Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I hate computers.

Ok, so this is the story. The guys of the Imperial League should know some if not all of it.

My laptop started giving me problems a little while ago. The power jack (where you plug the cord into) started acting up and not getting a good connection, so it wouldn't charge or run off of AC. I finally noticed that the screw on the bottom that goes right in that corner was missing, which made things a little loser tere then they should have been. I took another screw to replace it, problem fixed.

Or so I thought.

I guess the connection inside got screwed up because of that screw being out, and two weeks ago I started having problems. Last week it got real bad I could barely get the laptop on at all because I couldn't get power to it. As of now, it is useless. Warranty expired a while ago, so not sure what I am going to do. I can get an extended warranty still, so I may go that way. It might be cheaper.

Anyways, I have a FOF league to run right? So I start planning out setting up everything on the home PC for this weekend. Well, that died right after I got home Friday night. Loren went to reinstall a program, and when it went to reboot the system, it wouldn't go back into windows. We have tried safe modes, changing things in the boot up. Nothing, it just shuts down on its own.

So now we are looking at having to reformat the main PC, as soon as those disks are found. I am now down to a 5-6 year old laptop that has some problems. If this thing goes it is onto the computer in the kids room. Not sure how old that one is but it has to be around 7 years. I know it runs on Windows 98....

Good times.

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

computerz r teh coolest!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

for what it's worth Cringer I had the same problem with my old laptop a while back and I was basically told to send it to the manufacturer for repairs. They said they would take it apart, and if it was a problem that they determined was not user-caused they would pay for it, but if not the most I'd pay was $100.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

for the desktop, have you tried running chkdsk? sounds like it might be a bad boot sector. Or will it boot from the Win98 CD so that you can repair the boot sector?
Old 07-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Cringer : I would bet that the solder connection is broken on the Mainboard. This is a very simple fix. If you are handy with a soldering iron, or know someone that is, you should be able to fix this no problem. The only difficult thing will be taking the laptop apart and putting it back together.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 07-03-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Cringer : I would bet that the solder connection is broken on the Mainboard. This is a very simple fix. If you are handy with a soldering iron, or know someone that is, you should be able to fix this no problem. The only difficult thing will be taking the laptop apart and putting it back together.

Haven't used a soldering iron since hidh school. And yes taking it about is a pain, I have tried. I have removed all the screws visible, but something in the center is still holding the two havles together, I am not sure what it is though. I do know that it is not just the connection though. Threw the small space I can make from taking out all the screws, I can see that the plastic is broken in half inside, so that the pin falls back out of the hole when I take it apart like that. I am sure the solder is broken to though like you said.

DaddyTorgo: The PC with the boot problem is running XP. Loren is currently trying to find the disks though, so I do not know yet if it will boot up like that...
Old 07-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. motherboards have that solder problem with the power plug fairly often it seems. It's an easy fix for you to do, or you can send it back to the manufacturer or pay someone in a computer repair shop to do it i'd think.

as for the desktop, hopefully running some of the XP utilities off the disk will help to correct what seems likely to be a problem in the boot sector i would GUESS.