WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Why are my fullbacks such idiots?

Any clarification would be helpful. THANKS

Ha. I wish I had a fullback problem. My center backs are morons. They think it's good stuff to go doubleteam an attacker on the either wing so that opposing midfielders can have a free run into the box. I'm guessing they hope the vast quantities of open space simply confuse the opponent, causing a mental breakdown.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

But, is your keeper possessed of the uncanny ability to successfully pass straight to the opposition on every goal kick?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Yeah, I hear ya.

Then there's my striker, who has the finishing accuracy of a blunderbuss. These beautiful crosses come in from the wingers, I rise from chair in expectation of a goal...and the guy misses by a zillion yards. "He should of scored...it was easy!" Yeah, THANKS FOR THAT!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Why are my fullbacks such idiots?

Any clarification would be helpful. THANKS

Have you checked their Solecismic scores? I find that if they're too low they'll miss all kinds of key run block opportunities.

Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
But, is your keeper possessed of the uncanny ability to successfully pass straight to the opposition on every goal kick?
*grumble*

That's still one of my biggest complaints. Goal kicks consistently air-mail a scoring opportunity to the opponent.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

In real life when you're playing at school all the good players get to be midfielders or forwards. The defence is where you put all the fat kids, the kids with terrible eyesight, and the terminally unathletic. After a few bad games the coach will say "this kid is remarkably bad, stick him out at fullback where he can do less damage".

So the reason they are hopeless is that fullbacks are the ones who were too bad at soccer to play anywhere else, but weren't tall enough to become goalkeepers.

I feel your pain though. In my game I've got a rightback who is an international player, has good ratings, has about 17 for "positioning", but still seems to spend 85 out of the 90 minutes running about like a headless chicken leaving acres of space for the opposition wingers to exploit.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
Huckleberry
College Starter

Been there. I once had a stretch where my striker(s) were getting wonderful service from the wings as well as my MC or AMC but screwing it up every time. I went with a 5-5-0 formation for one game and convinced myself I was sending a message to the little colored circles on my screen. I just had two AMCs and set them all the way up on every attacking option. Didn't last long, but my strikers better not think I won't do it again.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I feel your pain though. In my game I've got a rightback who is an international player, has good ratings, has about 17 for "positioning", but still seems to spend 85 out of the 90 minutes running about like a headless chicken leaving acres of space for the opposition wingers to exploit.
LOL

Yeah, don't you love the 2-D match view when the defenders just seem to scurry out of the way of the opposing attackers? "Sorry...am I in your way? Let me go over HERE, where there's no one to bother."

I realize they are missing tackles or are getting deked or outmaneuvered, but sometimes they look pretty silly from up top.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Oh, and I need to file a medical claim against SI. My lame-ass keeper actually stopped a penalty shot and I fell out of my chair, thus injuring myself. Badly. Ow.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, and I need to file a medical claim against SI. My lame-ass keeper actually stopped a penalty shot and I fell out of my chair, thus injuring myself. Badly. Ow.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Anyone know how to properly "rest" a player? I keep trying to rest some guys, but they keep getting "need in rest" again. Anyone got any brief dynasty stories/updates?

I'm trying to keep Wigan in the Championship playoff picture in year one, and my star striker (Championship goal leader) Nathan Ellington wants to move is very unhappy. However, valued at $6.2 million right now, I want something in that area code for him. Best offers so far have near around $4.5 million. Got one more year left on his deal, and I would like to move him and get someone alittle younger, faster and more "Premiership" material. I landed 19-year-old Zhou Habin from China, this kid is simply amazing.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Koryo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Anyone know how to properly "rest" a player? I keep trying to rest some guys, but they keep getting "need in rest" again. Anyone got any brief dynasty stories/updates?

I'm trying to keep Wigan in the Championship playoff picture in year one, and my star striker (Championship goal leader) Nathan Ellington wants to move is very unhappy. However, valued at $6.2 million right now, I want something in that area code for him. Best offers so far have near around $4.5 million. Got one more year left on his deal, and I would like to move him and get someone alittle younger, faster and more "Premiership" material. I landed 19-year-old Zhou Habin from China, this kid is simply amazing.

If your physio is the one requesting that they need rest then you need to sit them for a while. I will wait until they hit 100% fitness before starting them again and avoid starting players who are less than 95% fitness in general.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryo
If your physio is the one requesting that they need rest then you need to sit them for a while. I will wait until they hit 100% fitness before starting them again and avoid starting players who are less than 95% fitness in general.

By fitness, you mean "condition" correct?

Thanks. I sat my two players, and went out on the loan market to bring some premier reserve talent for 3 months. We got a streak going, should be a great last 10 games.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I generally sit them and only play them if they are close to 100% again. If it is really bad, I will also significantly lighten their training schedule.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #16
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

There was another thread that talked about this. I believe the conlusion was that once they start getting the 'Need Rest', they'll pretty much have it for the rest of the season. The best you can do is play them when they get to 100%, but you'll probably get the needs rest after every match they play. Next season, try to rest them periodically.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
*grumble*

That's still one of my biggest complaints. Goal kicks consistently air-mail a scoring opportunity to the opponent.

Upgrade. This was fixed in a patch ... either that, or your goalie sucks.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #18
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Upgrade. This was fixed in a patch ... either that, or your goalie sucks.
I've upgraded to the 5.05 version.

I've also got the goalie setting to "defense collect" or whatever that is. The goalies (even the very good one I've got on loan) still kick it right down the middle 95% of the time, seemingly without concern for where his own teammates are.

Is it possible I'm not setting something else correctly?

By the way, I wanted to kill a center-back this morning. We'd evened a match at 2-2 with a glorious counter-attack goal in the 85th minute...which we never seem to do (late rallies).

But then here comes Scarborough. Their attacking midfielder waltzes right in, as I scream "#10! #10! Sutton, that's you! Pick him up!" I can almost see his little head pivoting - as if to say: "Look, an opposing player with the ball, how nice" - but his feet are frozen to the turf like a tongue on an icy flag pole. At point blank range, my goalie has no chance. They score in the 90th minute and we lose, 3-2.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

How is the heading on your midfielders and forwards? Is the ball getting kicked straight to the opponent, or are your guys getting outjumped?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #20
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
How is the heading on your midfielders and forwards? Is the ball getting kicked straight to the opponent, or are your guys getting outjumped?
Mainly kicked straight to the opponent. I can understand the out-jumping thing, but it's frustrating when I've got obviously unmarked guys available and they are ignored.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #21
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Yeah, my keeper kicks it right to their central midfielders ALL the time. They are positioned right between my middies and my fowards, but the stupid keeper can't seem to kick it to my lads. Oh, and why do my AMC and DR switch spots for 10-15 minutes a game? All they manage to do is suck it up at the other position. Idiots!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #22
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I've upgraded to the 5.05 version.

I've also got the goalie setting to "defense collect" or whatever that is. The goalies (even the very good one I've got on loan) still kick it right down the middle 95% of the time, seemingly without concern for where his own teammates are.

Weird. My goal keepers always kick it towards a man (although I often lose the headers). It must be an attribute that affects it. How's your GK rating for passing?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Had the most bizarre thing last night. Apparently, at some point, I wasn't paying attention and set the tactics wrong on my backup keeper.

I gave him the start one game, and in the midst of a corner (a corner against my opponent)...homeboy SPRINTS forward, across the entire field, to join in the action. 10 seconds later, his punk ass is hauling ass all the way back to goal. I went to check tactics, sure enough, he's set at like...all-out offense. Heh.

We did pull a huge draw last night as well, though. Came back from a 3-0 deficit. Scored the equalizer in the 91st minute, as my stud AMC drilled one from 25 yards.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #24
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Had the most bizarre thing last night. Apparently, at some point, I wasn't paying attention and set the tactics wrong on my backup keeper.

I gave him the start one game, and in the midst of a corner (a corner against my opponent)...homeboy SPRINTS forward, across the entire field, to join in the action. 10 seconds later, his punk ass is hauling ass all the way back to goal. I went to check tactics, sure enough, he's set at like...all-out offense. Heh.

We did pull a huge draw last night as well, though. Came back from a 3-0 deficit. Scored the equalizer in the 91st minute, as my stud AMC drilled one from 25 yards.

well... the keeper coming forward i've seen before... particularly on corners at the other end..

now, i've seen the opponent's keeper come to join the attack, and one of my players scored on an 80 yd strike.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #25
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
That's a good one! Reminds me of something that happened in a friendly awhile back. There was a big traffic-jam right in front of the opponents' goal, and in the midst of the action all of a sudden their goalie just BAILS on it, fleeing to the side. Sort of like, "RUNAWAY!!!" We tapped in an easy one at that point.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
That's a good one! Reminds me of something that happened in a friendly awhile back. There was a big traffic-jam right in front of the opponents' goal, and in the midst of the action all of a sudden their goalie just BAILS on it, fleeing to the side. Sort of like, "RUNAWAY!!!" We tapped in an easy one at that point.

Obviously one of the players down there farted.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #27
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
setting to "defense collect" or whatever that is. The goalies (even the very good one I've got on loan) still kick it right down the middle 95% of the time, seemingly without concern for where his own teammates are.

Are you watching Key Highlights? Check your goalie stats, in case he's actually doing much better - but the ones he gives away are highlighted, and one the ones he's doing right are just boring.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote