Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #651
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think this is pretty telling, both of the atmosphere in the organization and also of the character of troy brown. probably figures he has one last year in him, wants to retire a patriot, and doesn't want to do one of those "sign a one day contract" type things, wants to only play for one team. The guy already has plenty of money to take care of himself and his family and I'm sure he's been smart with it, so it's not like he needs the money or the role on the team. Besides with all the young receivers the Pats have he probably figures to see at least a little bit of action, and also to be a great mentor...possibly grooming him for a post-playing role in the organization (OC after next year maybe?)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:49 AM   #652
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i think this is pretty telling, both of the atmosphere in the organization and also of the character of troy brown. probably figures he has one last year in him, wants to retire a patriot, and doesn't want to do one of those "sign a one day contract" type things, wants to only play for one team. The guy already has plenty of money to take care of himself and his family and I'm sure he's been smart with it, so it's not like he needs the money or the role on the team. Besides with all the young receivers the Pats have he probably figures to see at least a little bit of action, and also to be a great mentor...possibly grooming him for a post-playing role in the organization (OC after next year maybe?)

This is a good point.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #653
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
I missed something. Where's the fire? Why did he have to go?

He was in Denny Green's doghouse. Not sure why, I always thought he was a good player.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #654
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I see that Troy Brown resigned with the Pats. I like that

FM
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #655
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I see that Troy Brown resigned with the Pats. I like that

FM

It's a nice story but mostly ceremonial.

He'll be WR #4 at best.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #656
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
It's a nice story but mostly ceremonial.

He'll be WR #4 at best.
yeah, I know that, still, I like that, the fact they're bringing him back, I never expected him to be #1 again...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-23-2005 at 02:13 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #657
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

The Viking just picked up Paul Edinger who was released by the Bears a couple of days ago. Damn, how does that feel? No details on the contract yet, but I'm sure it's a small deal.

I like the signing though. A change in atmosphere may do wonders in getting his confidence back. The Vikes signed him to an offer sheet (which the Bears matched) and it sounds like he's glad to be going to a team that had faith in him before. I'm not sure what his history is on turf, but it seems like he's the type of kicker that would have more of an advantage on it than other kickers would.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #658
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
The Viking just picked up Paul Edinger who was released by the Bears a couple of days ago. Damn, how does that feel? No details on the contract yet, but I'm sure it's a small deal.

I like the signing though. A change in atmosphere may do wonders in getting his confidence back. The Vikes signed him to an offer sheet (which the Bears matched) and it sounds like he's glad to be going to a team that had faith in him before. I'm not sure what his history is on turf, but it seems like he's the type of kicker that would have more of an advantage on it than other kickers would.

It will be nice to have a couple young guys competing in camp, but I doubt that Edinger will make the final roster. At this point I'll be surprised if Aaron Elling isn't the Vikings kicker next season
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #659
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Seahawks release WR Koren Robinson and CB Bobby Taylor
Chiefs release WR Johnny Morton

Pats waived QB Chris Redman
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #660
General Mike
Pro Starter

Chris Redman is still in the NFL? who woulda knew.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #661
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Browns sign OT L.J. Shelton.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #662
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Browns sign OT L.J. Shelton.

Wow, at least they finally have a somewhat ok OL this year. Defense will be ugly but no more 2 yards of total offense
Old 06-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #663
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Redskins release RB/KR Chad Morton

Cowboys sign S Izell Reese.

Last edited by TazFTW : 06-04-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 AM   #664
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Patriots sign S Antuan Edwards

Rams release OT Kyle Turley

Redskins sign WR Kevin Dyson

Cardinals sign FB Harold Morrow
Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #665
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Wow, ex-pro bowl RT with LT ability being released. What a head case.

I didn't have a problem with the way he left N.O. really. The whole helmet throwing thing. I really value discipline in players, but having said that, I could go with the protecting the QB line of thinking. It was the last game of a lost season as well.

This whole bull crap thing he has running with Martz I didn't follow, and just don't get. Sounds just stupid. Anybody have a little refresher article on it or something? Is this a case of flushing a turd, or a coach & player just fatefully mismatched?
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #666
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown
Wow, ex-pro bowl RT with LT ability being released. What a head case.

i dont think he has a spine anymore. apparently it is missing (not saying he's spineless, im saying he literally has no back).
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:02 AM   #667
mckerney
Coordinator

Vikings | McQuarters Negotiations Intensified - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 22:45:58 -0700

Jody Foldesy, of the Washington Times, reports negotiations between the Minnesota Vikings and free agent CB R.W. McQuarters (Bears) have reportedly intensified. The battle for his services has apparently narrowed to the Vikings and New York Giants.

It wouldn't surprise me if McQuarters choses the Giants, but I think he'd make a good fit as a punt returnman and reserve CB/S. It would give the Vikes a chance to get rid of Howry without using Burleson to field punts.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:43 AM   #668
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The Lions were also looking at McQuarters, but I don't think they were pushing very hard for him. His versatility makes him a good fit for any number of reserve-type roles.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #669
mhass
High School Varsity

As a Bear fan, I hope he stays in the division.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #670
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
As a Bear fan, I hope he stays in the division.

I wouldn't be too comfortable if the Vikings were bringing McQuarters in to start, but on defense he'd be competing for Ken Irvin and Brian Williams for playing time. He would definitely be more of an asset in the return game.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:17 PM   #671
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
The Lions were also looking at McQuarters, but I don't think they were pushing very hard for him. His versatility makes him a good fit for any number of reserve-type roles.

McQuarters signs with the Lions. A little disappointed that the Vikings missed out on him, but with their depth at corner I'm not surprised and it's not that big a deal. Chad Morton is visiting, so perhaps he'll be the one to fill the role of returnman.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #672
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
McQuarters signs with the Lions. A little disappointed that the Vikings missed out on him, but with their depth at corner I'm not surprised and it's not that big a deal. Chad Morton is visiting, so perhaps he'll be the one to fill the role of returnman.

McQuarters back with Dick Jauron. And Bear fans everywhere rejoice.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:37 PM   #673
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
McQuarters back with Dick Jauron. And Bear fans everywhere rejoice.

Why? What happens when suckiness meets suckiness?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #674
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Why? What happens when suckiness meets suckiness?

Black hole?

Old 06-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #675
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In a move that should surprise no one Az Hakim has reached a deal (details unknown) with the Kansas City Chiefs. Not a bad move for the Chiefs. Az still has some wheels and should fit in nicely there. Then again, the last cast-off Lions WR they signed didn't work out all that well...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #676
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Black hole?

I'd like to revise this answer to "The Arizona Cardinals"

Old 06-16-2005, 07:45 AM   #677
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Is this basically the NFL Offseason thread? Cause I gotta get something off of my chest, since we're just short of 3 months until the season begins and I don't think I can take it any longer.

That fucking awful DirecTV Sunday Ticket commercial must stop!

If I have to continue to listen to that fat fuck attempting to sing, followed by cringe-worthy "performances" from Peyton Manning, Barry Sanders, and Dick Butkus, 4 or 5 times every day for the next 3 months, I'm going to kill someone. It's to the point where I almost want to give up DirecTV for 3 months just to get away from it, but I'm sure it's on regular TV as well. I'd rather watch the old CBS "I'm a BIG FAN!" ads.

And who is that fat guy? I only recognize him from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Has he done any real acting, though?

And while I'm at it, let me be the first to say that I am not looking forward to an entire football season that includes both Stuart Scott and a Super Bowl with the Roman numerals "XL." I'm already dreading the 5 dozen XL references he's jotted down over the summer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 PM   #678
Tigercat
College Starter

In a strange turn of events, KC and Az Hakim agreed to part ways days after agreeing to a one year deal. It now appears that Az Hakim will end up in New Orleans, ironic considering he provided perhaps the single greatest moment in Saints history when he fumbled a punt ensuring the Saints only playoff win.

Personally, I would have MUCH MUCH rathered us convincing Troy Brown to play the slot. But Troy took less money to go back to NE, and the coaching staff was set on wanting another veteran WR. Not sure Az is the kind of guy you want as the dependable slot WR though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:32 PM   #679
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Chiefs sign WR(?) Freddie Mitchell
Old 06-22-2005, 04:07 AM   #680
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Niners sign WR Johnnie Morton

Patriots sign KR Chad Morton

Last edited by TazFTW : 06-22-2005 at 04:30 AM.