Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Ping 49ers - Alex Smith is signed !

There will be no holdout.
Alex Smith agreed to a six-year $57M contrat (according to CNNSI) or $49,5M (according to ESPN) but what is certain is that he received a $24M signing bonus. All in all, his contract is a 20% increase over Eli Manning's contract from last year, thus making it the highest ever signed by a rookie.

A.Smith will report to camp on time ! That's good news for the every 49er fans out there.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.

Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 AM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Great now maybe all the other first rounders will get signed. Fucking Smith holding up progress.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
There will be no holdout.
Alex Smith agreed to a six-year $57M contrat (according to CNNSI) or $49,5M (according to ESPN) but what is certain is that he received a $24M signing bonus. All in all, his contract is a 20% increase over Eli Manning's contract from last year, thus making it the highest ever signed by a rookie.

I understand salaries rise every year, but 20%? He's not 3/4 as good as Manning, le alone 20%better. The Nfl needs to get rookie contracts under control
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I understand salaries rise every year, but 20%? He's not 3/4 as good as Manning, le alone 20%better. The Nfl needs to get rookie contracts under control

One thing I think NBA has right... or at least as close to right as any of the big 4 (or is it 3... hmmmm)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
kurtism
High School Varsity

Suddenly, Peyton's signing bonus looks like a bargain! Thanks, Niners!
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree, but you have to realize that the union needs SOMETHING to take back to its membership after the CBA talks. The NFL already has a hard cap and non-guaranteed contracts. Granted, compared to the unions in the other big sports, the NFLPA is basically neutered (thanks in large part to the owners' gutsy and successful decision to play the 1987 season with scab labor). But I don't even see the NFLPA accepting a hard cap, non-guaranteed contracts, AND low rookie contracts. There would be no point in having a union if it gave up all of those.

Perhaps a good middle ground would be to have slotted rookie deals (so that there were no holdouts) but to keep them nice and fat (so the agents stay happy).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Perhaps a good middle ground would be to have slotted rookie deals (so that there were no holdouts) but to keep them nice and fat (so the agents stay happy).

Well, when the NBA went to slotted contracts, they did not roll them back, they set them to be no more than x% greater than the previous year's. The NFL cannot live with 20% increase every year, so they really need to do something like that soon.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The NFL could certainly have slotted deals, with the players still receiving a hefty chunk of change. There should be no reason for these guys to routinely miss camp.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I like Peyton Manning and think Eli will be good. But, I would dispute that claim. How do you know that he isn't 3/4 as good as Manning. Eli hasn't done much yet, and Smith might end up being significantly better than Manning.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
Vince
Pro Starter

Hrm. I don't know how I feel about this -- Smith's probably going to be a fine starter, but man that's a lot of money to throw at one player.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I do agree with the idea that the spiraling bonuses and salaries for rookies is concerning.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Hrm. I don't know how I feel about this -- Smith's probably going to be a fine starter, but man that's a lot of money to throw at one player.

There wasn't a lot of leverage there Vince.
As you know, Smith's contract -by definition- couldn't be lower in 2005 than the one last year's #1 overall pick Eli Manning received...so everyone figured from the start that it'd be in the £45-50M range with a bonus in the $20-25 range.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I agree, but you have to realize that the union needs SOMETHING to take back to its membership after the CBA talks. The NFL already has a hard cap and non-guaranteed contracts. Granted, compared to the unions in the other big sports, the NFLPA is basically neutered (thanks in large part to the owners' gutsy and successful decision to play the 1987 season with scab labor). But I don't even see the NFLPA accepting a hard cap, non-guaranteed contracts, AND low rookie contracts. There would be no point in having a union if it gave up all of those.

I think most of the NFLPA would be more then happy to let rookies be slotted into a salary. It would in the end leave more money for veteran players since Mr. Rookie isn't taking up as much cap space.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #14
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
There wasn't a lot of leverage there Vince.
As you know, Smith's contract -by definition- couldn't be lower in 2005 than the one last year's #1 overall pick Eli Manning received...so everyone figured from the start that it'd be in the £45-50M range with a bonus in the $20-25 range.

I know...but I don't have to like it
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That's funny. How many Pro bowls has Eli Manning made?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Eli Manning is teh suck.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
That's funny. How many Pro bowls has Eli Manning made?

6. He's already been assigned to the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 (he'll get injured early in 2009 and miss 7 or 8 games), 2011, and 2012 Pro Bowls. The Press is waiting to see how he does this season before deciding on 2013 and beyond...