Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Flash MP3 Players: Advice Needed.

I'm looking to get a flash mp3 player, and was wondering if there were any out there that y'all recommend highly or recommend I avoid like the plague and then some. My demands for said device are:

1. Direct drive connection to my PC. I don't want to have to install extra software or a proprietary program to transfer stuff, I want to do it drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer.
2. 512 MB or better.
3. mp3 support. Couldn't care less about the other formats, since I rarely use them.
4. AA or AAA battery powered.

So, I'm opening the floor for recommendations and products to avoid. I already have a 40 GB iPod, which this won't be replacing per se. This would be more used for ebooks and podcasts, because it can be kind of a pain in the butt to switch between those and my regular music on the iPod (silly lack of "bookmarks" in mp3's!). Links for devices, where approprite, would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'd sell you my device (Creative MuVo) for cheap, but it's 256MB and not 512MB. It does meet that first requirement you listed (that was a big factor for me), and also lets you do voice recordings and has an FM radio built in.

~rpi-fan
Old 07-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I knew a couple people who bought a Sansdisk mp3 player. I never used them, but they were happy with them. I only mention it because it fits #1, at least it did a couple years ago.

Linkies:

512mb
1gb

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

I love my Ipod shuffle as a running companion, but I don't recommend it at all for audio books and the like. It takes too long to find the right track.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'll be picking up the IRiver iFP-799 later this week so I should be able to tell you more about it then. I believe it meets your criteria above excpet that it does have a separate program. I've heard that iRiver has enabled the use of direct connection but I'm not sure about that.

IRiver iFP-799

I previously owned a Samsung YEPP YP-T7X but it took a fall while I was running and died. It meets your criteria except for the battery type, it was rechargable. It was a decent flash mp3 player and I'm only replacing it because of my accident.

The Rio Forge Sport would meet all your criteria but I don't know anyone that's owned one. Here's a link...

Rio Forge Sport
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I love my Ipod shuffle as a running companion, but I don't recommend it at all for audio books and the like. It takes too long to find the right track.

I suppose that devices with an LCD screen, while a bit more expensive, are a bit more useful in this regard.

My biggest problem with listening to podcasts and audio books on the ipod is that quite often (especially with audio books), I'll want to pause it and listen to music for awhile, without having to re-find my place. I figure having a flash mp3 player for spoken word stuff only means that it won't have to be too large (capacity-wise) and will make switching listening preferences much easier.

rpi-PM me if you really want to part with yours. I might seriously have to consider it...

I'll also be looking at the others mentioned in this thread, so thanks for the recommendations so far! Keep 'em coming, please.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
My biggest problem with listening to podcasts and audio books on the ipod is that quite often (especially with audio books), I'll want to pause it and listen to music for awhile, without having to re-find my place. I figure having a flash mp3 player for spoken word stuff only means that it won't have to be too large (capacity-wise) and will make switching listening preferences much easier.

/tk

I use audible to listen to all of my audio books. It may be particular to their download utility (which works through itunes), but my ipod (shuffle or regular) does bookmark the spot.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote