Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Changing The Game of Tennis

If you could change anything about tennis to make it more interesting or whatever, what would it be?

I've been reading some interesting things about of late and it's prompted some interesting discussions on the subject, that I'd never heard about prior to stumbling upon them the other day.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

sharapova vs kournikova. no one else allowed to play.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Classic.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

nothing's wrong with tennis. why change a wonderful game?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wait until the Steroids Sisters retire?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

I wouldn't change the game itself. I'd change the way it's marketed. Tennis, like most individual competition sports, needs strong personalities and storylines to be able to survive.

And that's just not being manufactured as well as it could be in the pro tennis world. I long for the days of John McEnroe.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Tennis is fine the way it is.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
nothing's wrong with tennis. why change a wonderful game?

Oh, I agree. I was just asking. There were some fairly radical things I'd been reading about.

From the way its scored, to men's matches being too long, to getting rid of lets, 2nd serves, ad scoring and other such things.

Just wanted to see what the consensus was.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

More grunting?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Ragone
Pro Rookie

clothing banned from women tennis!
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #11
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Play it in the middle of winter, with skates, and instead of tennis rackets use long wooden sticks. Oh and a hard rubber disk we'll call a "puck" instead of tennis balls. Maybe add some more players on there. Break the net into two pieces (henceforth called a "goal"), and put it at opposite ends of the frozen tennis court, which we shall call a "rink".

Damn...I'm on to something here.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #12
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Sadly, that'll never work.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #13
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
More grunting?
Agreed! Also more numerous grunting.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
sharapova vs kournikova, naked. no one else allowed to play.

Fixed that for you.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #15
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Ahem......... Lindsay Davenport, Amelie Mauresmo, The Williams sisters, etc.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:05 AM   #16
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I wouldn't change the game itself. I'd change the way it's marketed. Tennis, like most individual competition sports, needs strong personalities and storylines to be able to survive.

And that's just not being manufactured as well as it could be in the pro tennis world. I long for the days of John McEnroe.

So tennis should hire better writers and louder jerks? Individual sports don't have the same appeal until you put one country vs. another. No one cares about track & field, gymnastics or swimming until the we can say the rest of the world sucks because our guy got the gold. Even then, a lot of people only care about the medal count...

If they want me to watch tennis, they will have to prove I may see something I'll never have a chance to see again. That's why I watch football, and knuckleball pitchers. Honestly, less clothing would not do it for me, we all understand good naked and naked right?
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:09 AM   #17
timmynausea
College Starter

Tennis can stay the same. How about they just don't show it on tv or mention it in the newspapers now? Maybe pack the whole thing up and move it to Canada. That's a real nice sport. They can keep that.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:19 AM   #18
3ric
College Starter

Slower balls. I can't stand the current serve-and-volley game.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:54 AM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

Less powerful rackets
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The two sports I love to play the most, baseball and tennis, are the two I enjoy watching least as a spectator. I'll watch the last couple days of a major, but other than that I rarely pay any attention to it. That being said I wouldn't change it, I think its a great sport to play, and the way the scoring system is now, whole matches can swing on a couple big points. Lots of fun.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #21
andy m
High School Varsity

make it illegal to be shown on tv.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

land mines

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:47 AM   #23
vtbub
College Starter

wooden rackets

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #24
JimboJ
High School Varsity

People waving long balloons on the other side of the court while the player is trying to serve.

I've always found it funny the contrast between sports like basketball, where they go out of their way to distract the other team when they're trying to shoot free-throws (balloons, yelling and screaming), and the more "civilized" sports like tennis and golf, where you aren't supposed to make a peep while the players are performing.

Seriously, I think tennis needs to lighten up a little bit and get the crowd more involved in the game. Maybe not to the point of handing out balloons, but just try to make the game a little less stuffy and more appealing to the masses.

Last edited by JimboJ : 07-03-2005 at 09:39 AM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #25
weinstein7
High School JV

Clone Roger Federer?
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #26
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I agree with some of the suggestions above. I just watched the last couple of games between Roddick and Federer and again, that's not tennis - that's just one power serve after another. Ugh. It's like making a rule in baseball that the only way to score a run is to hit a HR. Slower balls, smaller racket heads or whatever needs to bring back finesse to the men's game.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

"Tennis With The Stars"?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
Clone Roger Federer?

gah, no, one roger is more than enough. Amazing player, superior talent all around, but I just can't watch him play for more than 20 minutes without getting annoyed.

And for those who wanted to put davenport muresemo and the WILLIAMS sisters alongside the likes of Sharapova? what are you thinking? those other girls can play, but think of our eyes man, they can't reach the same ladder as Sharapova on the looks side of things =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Ahem......... Lindsay Davenport, Amelie Mauresmo, The Williams sisters, etc.

I think you missed the point of my post.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #30
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
gah, no, one roger is more than enough. Amazing player, superior talent all around, but I just can't watch him play for more than 20 minutes without getting annoyed.

Well, perhaps clone Federer's talent into a more interesting person.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #31
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I agree with some of the suggestions above. I just watched the last couple of games between Roddick and Federer and again, that's not tennis - that's just one power serve after another. Ugh. It's like making a rule in baseball that the only way to score a run is to hit a HR. Slower balls, smaller racket heads or whatever needs to bring back finesse to the men's game.

That's what I was getting at with my less powerful racket suggestion. Something needs to be done so that we return to the days of epic points.

I also think the male sport lacks any interesting personalities, and has for years. More hot heads and malcontents would be nice.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #32
DanGarion
Coordinator

Andy Riddick, what more do you need?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #33
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The only change that would interest me would be rules changing the strength of the racket or changing the ball to make it slower. Eliminating lets, ad scoring and other changes have always been talked about, but none of them are really a problem.

I agree with several others above -- men's tennis has become a constant bore for me since it is almost nothing but serving now. Wimbledon use to be a hoot because there was so much serve and volley and net play. But during one of the broadcast earlier this week they showed a graphic of what the grass on centre court looked like at the same point in the tournament a few years ago. Well into the second week this year the grass inthe middle of the court was pristine, whereas it used to be worn bare from net play.

Women's tennis is still the best game in town, although even it gets too powerful at times too. But yesterday's final is what tennis should be like, not the snooze fest Federer put on this morning. Nothing against Federer because he's a great hitter, but he's certainly not an all-around great player -- you don't have to be in the men's game today. All you need is a serve and baseline play.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #34
3ric
College Starter

Not one men's final in 10 years has come close to match the intensity of the classic Wimbledon final of 1980. Bjorn Borg vs John McEnroe - 1-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-7 (16-18), 8-6. That fourth set tie-break lasted 22 minutes and McEnroe saved seven match points. Restore a little of that and men's tennis stand a chance of being interesting again.

Last edited by 3ric : 07-03-2005 at 04:07 PM. Reason: f**king spelling
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #35
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Andy Riddick, what more do you need?

Andy Roddick dates hot women, but I don't find watching him play tennis particularly enjoyable. Give me some crazy eastern european hot head with a wooden racket.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #36
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Tennis is fine the way it is.

You're on to something here.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #37
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
You're on to something here.

Coming from posters that were still sucking their thumbs and shittin' in their britches in the 1980s, that makes sense.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:19 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Well, I obviously didn't get the luxury to be able to watch the greats in their hay days, only ESPN Classic specials, I might catch an old match. I was particularly agreeing with CHEM on the fact that all of the rules in the game, to me, are fine. I wasn't taking into account the type of players currently playing (stronger) as opposed to the old school.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
The two sports I love to play the most, baseball and tennis, are the two I enjoy watching least as a spectator. I'll watch the last couple days of a major, but other than that I rarely pay any attention to it. That being said I wouldn't change it, I think its a great sport to play, and the way the scoring system is now, whole matches can swing on a couple big points. Lots of fun.

I'm with you on this. I love those two the most and I'm with you. I never watch much tennis, but I've played and coached the sport for a long time now.

But I just don't get much pleasure watching it.

Anyway, here's an "alternative" to the tennis rules that's interesting to ponder at worst.

Modern Tennis

Quote:
Moderno is played on a regulation tennis court. But there are several distinct differences between it and other forms of tennis.

SCORING
  • Each set is comprised of points. Rather than conventional 15-30-40, tennis scoring, modern tennis plays on cumulative points. Each match is 3 sets in length, with each set lasting until one players scores 24 points. The player with the most points at the end of 3 sets, wins the match. If the match is tied at the end of three sets, the players will play a sudden-death set, with the first player reaching 13 points winning the tiebreaker and the match.

• At 23-square, you can’t lose the match on a service fault. Meaning that if a player faults, the opposing player receives the 24th point, but play continues with service automatically reverting to the non-serving player from the previous point. Meanwhile, the match is now played to 24 (or the next number in sequence if it happens again) At 24-square, service alternates between the players until someone prevails.

• Cumulative Scoring
  • : The player with the most points at the end of three sets, is the winner of the match - not the player who wins 2 out of 3 sets, as all three sets are played regardless of the score.

SERVE
  • No lets: The ball is played off the net regardless. If the serve goes into the service box off the net, the point is played like a normal point. If it goes out of the box on the serve, the point is awarded to the opposing player.

• Only 1 serve: Players are not afforded the ability to double fault. Players get one serve per point. If they fault, the point is awarded to the opposing player.

• Serve/Changeover:
  • Players alternate serving every six points. Changeovers occur every 12 points.
  • Servers chooses service direction:
  • The serving player decides which service box they will serve to. Players in modern tennis serve the ball directly to the service box on the opposite side of the service court, rather than at the box diagonal to it as in regular tennis.

COURT SIZE
  • The alleys are in:
  • Modern Tennis singles matches use the "doubles" alleys are part of the regular court of play. The alleys are not part of the service area on serve.

ACTION
  • Fans are part of the game!
  • In moderno, fans can cheer, heckle, and otherwise act like fans at sporting events do. This changes the complexion of the event, as it requires players to focus and to remain unrattled.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-03-2005 at 08:19 PM.
    Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #40
    ice4277
    Pro Rookie

It kinda sounds like table tennis on a regular tennis court. Might be fun to play every once and a while.
    ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #41
    Young Drachma
    Dark Cloud

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ice4277
    It kinda sounds like table tennis on a regular tennis court. Might be fun to play every once and a while.

Interesting. I didn't know that, but that makes sense. I played it the other day and it's weird at first (especially serving straight ahead rather than diagonally..it's harder) but it's pretty fun once you get going.
    Old 07-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #42
    Karlifornia
    Grizzled Veteran

Here are some rules ideas that I think would gain the average Joe viewer:

-If you hit a softy lob that's going to be a guaranteed smash-winner for the opponent, you are allowed to chuck your racket at the opposition while the ball is in flight.

-The ball boys/girls stay on the court during the points and are in play.

-After every point scored, player gets to run to a microphone at center court and bellow a "Signature Catchphrase" eg.: If Roger Federer scores an ace, he could say "You were just served a nice helping of ASSFUCK!"

-Roller Skates

-For every wrong call, the linesman must remove one article of clothing.