Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

JbMagic, you're letting me down here

Last night was a big reality TV night. We had "Hogan Knows Best" "Celebrity Fit Club 2" and "Surreal Life 5".

Hogan Knows Best was hilarious. A GPS on his daughter's car during her date was a bit excessive, but then when you think that she's 16 and the dude she's going out with is 22, it seems justified.

I caught part of Fit Club, but it won't be something I watch very much. I still have yet to see the new Surreal Life, but I know they'll replay it into the ground...

Also, I've seen two episodes of the show "30 Days" by Morgan Spurlock, who is known for documentary "Super Size Me". The first episode had a Christian man living as a Muslim for 30 days, and the latest one had a conservative, anti-gay marriage man living in the Castro for 30 Days. I'm really digging this show. Anyone else?

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i forgot about Hogan Knows best. it look pretty good. they preview it on Monday night Raw last week.

i guess time to setup my tivo on that show

i not sure about that celebrity fit club. i think Losers on NBC is better.

i didnt care about surreal life when it move to vh1.

i cant wait for the next episode of Big Brother 6.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-11-2005 at 02:00 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Oh...there was also "Princes Of Malibu". It was basically just a half hour of some rich guy yelling at his stepsons. Man, I watched a lot of TV last night

Last edited by Karlifornia : 07-11-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

that hulk hogan thing looks about as contrived as it can get
Old 07-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah the 30 Days show, while gimmicky, has been enjoyable, and somewhat thought provoking. Good for Spurlock. Hopefully it doesn't get axed.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My wife was glued to the TV for that stupid-ass Dancing with the Stars. I'll admit to watching a few of these reality shows, but that's one I'd have never watched a second of if the wife hadn't insisted. You want to talk about contrived - from what I saw, Kelly Monaco apparently did terrible the first episode, then slowly got better and made the finals. Her competition was J Peterman from Seinfeld who, quite frankly, was excellent. I don't know shit about dancing, but as far as performance and looks, he was clearly the best.

But once they jumped on the hot young girl/most improved story lines, they couldn't let it go. For the last dance, Peterman and his partner scored 3 "9s" and then, as though it was scripted, Monaco got 3 "10s" - the only 10s awarded the entire show. Last dance of the season, and awarded to the best story. And of course, she won. Even my wife was put off by how scripted the ending was. I'm just glad they weren't competing for something real.

Oh, and Evander Holyfield dances only slightly better than me. That he lasted longer than that Trista chick...yikes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
My wife was glued to the TV for that stupid-ass Dancing with the Stars. I'll admit to watching a few of these reality shows, but that's one I'd have never watched a second of if the wife hadn't insisted. You want to talk about contrived - from what I saw, Kelly Monaco apparently did terrible the first episode, then slowly got better and made the finals. Her competition was J Peterman from Seinfeld who, quite frankly, was excellent. I don't know shit about dancing, but as far as performance and looks, he was clearly the best.

But once they jumped on the hot young girl/most improved story lines, they couldn't let it go. For the last dance, Peterman and his partner scored 3 "9s" and then, as though it was scripted, Monaco got 3 "10s" - the only 10s awarded the entire show. Last dance of the season, and awarded to the best story. And of course, she won. Even my wife was put off by how scripted the ending was. I'm just glad they weren't competing for something real.

Oh, and Evander Holyfield dances only slightly better than me. That he lasted longer than that Trista chick...yikes.

Supposedly it was half judges and half audience vote. I didn't watch much after Evander was out though.

I did see The Soup feature the extremely long pause before the announcment of the winner.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Oh...there was also "Princes Of Malibu". It was basically just a half hour of some rich guy yelling at his stepsons. Man, I watched a lot of TV last night

"I've got a great idea - let's take the guy who writes all of the crappy songs you hear on the top 40 and give him a show. It'll be fantastic! He's got two spoiled rich sons. It'll be like Hilton-meets-Osbourne!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Supposedly it was half judges and half audience vote. I didn't watch much after Evander was out though.

I did see The Soup feature the extremely long pause before the announcment of the winner.

Well yeah, but the audience just followed the judges. And the voting was weird, because the audience (the people watching, not the people in the studio) voted after the last week's performance, but the couple didn't get kicked off until the end of the next week's episode. That was very strange.

The 3 10s shit was so staged, though, it was infuriating. I'm sure there were housewives everywhere who just loved it, though, and I guess that's all that matters.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Well yeah, but the audience just followed the judges. And the voting was weird, because the audience (the people watching, not the people in the studio) voted after the last week's performance, but the couple didn't get kicked off until the end of the next week's episode. That was very strange.

The 3 10s shit was so staged, though, it was infuriating. I'm sure there were housewives everywhere who just loved it, though, and I guess that's all that matters.

I would have thought the women would go for Peterman though. He's dashing.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #11
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Hell's Kitchen 2 hours tonight.

not a bad show so far.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Quote:
I would have thought the women would go for Peterman though. He's dashing.

But old. And he didn't have a great story, he just...was. Or, at least, the great story was an old one, since he was good from the beginning and became boring, even though he kept giving solid performances. In the world of reality TV, he couldn't stay in the spotlight for a whole 5 or 6 weeks. That's just too much attention span to ask of reality TV viewers.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter

My roommate lived in Malibu for 4 years and knows those guys fairly well. It was funny to hear him point out which ones were douchebags and why.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I thought Hogan was pretty good, and I admit I really enjoyed last season's Surreal Life so for tha treason aloen I am hoping this new cast can be up to par.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #15
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
that hulk hogan thing looks about as contrived as it can get

No, the Hulk Hogan thing isn't even 1/10 as contrived as the Malibu show. That show is staged from start to finished. It shouldn't even be billed as a "reality" show, because it is completely scripted. It was funny in a way, but you just have to count it as a sitcom with bad actors.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #16
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
No, the Hulk Hogan thing isn't even 1/10 as contrived as the Malibu show. That show is staged from start to finished. It shouldn't even be billed as a "reality" show, because it is completely scripted. It was funny in a way, but you just have to count it as a sitcom with bad actors.

I agree. It would've been pretty funny if it weren't so blatantly staged.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:29 AM   #17
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Just watched the 2nd episode of Hogan Knows Best. Hogan is uncomfortable with his son being interested in a girl his (the son's) age so he tries to hook him up with a model?

Hogan Rules!
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote