Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Stupidest. Lawsuit. Ever.

They might have been congratulated for their "green" efforts in an area of heavy air pollution.

Instead a group of French cleaning ladies who organised a car-pooling scheme to get to work are being taken to court by a coach company that accuses them of "an act of unfair and parasitical competition".

The women, who live in Moselle and work five days a week at European Union offices in Luxembourg, are being sued by Transports Schiocchet Excursions, which runs a service along the route. It wants the women fined and their cars confiscated.

Two years ago a business tribunal threw out the company's case. It is now pursuing the women in a higher court, saying their action has cost it €2 million ($3.2 million).

The women explained that for many years cleaners used the company line for the 40-minute ride across the border, which cost them €110 a month.

"Using our cars is quicker and at least twice as cheap. And on the bus we didn't have the right to eat or even to speak," said Martine Bourguignon.

Odette Friedmann added: "In the evening, instead of coming to get us at 9.30pm, the bus would arrive at 10.30pm. If you made any comment to the driver you'd get a mouthful of abuse."

The women's lawyer, Cécile Klein-Schmitt, said: "It's absurd and ridiculous. I don't see how any magistrate can find any legal basis for this case."

The court case will be heard in January.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Link?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
KevinNU7
College Starter

I'm confused, they are being sued because they car pool and the bus company wants each to drive individually if they aren't going to use the bus????

I think there's more to this story then the original post
Old 07-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think they are being sued so that they have to take the bus instead of driving themselves.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'd hazard a guess that they [the bus company] own some sort of franchise or license to perform mass transport services in the area... and their claim is that a group of people paying one another to perform similar services amounts to a sort of impromptu business competition that they are supposedly protected from by their franchise or license.

It's still a pretty weak claim, but I'd guess that's the basis of it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-12-2005 at 02:41 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
I'm confused, they are being sued because they car pool and the bus company wants each to drive individually if they aren't going to use the bus????

I think there's more to this story then the original post

Well...it is France afterall.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If they win, we are all doomed! Unless you ride busses already, in which case you are the enemy.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Link here, subscription or bug me not needed

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bus...?oneclick=true