and one reason only. The mufaletta: a hearty New Orleans sandwich filled with 3/4 pound of various pork derived meats, cheeses, and olive salad, all on Itallian bread. Grab one and take a short walk down to the river, sit on a bench and eat it. Central grocery is the original mufaletta.

Camellia Grill–626 South Carrollton Ave. (In Uptown New Orleans–on the streetcar line). This is nothing more or less than a world famous greasy spoon. Try the chilli-cheese omelet. You will not have to eat again that day. Good burgers, etc, too. Very cool and friendly waitstaff. Very cool crowd, too. Another place where the locals and tourists both like to go.

Ciro’s Cote Sud–7918 Maple Street (In Uptown. Walking distance from the streetcar line). ROMANTIC, ROMANTIC, ROMANTIC. And the food is amazing. It’s a little French restaurant run by a little old French Grandma. The food is crazy good, but not crazy expensive. Did we mention that it is romantic? For those of you from Chapel Hill–think Café’ La Res, but with better food for cheaper. It’s really great. Little trivia–it used to be a pizza parlor before the new owner took over. Because a lot of people kept coming in looking for pizza, they decided to put in on the menu. So it’s a French restaurant that serves pizza.

Deanie’s Restaurant–1019 Annunciation Street (In the warehouse district). A very good cafeteria style seafood restaurant where the locals like to eat. Albion loves it because the seafood is good and fresh and the price is right. It is on this list, however, for one reason and one reason only. On Fridays, they serve a BBQ shrimp Po-Boy to die for. One of the best single meals in the city and certainly one of the best meals for under $10 in America. Only open on weekdays for lunch.

Commander’s Palace–1427 Washington Ave. (Uptown New Orleans. Walkable from the streetcar line. Valet parking available). Depending on which reviewer you ask and what year you ask them, Commander’s Palace is the best restaurant in the country. However, unlike a lot of the items on this list, you will pay for this one. However, if you want to see one of the top five restaurants in the country and are willing to pay for it, here it is).

Frankie and Johnny’s–321 Arabella St. (Uptown New Orleans. Not really walkable from the streetcar, though). Just a great New Orleans seafood restaurant. A very casual, bluejeans and beer sort of place. They have alligator pie if you are interested. Not really next to other stuff, but one of the places that Eric and Liz almost always take first time visitor’s to the city. Everything there is good.

Charlie’s Seafood–8311 Jefferson Highway (The suburbs). Good, fresh, local seafood prepared by locals for locals. Big portions. Very good. The bread pudding in butter sauce is the best thing on the menu. Very informal–plastic tablecloths kind of place.

Drago’s–3232 North Arnoult Rd. (The Suburbs) They have chargrilled oysters (with butter, and herbs, and cheese and all sorts of yummy goodness). If you go, order nothing but the chargrilled oysters–a dozen or two per person. Love the chargrilled oysters; they will reward your love. This is the only way that albionmoonlight has ever had oysters prepared that he likes better than raw. If it were convenient to anything else fun in the city, it would be a must-see.

Napoleon House Bar and Café–500 Charters St. (In the Quarter). A neat place with some atmosphere for dessert and coffee after a long night. Named because Napoleon was planning to live there had he ever gotten to America after his exile. He never made it. It’s a little pricey--They charge you as if Napoleon did make it to the house.

F&M Patio Bar (4841 Tchoupitoulas) and Snake and Jake’s Christmas Lounge (7612 Oak St.) (both Uptown, but not next to each other) If, for some reason, it is 4 AM and you still feel like drinking in a small dark place, you will find like minded people here. No other reason to go to either of these places.

Crabby Jacks--the guy who started Jacque-Imo's? He opened a lunch place between uptown and Metarie. Best fried chicken in the Universe, among other things. Jacque-Imo's food without the wait and without Jacque-Imo's prices.

Tucker’s Tavern--Home of the almost world famous stuffed, deep fried burger. Either that appeals to you or it does not.

Donna's--Back end of the quarter. On Monday nights, the Tuxedo Jazz band (which counted Louie Armstrong as a member) plays and you get free red beans and rice at midnight. Yum for the ears and the tummy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #58
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--didn't read far enough down to see that you had already booked Vegas. Can't say that I blame you. Have a blast.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #59
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Sounds like I need to up my food budget some.

Yes, I was talking about the Mandalay Bay shark encounter.

The wife likes IMAX.

I really don't want a rental car and cabs are fine. We shouldn't have to use them all that often anyway.

What do you play at the tables/slots, and how long and how much a hand/spin?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #60
rkmsuf
Head Coach

gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir
Old 07-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #61
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
What do you play at the tables/slots, and how long and how much a hand/spin?

Blackjack, $10 table. $.25 slots. And not for too long - I lose quickly.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #62
Craptacular
College Starter

For transportation on the strip, make sure you consider the free monorails on the west side. They connect Mandalay Bay to Luxor and Excalibur; Monte Carlo to Bellagio, and Mirage to Treasure Island. They're certainly not the fastest option, but it's a fairly easy trip between Bellagio and Mandalay Bay, with a walk through or in front of NY/NY.

We saw Blue Man Group when we couldn't get in to O. It was a good show. I think we paid about $75-$80 a ticket, for seats in the center of the first row not to get ponchos (row 5 or 6??). That was in 2002, so I'm guessing the prices have gone up. They came out in the hallway after the show to let people get pictures with them, which I thought was a nice touch.

Even though we stayed at Mandalay Bay, we didn't check out the aquarium. Hopefully it was better than "the beach" at MB. Post your opinion if you check it out. We might be going back to LV this fall as part of a Zion / Grand Canyon trip.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 PM   #63
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Niagra falls is nice, Montreal is right there and that is a great city.

Montreal is no where near Niagara Falls. Are you thinkiing of Toronto??

Have fun in Vegas!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote