Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #1
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Damn, I did it again (bumped an Archived thread)
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...676#post838676

Here what was written in that thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

By the ends of books 6 and 7 "you'll have all the back story you'll need", says JK Rowling, and a prequel will not be necessary

There will be a new Minister of Magic, no more Mr. Fudge.

We will find out what happened to Hagrid's half brother Grawp. He will be a bit more controllable in book 6.

The Dursleys are in the next book, but Harry's stay with them will be the shortest yet.

In book 5 he stayed for 4 weeks, so we know his stay will be less than 4 weeks.

Cho Chang will not be a romantic interest of Harry in Book 6, however there will be a "little romance" for Harry says JK.

In books 6 and 7 we will find out exactly why JK killed off Sirius.

Harry becomes even more powerful in book 6.

In books 6 and 7 we will find out why Dumbledore trusts Snape.

We will find out what happened to Wormtail AKA Peter Pettigrew

More about the animosity between Snape and Sirius will be revealed in the last 2 books.

JK has said that giving away the form of Snape's boggart and patronus says too much.

We'll definitely find out what Snape's worst fear is, and it'll be important.

Hermione and Draco will NOT end up together in book 6 or 7.

We will find out what exactly Dudley saw when he looked at the dementors.

The reason Voldemort and Harry both didn't die when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, will be revealed.

We will see more of Draco's mother, Narcissa Malfoy, now that Lucius is busy.

We'll learn more about Harry's scar in the last 2 books.

Moaning Myrtle will make an appearance again, as will Tonks.

More about Voldemort's birth will be revealed, thus helping us understand why he is so evil.

Muggles begin to notice "more and more odd" occurrences in book 6, says JK.

The wizarding world is really at war in the sixth book.

Harry will tell his dearest friends about the prophesy after it sinks in to him.

We will learn more about Harry's relatives, including his grandparents (though JK says they aren't really important to the story)

We will find out what happened to Sirius's motorbike.

Book 6 will be shorter than the 5th book (or at least JK's 99% sure, but will not swear on her children's lives)

There will be no "new" nationalities of children at Hogwarts. Hogwarts is a British school, and JK says that adding foreigners for the sake of it is not in her plans.

During an interview, when JKR was asked in which Hogwarts room she'd like to be for 1 hour, she said it would be a room in which Harry has been before, but doesn't know its importance. Yet. (this could have happened in book 5, but we're unsure)

It's very important in the plot that Harry has his mother's eyes, and that her wand was very good for charms.

During an interview for Kids BBC, Victor Greensteet (reporter) asked Rowling if Harry would have a dragon for a pet. This is what she replied: "You can't tame a dragon, no matter what Hagrid thinks. It's simply impossible. So no. He has more common sense. He MAY have a different pet in the future, but for now, I won't say anything else". (This could have been buckbeak, but I'm sure we can expect more pets)

In the same interview for Kids BBC, the reporter asked J. K. if Harry had ever used the internet, and this is what she had to say: "No. They (the Dursleys) won't let him go near Dudley's computer, and Dudley is the only one who has a computer. They hit him if he gets too near to the keyboard. So the answer would be No. I use it a lot, but Harry doesn't. Wizards don't really need to go on the web. They have an even better way to find out what's happening in the outside world, which I think is a lot more fun than the Internet, but I'm going to keep quiet on this one."

The choice between what's right and what's easy will be a pillar of the plot in Harry's last 2 years at Hogwarts

Harry's parents' profession will be a big part of the plot.

Something HUGE will be revealed about Lily Potter.

Well?

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Easy Mac

I just finished reading it, and I can definitely say that...

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I just finished reading it, and I can definitely say that...

After ONE DAY!!!!

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Im off to get it....I will let you know by tomorrow night
Old 07-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #5
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Went to Borders and let me tell you:I've been to Kabul, Manila, and Los Angeles and that was the worst place I've been to!!! Went to Wal Mart and same thing, Finally I went to AAlbersons(food chain) and picked up a copy and was back in the car in 3 minutes.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #6
TLK
Pro Starter

I fold... :mucks cards:
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Damn, I did it again (bumped an Archived thread)
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...676#post838676

Here what was written in that thread

Well?

Bah. Trifles. She's conflating a lot of "book six and seven" stuff that will happen in book 7. I read this list a few days ago and I don't see anything on the list that really produced an "a-ha" reaction when the relevant parts were mentioned in book six.

She's done a heck of a job controlling the flow of spoilers in her interviews, I'll say that.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

My copy arrived at 7:15am this morning. Just started reading it
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I started reading around 10 this morning. Had a few interruptions, but finished around 6 tonight (apparently about an hour ago). Man this one is dark. All-around dark, not just dark "in spots." Anyway, now I really can't wait for book 7...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
In reviewing that list (which looks like it was from Mugglenet.com), a lot of that stuff will I guess be in book 7...

Or at least, be completely covered in book 7.

/tk
Old 07-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Just finished the book.

I will say that I just saw a possible spoiler (Which for the sake of those who have not finished the book I will not go into) that makes very good sense about who R.A.B is
Old 07-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, it seems very obvious who RAB is to me (having just finished the book myself).

As for the quotes at the top for spoilers...some of them appear here, some of them are still WTF's to me.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Disappointing. Don't want to say any spoilers, but other than the big plot twist, it seemed like it was basically just advancing the plot line enough to put everyone in position for the final book. Not as interesting as the last 2-3 books.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

I've never quite understood the mania-hype around this series. It's a good story, but its like the Beatles.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:48 AM   #15
Vince
Pro Starter

I enjoyed it -- not as much as I've enjoyed the previous books, but I enjoyed it.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Yeah, it seems very obvious who RAB is to me (having just finished the book myself).

As for the quotes at the top for spoilers...some of them appear here, some of them are still WTF's to me.

Ditto. Actually I have a feeling Mundungus will play a larger role in book 7 now, too, with regard to an item that was mentioned in book 5 and 6.

/tk
Old 07-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, POSSIBLE SPOILER.

What's going to happen to Draco??

/tk
Old 07-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #18
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Hoiw come the British versions cover is different from the american version?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #19
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Hoiw come the British versions cover is different from the american version?

That's pretty typical of books in general. In fact, among books by my author friends, I'm not aware of a single case that the American and British editions did have the same cover.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

In Britain, they are selling an "adult" cover version (simpler) and a "kid" cover version (the original Mary Grand Pre artwork). Maybe that's the difference?

/tk
Old 07-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #21
clintl
College Starter

They're still different (at least as shown on the US and UK Amazon sites).

I also see that the UK edition has a different publisher (Bloomsbury). This is also very typical of the publishing business, and probably the main reason for the different covers.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #22
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Im not sure how a few of these can be anwsered in book seven. Some of that stuff it total crap, and some of it was a lucky guess too...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Im not sure how a few of these can be anwsered in book seven. Some of that stuff it total crap, and some of it was a lucky guess too...
Be sure to check out my response in the "SPOILER" version of the HBP thread, I laid out a few of my ideas...(definitely has spoilers) http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...300#post839300

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 07-17-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:47 AM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I finished it tonight... Wow... great story. IMO, I'd place it with GoF as my 2nd fav (after PoA, and just above OotP). It was a great character advancing book and sets the scenes perfectly for the END.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #25
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Are there figures on how many copies the book sold?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Are there figures on how many copies the book sold?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/book...eut/index.html

8.9 million in the first 24 hours. Dear lord.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #27
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Merchandising!

Harry Potter the lunch box, Harry Potter the breakfast cereal.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #28
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Merchandising!

Harry Potter the lunch box, Harry Potter the breakfast cereal.

Harry Potter the flamethrower! The kiddie love this one!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM   #29
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/book...eut/index.html

8.9 million in the first 24 hours. Dear lord.
Too bad there isnt a statistical breakdown. Ie: copies sold per store, copies per store, sold/min etc.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 AM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I finally started reading this (after I read OotP again) and only up to where Potter is at the Burrow. I can't go to the *spoilers* thread yet but I'm trying to determine if I'm surprised or not that Snape is a Death Eater. But then again, it could be one of those double-double agents thing.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #31
Celeval
Pro Starter

Bucc - you will absolutely regret it if you go into the spoilers thread before the end of the book. Much of the discussion there centers around something that happens in the last 100 pages.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

True dat, but you know he can't resist!

That's why I avoided the internet until I finished

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-24-2005 at 03:19 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #33
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
True dat, but you know he can't resist!

That's why I avoided the internet until I finished

I finished at 4:30am, 3 1/2 hours after I bought it, so no worries there, mate. :-D
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jesus... did you even READ it?

It took me until Sunday night. I read it 3 hours after midnight, then probably 4-5+ hours Saturday day. And then 5 or so hours on Sunday. So I guess it took me... er.. 13-15 hours maybe.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's how long it's going to take me but insomuch I either play games, work on my collection or in the office all day long, I only get in 1-2 hours reading per night at best.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #36
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Unreal, just unreal
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #37
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, I just got to the halfway point (Christmas at the Burrow). There seems to be a couple of obvious connections that I'm surprised no one in the book brought up so far. They go at lengths talking about Voldemort's family and that clearly he is a half-blood. We just learned that the potions book is 50 yrs old so why is it not obvious to the characters to make that connection (esp. since Ginny early on made the connection to the diary)?The only other half-blood could be Snape, who fancies himself as a prince to his Lord. He is a potions master so he could have made some of the notes in Riddle's potion book. But they obviously wanted Potter to have the book, being unprepared and having a surprise teacher - so it is more education into the ways of Voldemort. I still don't know what to make of Dumbledore's trust in Snape except I keep thinking that Dumbledore knows about Snape so it's "keep your friends and your enemies closer".

As far as who dies, there is only 3 or 4 people close to Potter: Dumbledore, Ron, Hermy and probably Hagrid. Dumbledore could pull an Obi-Wan and prepare the way for the direct showdown. Hagrid has become marginalized and I don't think it's his two friends. That leaves a teacher, Snape, McGonnagal or whomever, which Potter is not close...or a Weasley. I think a Dumbledore death would be the only thing that would shake Potter to the core.

Too much overthinking...
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #38
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Ok, I just got to the halfway point (Christmas at the Burrow). There seems to be a couple of obvious connections that I'm surprised no one in the book brought up so far. They go at lengths talking about Voldemort's family and that clearly he is a half-blood. We just learned that the potions book is 50 yrs old so why is it not obvious to the characters to make that connection (esp. since Ginny early on made the connection to the diary)?The only other half-blood could be Snape, who fancies himself as a prince to his Lord. He is a potions master so he could have made some of the notes in Riddle's potion book. But they obviously wanted Potter to have the book, being unprepared and having a surprise teacher - so it is more education into the ways of Voldemort. I still don't know what to make of Dumbledore's trust in Snape except I keep thinking that Dumbledore knows about Snape so it's "keep your friends and your enemies closer".

As far as who dies, there is only 3 or 4 people close to Potter: Dumbledore, Ron, Hermy and probably Hagrid. Dumbledore could pull an Obi-Wan and prepare the way for the direct showdown. Hagrid has become marginalized and I don't think it's his two friends. That leaves a teacher, Snape, McGonnagal or whomever, which Potter is not close...or a Weasley. I think a Dumbledore death would be the only thing that would shake Potter to the core.

Too much overthinking...

You should have made this a dynasty.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 AM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!

And post statistical data as well .
Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #40
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

How many copies has the book sold thus far? 1 week post launch.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #41
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
How many copies has the book sold thus far? 1 week post launch.

I saw on a news report that it sold 6.9 million copies in the first 24 hours. Haven't seen anything beyond that though.

Edit: Just saw where they've printed another 2.7 million copies and sent them out (beyond the 10.8 million they started with). Still not sure how many have been sold though.

Last edited by Bee : 07-25-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote