Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Here comes Emily

Tropical Deprpession 5 has formed in the Atlantic and is set to arrive in the Caribbean within 4 days or so. I've been dodging these things lately, but I know we're due for one here. Andrew was a long time ago.

ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Prepare for non stop CNN coverage!!!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Prepare for non stop CNN coverage!!!!!

I was just waiting for Anderson Cooper to get smacked in the head today by flying debris.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu
I was just waiting for Anderson Cooper to get smacked in the head today by flying debris.

That was some classic stuff. He looked like he was having fun, didn't he?
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The only moment I turned on CNN during this weekend, they were trying to go to a live feed from Rick Sanchez out in the weather. Unless you've lived in South Florida, you really can't understand what a monumental waste of a human Rick Sanchez is. He was the anchor for Fox 7 in Miami, one of the worst, over-the-top, fake-dramatic, people-are-dying-and-we-love-to-tell-you-about-it newscasts in the history of TV. I would get physically ill just watching them. I guess he thought he was so much better than just local news anchor, so he's hopped up to the big boys. If he's the direction CNN is headed, I guess it's a good thing I no longer watch. Imagine my delight when they couldn't get the satellite feed working and he looked like a dufus as they were trying to connect to him and he looke oblivious to it all.

Oh yeah, and he got drunk and ran over someone way back when, but got off pretty much scot-free. Another reason to hate that loser.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
That was some classic stuff. He looked like he was having fun, didn't he?

Someone called in on Larry King and asked what his wife thought. Of course, Anderson isn't married. However, his mother called and scolded him. His mother is Gloria Vanderbilt. Yes, that Gloria Vanderbilt.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Anderson Cooper's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt?!

Sheesh, does anyone get a high-profile job on merit these days?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Anderson Cooper's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt?!

Sheesh, does anyone get a high-profile job on merit these days?

Well, I think Anderson is one of the better anchors/reporters. I thought he was great on The Mole. He graduated from Yale with a BA in political science and studied Vietnamese at the University of Hanoi.

I'm sure mom had some pull, but he isn't a bad reporter. He could easily sit behind the anchor desk, but always seems to insist on going to the scene.

I love some of his quotes:

Quote:
"I've always loved reporting from the field most of all. There's something about doing live TV and being there as it happens that's always appealed to me. I think there's great value to bearing witness to these events as they're actually happening."

Quote:
"I am sort of drawn toward places in the world where there is struggle and conflict."

Quote:
"I very much do not want to become what I used to make fun of. The newscaster on 'The Simpsons' sadly is not that far off from what you see out there."
Old 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well, I think Anderson is one of the better anchors/reporters. I thought he was great on The Mole. He graduated from Yale with a BA in political science and studied Vietnamese at the University of Hanoi.

I'm sure mom had some pull, but he isn't a bad reporter. He could easily sit behind the anchor desk, but always seems to insist on going to the scene.

I love some of his quotes:

He really seem to be a likable guy. He wouldn't be a bad guy for CBS or ABC to look at as their future anchor.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
Ksyrup

He was on the Mole? As what, a contestant or the host? Never watched the show.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
He really seem to be a likable guy. He wouldn't be a bad guy for CBS or ABC to look at as their future anchor.

Agreed. He would make a great anchor. His tone and demeanor are wonderful.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #12
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
He was on the Mole? As what, a contestant or the host? Never watched the show.

Host for the first two seasons and than they brought in Ahmad Rashad.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Host for the first two seasons and than they brought in Ahmad Rashad.

Well, both the later seasons have been "Celebrity Mole" as well.

I'm also a Cooper Anderson fan. I thought he was great hosting the Mole (a very overlooked show), is a solid reporter. Also, I loved the interview he did with Blender a month or two back, the one where they have someone talk about 10-12 albums that fit various descriptions ("The Album I just don't get" "the album that makes me feel cool", etc).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #14
Loren
High School JV

Quote:

OMFG THATS where I knew him from the freakn MOLE...when we saw him on the "ramada sign incident" i insisted he was an anchor, and Cringe was like nooo, he's just a meteorologist, to which i argued NOOO goddammnit he's from something else too...anyways THANKS ....
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

He is the anchor of Anderson Cooper 360. Prior to joining CNN, he was the anchor of ABC World News Now, which I believe is ABC's overnight news program. So, yes, he is an anchor.

However, during a hurricane he will shift is role to that of reporter. Same for things like the tsunami and other disasters. His approach and style make him perfect for working out in the field. Along with Larry King, I think Anderson is one of the few who really brings it home.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
He is the anchor of Anderson Cooper 360. Prior to joining CNN, he was the anchor of ABC World News Now, which I believe is ABC's overnight news program. So, yes, he is an anchor.

However, during a hurricane he will shift is role to that of reporter. Same for things like the tsunami and other disasters. His approach and style make him perfect for working out in the field. Along with Larry King, I think Anderson is one of the few who really brings it home.

Que?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #17
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Que?

Huh. I mean, I think Larry King is one of the better journalists. He belongs on Fox, because he is "Fair & Balanced." Hahahaha.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

I miss the Mole.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #19
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Huh. I mean, I think Larry King is one of the better journalists. He belongs on Fox, because he is "Fair & Balanced." Hahahaha.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #20
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A journalist is "one whose occupation is journalism." A journalist is "a person who practices journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people."
Old 07-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #21
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
A journalist is "one whose occupation is journalism." A journalist is "a person who practices journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people."

And how exactly does that fit a senile old man throwing softball questions at celebrities and polititians alike? He's a PR rep, not a journalist.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #22
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

"gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people."

Larry King, by asking questions of his guests, is gathering and disseminating events about current events, trends, issues, and people.

What Larry King does is not much different than a roving reporter asking questions of people in the field. Only in King's case he is able to do the reporting from the comfort of his chair.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #23
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
I miss the Mole.

I **really** miss the mole. That was the wife and I's favorite reality show. We loved that show.
Bo Jackson's Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #24
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

How many here had Channel One in high school back in the early 1990s? I remember Cooper was one of the reporters on there. That outfit turned out a couple of other notables like Lisa Ling (who was on The View) and I want to say Serena Altschul, who I've seen on MTV in the not-to-distant past.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
How many here had Channel One in high school back in the early 1990s? I remember Cooper was one of the reporters on there. That outfit turned out a couple of other notables like Lisa Ling (who was on The View) and I want to say Serena Altschul, who I've seen on MTV in the not-to-distant past.

I remember Channel One, but I didn't remember Cooper until you just mentioned it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #26
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
I was watching CNN and I thought Cooper said ''The trees are moving!'' Jts apparent that Cooper needs to go out once in a while.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #27
Ksyrup

Back on-topic...this bitch is already up to 60 MPH. We're probably looking at another hurricane tomorrow. With 2 other waves behind it to watch.

What I'm worried about is the fact that we're leaving for Dallas on the 22nd, then to Hawaii on the 24th, and won't be back in Tally until August 1. Not good. And it's possible that Emily could cause us problems either leaving Tally, or leaving Dallas, depending on where it goes.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Don't worry about Dallas, K. The remains of hurricanes really don't produce anything more than moderate thunderstorms here...nothing that would create too much trouble for outbound flights.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-12-2005 at 10:16 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #29
Ksyrup

Well, that's good, because this will be the first time we've been away from either kid for more than like 2 days, and I'm not about to have it screwed up by the weather!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #30
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Back on-topic...this bitch is already up to 60 MPH. We're probably looking at another hurricane tomorrow. With 2 other waves behind it to watch.

And another wave just about ready to leave the coast of Africa. This one looks like it will head in the same direction of Dennis, so Texas should be spared. The city that needs to worry is New Orleans. That place is due.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #31
Ksyrup

Quote:
And another wave just about ready to leave the coast of Africa. This one looks like it will head in the same direction of Dennis, so Texas should be spared. The city that needs to worry is New Orleans. That place is due.

A lot can change, but right now, Emily is forecast to be far south of where Dennis was when it hit Cuba. In fact, right now, they have it hitting the Cancun/Cozumel area. If that happens, it would have to head due north or even curve back east to hit New Orleans/Pensacola.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Shhhhhhh!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #33
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

This has been a very unusual season. The Cape Verde area doesn't usually open for business until next month. Most storms during June and July get organized in the Caribbean or the Gulf.

As for NoLa, yeah, they are due, but they also seem to be in that magical spot that hurricanes can't seem to find. Being in the west-central Gulf, they usually just get weak storms that form only a few days before in the Gulf itself. The rolling freight trains-o'-death that come from the Atlantic are usually deflected before they reach NO's longitude. It really takes some luck in the atmospheric setup to have a killer storm hit that part of the gulf. Granted, this is small comfort to the good folks in Pensacola who got brutalized twice in ten months by Ivan and Dennis or the ones on Florida's east coast who got the two storms almost back-to-back last year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote