Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Question OT: Sinus Surgery-Anybody had it?

No, it's not me that is going to have sinus surgery. My sister, for years having a problem of chronically small sinuses, is going to get hers expanded on Friday. I think she's also getting a few other things fixed (like a deviated septum), and all in all, I was just wondering if anybody else out here has ever had that surgery. If yes, did it work? And, how long were you hurting for?

The family is somewhat eased by the fact that the ENT who will be doing her surgery is the same guy who took out my tonsils, and he's really good. He's told her that she'll probably hurt for the first day, and then be more or less fine. This is the same guy that told me, when we decided my tonsils needed to come out, that he was sorry, because it would hurt like hell (and boy was he right! I could barely swallow for 3 weeks after the surgery, anytime I did swallow, my ears burned, too, and needless to say, from lack of eating for those 3 weeks, I dropped 15 pounds...). I suppose his frank honesty to me when he said it'd hurt like hell leads the family to trust him about her only being in pain for a day or so, but again, was wondering if anybody else out there had any experience with effectively getting their sinuses roto-rootered?

Thanks.
/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
wbatl1
High School Varsity

What in the world is a deviated septum?

On topic, I have no Idea. Sorry.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The septum is the thingie in your nose that is in the middle of the two nostrils. A deviated septum is when it's either got a kink or a larger side, so effectively one of the nostrils is smaller. FWIW, I too have a deviated septum which the ENT suggested I get fixed, but I declined. The tonsillectomy was enough for me...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

If its like deviated septum, it is painful obviously for the next few days. My older brother dislocated his nose during a hockey game, and continued to play, and then tried to reset it himself. Unfortunately he did not succeed, and was taken to the hospital because if he had let it set the way he had it, it was going to cause major breathing problems. I remember him coming back all black and blue and bleeding (coughing up blood) for a week I think. He had these huge gauze pads in his nose too. It looked very uncomfortable but the end result was worth it.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

tk, I had this deviated septum thingie fixed when I was 17 or so, but they also did take my tonsils out at the time. Thing is, I don't remember it hurting all that much, honestly.

The one thing I remember is that they put some cotton up your nose and I had to go back a few days after the surgery to get it removed and that did hurt like hell, only for a moment, but still. Felt like they were pulling my eyes back in and through my nose. Turns out them cottom thingies were pretty long... Other than that, I don't remember it being that much painful... Nothing like that maxilo I had

FM
Old 06-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

A friend of mine had that surgery to correct a snoring problem. His eyes were black and blue for a while, but it worked.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
A friend of mine had that surgery to correct a snoring problem. His eyes were black and blue for a while, but it worked.

So you guys are really happy now?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote