Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
GFL
n00b

How does FOF compare to TPF

I am wondering since I love Total Pro Football but we are loosing people as the game is stalled out. so how does FOF compare to TPF?

GFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Welcome to the boards...

I think you will find that most people here think that the FOF game (in its 5th version, admittedly) is a more balanced and complete sim.

There are a few threads at this forum that get into some of the concerns with TPF...so you might find some more knowledgeable people than I on the matter with a search.

In general, FOF is not perfect (of course) but you have to get down to pretty minute areas to find serious holes in the game. Most players seem to find it about as rewarding as any sports sim available, with the possible exception of the Football (soccer) Manager series, which has gone through even more iterations to reach its mature stage.

Hope you enjoy the game -- at leats give the demo a look. It is not as "flashy" looking a game as TPF, but it's the insides that count, most would agree.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here is one thread with some discussion about Total Pro Football (essentially wondering if anyone still bothers to play it).

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=38528

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-21-2005 at 01:03 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

FOF is better. the sim engine is excellent. no major bugs on latest patch 5.1d. very solid game. realistic stats

TPF is more pretty and latest patch 1.43 that just came out recently by Arlie still has major bugs in it. Arlie said one day when he has time will revisited TPF 1.43 to fix rest of the bugs. overall not a bad game for a 2nd football sim to play.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I tried out TPF when it was announced but wasn't that impressed. It was basically trading out the best sim engine, stat provider, etc for a game that had a lot more eye candy. When I started playing TPF, there were aspects I liked that I wished were included in FOF, but the things that were missing from TPF in comparison to FOF outweighed that.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Hobbits
n00b

TPF is much more customizable... which initially compelled me to buy it... But something about it just wasn't fun. I didn't feel I had enough control over the gameplanning and the name of the plays were confusing. IMHO, FOF is a much better game.
Hobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

I feel that FOF has more depth to the results, things happen more for a reason while TPF IMO seems more random in it's results.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I found that I really liked the drafting experience in TPF much better, the whole feel of the draft was just more, well, fun. I haven't run into any real bugs with TPF, but there is lots of documentation illustrating their existence.

I'd honestly try the TPF demo, and see how you like it. The FOF demo is pretty much crap. You don't get to really experience the game in a real way. That said, remember that pretty much the concensus here, is that FOF is the better game. TPF is prettier and more presentable, but the stats generated by FOF are much more refined.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne

I'd honestly try the TPF demo, and see how you like it.

You didn't read the first post did you?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote