Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
amdaily
College Prospect

How does Tim Burton continue to get work?

I saw an ad for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today and my jaw dropped in disbelief. What a way to screw up a movie I had good memories of. In my opinion, Tim Burton has not contributed anything of worth to moviemaking and how he continues to get work is beyond me.

amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
I saw an ad for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today and my jaw dropped in disbelief. What a way to screw up a movie I had good memories of. In my opinion, Tim Burton has not contributed anything of worth to moviemaking and how he continues to get work is beyond me.
You do realize this movie is based on the book, not Willy Wonka, which had very little to do with the book.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

Tim Burton made Mars Attack, for that alone he gets a free pass in my book.

Not sure how I think this movie will end up, I will give it a shot though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

How about Big Fish, Batman, A Nightmare befor Christmas. I heard Sleepy Hollow was pretty good as well.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
timmynausea
College Starter

Sleepy Hollow was good. It looks awesome.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Big Fish!! That movie was just wonderful. Tim Burton definetly gets a free pass in my book.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I've pretty much enjoyed Tim Burton's films so far.

But seeing trailors for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory makes me want to skip it. I already can not stand the voice Depp uses in the film. Is it me, or does it almost seem like Depp is trying hard to act like Jim Carey in the movie?

Last edited by sabotai : 06-30-2005 at 06:13 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Calis
College Starter

Lets not forget Ed Wood either.

The guy has made some very good flicks.

Then there's the remake of Planet of the Apes...
Old 06-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Edward Scissorhands is one of my favorite movies ever.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetle Juice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas are classics. That's why the man gets work.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Definitely looking forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it should be interesting and different, and it will be good to see someone going to the original source material of the books.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #13
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
But seeing trailors for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory makes me want to skip it. I already can not stand the voice Depp uses in the film. Is it me, or does it almost seem like Depp is trying hard to act like Jim Carey in the movie?

Agreed
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know the author of the book hated the Gene Wilder version, but I liked it. I thought Wilder was great in the flick.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #15
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Depp is a chameleon and perfect for the roll. Of course, I still think Gene Wilder played the part better. I think this will be a great flick.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #16
miked
College Starter

The original was a drug-induced extravaganza. What could be better?
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Tim Burton made Mars Attack, for that alone he gets a free pass in my book.

I still don't get that movie. I tried, I really tried, but it was one of the more boring movies I've seen in a LONG time.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #18
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

I still don't get that movie. I tried, I really tried, but it was one of the more boring movies I've seen in a LONG time.

Yeah I don't think you're alone in that respect. It's actually pretty bad. I said that very tongue in cheek, it's up there with Burton's lowest regarded movies I'm sure.

For some reason I just loved it when I saw it though. It's campy to the extreme, but it just clicked for me. Maybe because I've always thought the type of movie it was spoofing was so atrocious, I just loved it.

Course, I also saw it right when it came out and haven't seen it since. It might not hold up well.

I won't however argue that it's a great movie.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

I thought Sleepy Hollow was absolutely awful. Burton to me is very hit or miss - Batman was good, Ed Wood and Mars Attacks were good ... but Ed Scissorhands and Big Fish - what a waste of my time.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

I thought Big Fish was one of the best movies made in recent years.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #21
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah Big Fish is one of those really amazing movies, I saw it without knowing at all what to expect and it totally blew me away.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How does anyone think "Big Fish" was a 'waste of time'? One of the better films to be released in the last decade, at least.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
How does anyone think "Big Fish" was a 'waste of time'? One of the better films to be released in the last decade, at least.

Yeah. I think I'll be ignoring someone's opinions regarding movies. Just....wow.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #24
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

I dunno, I liked Mars Attacks! I like campy stuff like that. I also enjoy a movie that presents you with one loathsome character after another and then kindly kills them all off for you -- but in a fun way, not in a Very Bad Things way.

I guess I just like any movie where Joe Don Baker dies.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #25
Tara
Mascot

I loved Mars Attacks, and I liked Edward Scissorhands too. BTW I really don't know about this last one "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"...Telling the truth I don't know much about any other Tim Burton's film. I mean, could be possible that all the other fimls was garbage, but for what I've seen I like him.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #26
WrongWay
Banned

I think Charlie... will be another ....Apes remake dud. I think Burton just tried to hard to "Remake" Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Choclate factory will go along these lines. Sometimes I just think Butron tries to be just to original in his thinking. See his personal appearance for this one.

Also, I was blown over by Big Fish. Should of won the Oscar.

Speaking of Mars Attack, Has anyone seen the new video game that looks and Sounds exactly like Mars Attack. When I first saw the TV commercial for the game I thought it was Mars Attack.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #27
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Speaking of Mars Attack, Has anyone seen the new video game that looks and Sounds exactly like Mars Attack. When I first saw the TV commercial for the game I thought it was Mars Attack.

Yes...Destroy all Humans...There was a thread here about that some days ago...
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:11 AM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's not how the movie looks that makes me want to skip it.

It's the fact that Johnny Depp looks fucking creepy in this movie, like he's secretly waiting to devour the kids at the end of it, or something. I can't quite put my finger on why, but his appearance alone is enough to make me want to pass.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #29
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well keep in mind again that they're going back to the source book, where Wonka is much creepier than in the original movie. There was this news item from a while back on IMDB:

"Johnny Depp is eager to terrify young audiences with his "creepy" performance as Willy Wonka in his latest movie Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. Annasophia Robb, 11, who plays Violet in the Tim Burton movie, was impressed with the Hollywood actor's friendliness on set - but admits his Marilyn Manson-inspired onscreen performance was terrifying once cameras started rolling on the latest take on Roald Dahl's popular book. Robb says, "His character is very creepy from any other Willy Wonka you've seen. I'm not allowed to say very much about that movie."
Old 07-01-2005, 02:36 AM   #30
korme
Go Reds

Reading this thread I'm like "Isn't it Mars Attacks?" So I IMDb it and it is. I check out the cast and my beloved Natalie is in it.

Thank you for inadvertently inspiring me to see this.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #31
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Well keep in mind again that they're going back to the source book, where Wonka is much creepier than in the original movie.
I'm personally excited about this. I mean, I love the Wilder version, but when I started reading Dahl's children book--I realized how far from the source it was. Both Charlie books, The BFG, Matilda--all of these are really twisted and I think Burton/Depp is the combo to pull it off.

If you get the chance, read some of Dahls 'adult' writing too, v v good.

edit: The famed "Man from Rio" on the Alfred Hitchcock show (and remade in Four Rooms by Tarantino) is from one of Dahl's short stories.

Last edited by SelzShoes : 07-01-2005 at 08:35 AM.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #32
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Yeah I don't think you're alone in that respect. It's actually pretty bad. I said that very tongue in cheek, it's up there with Burton's lowest regarded movies I'm sure.

For some reason I just loved it when I saw it though. It's campy to the extreme, but it just clicked for me. Maybe because I've always thought the type of movie it was spoofing was so atrocious, I just loved it.

Course, I also saw it right when it came out and haven't seen it since. It might not hold up well.

I won't however argue that it's a great movie.

That I can understand. I actually liked both "Buckaroo Banzai" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes", so I can see how a movie can just strike a chord with you.

Maybe I need to change my sig to "Please pass the ketchup!"
Old 07-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #33
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I loved Big Fish. It's easily one of my favorites over the last five years.

My wife and I both loved the original C&TCF and we are mixed on our anticipation of the new one. She's not happy about the way it looks, while I'm cautiously optimistic. Although, I think Depp seems creepy in a Michael Jackson sort of way.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #34
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Should of won the Oscar.

ping: Quiksand!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #35
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dont forget Mr. Burton's work on

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #36
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Aside from the occasional popcorn flick, Burton is a very quirky filmmaker. Not all of his stuff will appeal to a broad cross section, and there will certainly be people who hate all of his movies.

I'm in the camp of people who hated the Wilder version. It was a horrible treatment of the book, IMHO. I'm also a marginal Wilder fan, and he was at his most annoying in that film to me. I'm not real crazy about the look of the Burton version because it just doesnt fit my vision of the book, but I think this is a book that is very difficult to fit the vision. Dahl created a fantastic world and really let the reader paint the picture.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #37
kingfc22
Head Coach

My first thought after seeing the trailer on Wednesday was FLOP! I just have a feeling this movie is going to bomb.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

Wilder gets a pass from me on any and all bad movies he made due to his work in Young Frankenstein.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #39
jander
n00b

Ok, I was not that big of a fan of the original, although my wife loves it. I really do not like Johnny Depp, but he does what he does well, and I agree seems a bit creepy. The other thing the post further up talks about Marilyn Manson type of character. I had heard before even reading that that Manson was one up for the part, but that seemed to far fetched anyways, did anybody else hear a rumor like that?

So, I am looking forward to checking it out, but I wouldn't mind going to the IMAX to check it out (since the trailer says in theatres and IMAX on July 15th).

I am still trying to get The Nightmare Before Christmas, I have watched it many times, it isn't bad but, I dunno I just don't get it.
jander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #40
Riggins44
High School JV

The guy gets an immediate ban from me for having Depp in more than one of his movies. You think he's bedding the guy?
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #41
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm not sure how you can have enough of Johnny Depp in your movies, he's one of the best actors working today.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #42
Riggins44
High School JV

Quote:
I'm not sure how you can have enough of Johnny Depp in your movies, he's one of the best actors working today.

He's yet to find his ideal role... prison cell bitch.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #43
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Word.

IMO, it's a toss-up between Depp and Ewen McGregor as to who is my favorite actor. Though if Jim Carrey can continue on his "Truman Show", "Man on the Moon", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" track, he's got a good shot to be at the top.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 AM   #44
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Word.

IMO, it's a toss-up between Depp and Ewen McGregor as to who is my favorite actor. Though if Jim Carrey can continue on his "Truman Show", "Man on the Moon", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" track, he's got a good shot to be at the top.

I notice you conveniently leave out "The Majestic" from that list
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 AM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why would "The Majestic" be on the same track? He did well in it, but nothing like his performance in the three movies I mentioned.