Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FOFC PokerStars Colossal Squid tourney, #26 (6/19/2005)

Howdy all,

We had a great turnout last tourney! It was a lot of fun for those involved, and it was good to see that the "newbie bounty" brought some new faces in. Hopefully we get another great turnout!

I probably won't be able to make this event. I'm flying to Germany on Saturday, so unless I'm completely jetlagged, and up at 3am over there, don't expect me to be in the mix.

So, as another form of a bounty, I am going to offer a $15 bad beat bounty, to the person who suffers the worst "bad beat" during the event. This one will be a bit more subjective than a knockout bounty, since there can be differing levels of a bad beat. If you feel you suffered a particularly bad beat, request the hand history, and send it along with an explanation to eric.t.cartman at gmail.com. I will review the submitted bad beats and declare a winner on Monday.

BTW, this new bounty has no relation to the horrendous bad beat I received in the last FOFC event...

Code:
Tourney #8989018 FOFC Colossal Squid #26 NLHE $10+$1 Sunday, June 19th, 9:00pm Eastern Password: calamari
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Cuckoo
College Starter

Well, I'll probably play again on this one, assuming I haven't blown all my money by then. I've been playing some sit and go's and not doing too badly.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
kingfc22
Head Coach

Should be there so that Lathum can knock me out in 3rd place again.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
weekend bump
Old 06-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
RGunner
High School JV

I might be able to get there, just depends on what I am doing.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Should be there so that Lathum can knock me out in 3rd place again.
I guess I'll have to be there now
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
RGunner
High School JV

bump, just turned my last $2 on stars into $11 so if I'm home I am in to lose.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:50 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Im in, and i'll even try to last for more than 15 minutes this time.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm going to meet Coach Mike Price tomorrow night, so I won't be able to make it. But if you guys have a tournament next week I'll be able to make it for once...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
RGunner
High School JV

nobody is registered yet, whats goin on? 2 hours til game time
Old 06-19-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

Whats up? Im ready to register but i'd like to know theres gonna be more than 3 people.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #12
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Whats up? Im ready to register but i'd like to know theres gonna be more than 3 people.

My thoughts as well. I'm planning on playing, but not if there won't be at least several people.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
McSweeny
College Starter

i'll probably be in, i think i need to dump a few more bucks into my account though
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

What the heck, im still the only one.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well it looks like I am out due to technical diffulculty. I am hoping it gets resolved because I have come to depent on sunday nights boosting my bankroll
Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #16
RGunner
High School JV

im in, got nothing else to do as i am waiting on my cashouts
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

i'm in and we are up to 5, no cartman yet though and just 20 minutes to go.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #18
Cuckoo
College Starter

I'm in.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #19
Cuckoo
College Starter

About 10 minutes. Come on boys - all the cool kids are doing it.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This sucks, technical diffuculty
Old 06-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

we made it to 11.. but time is running out...
Old 06-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and it's closed. kevo is our last place finisher
Old 06-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My money is on Pumpy. I'm watching you guys!!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #24
TLK
Pro Starter

I was about to register when Gunner got knocked out. My fault for being late.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #25
RGunner
High School JV

i got knocked out by the ringer
Old 06-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #26
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
As the FOFC head cheerleader I feel it's my duty to support ALL fofc events, even the ones that steal my husband away from me on a Sunday night...so here goes...

Get a straight, get a flush
Just not the toilet kind
Give all your money to radii
Gooooo Radii!!!!

(jumps around and waves pom poms enthusiastically and does "spirit fingers")
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #27
Radii
Head Coach

have you been drinking honey?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #28
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

No, but I might go break open a bottle of wine as soon as you-know-who goes to bed. Then you'll have a drunk cheerleader on your hands!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Damn, I wish I was playing, It is obvious Radii is going to be distracted very, very soon
Old 06-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

LOL

And McSweeny is the leader in the clubhouse for the bad beat jackpot. AK vs KQ when the money gets in. Q on turn, K on river doesn't help
Old 06-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #31
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
No, but I might go break open a bottle of wine as soon as you-know-who goes to bed. Then you'll have a drunk cheerleader on your hands!
Can't believe no one has asked for pics yet.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #32
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl

Yeah, so Radii is still playing, but i'm out, so.................
Old 06-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #33
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Yeah, so Radii is still playing, but i'm out, so.................

I got sidetracked watching TV and researching PDA's online...but I see my honey is still in the game! Woo hoo - my cheer worked!
Old 06-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #34
kingfc22
Head Coach

So who won?? I had to work and didn't get out until 7.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:28 AM   #35
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Thank you for inviting me to the party. Sorry for the humdrum showing, but that's poker. It happens sometimes.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #36
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
So who won?? I had to work and didn't get out until 7.
Apoc won when I got aggressive with a pair of ours and hit a full house. I could have lasted a bit longer if I had listened to my instincts that said the reason why Apoc kept calling me was because he hit his queen on the flop and made a better full house. I realized this likelihood after the turn, but decided to push after the river because I was dominated chips wise at that point and wanted to make him show it.

One day I'll learn to be more patient heads up. And when that day comes, you will always kneel before me. Or something like that.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #37
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
LOL

And McSweeny is the leader in the clubhouse for the bad beat jackpot. AK vs KQ when the money gets in. Q on turn, K on river doesn't help
I second this nomination. I was KQ that called his all-in.

McSweeny was short stacked with 670 chips and bet 200 with Ac Ks. I raised to 600 with my Kh Qh and he capped it off with his final 70. Flop came 5s 8d 4h, which left me needing a Q or runner-runner hearts. Qc came on the turn to jam the dagger, followed by the Kc to twist it.

They were both strong hands, but I was pretty dominated with us both sharing the A. He had made 70% to 30% preflop, and he was 83% to win after the flop.

Without knowing he was AKo, I obviously felt my hand was strong and he was shortstacked, so I would still be standing -- although in pretty bad shape -- if I missed. I figured he was looking for two good cards to make a move, and I was hoping it would be a coin flip or better for me. I would probably have called his 200 if I hadn't been suited. I he had then bet all-in on the turn, I would have probably folded since I completely missed the flop.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #38
Radii
Head Coach

I knocked out honolulu blue 5th? 4th? with 88 vs KK, hit a set to bust him. that has to get some consideration considering how close to the money it was.

I got busted by apoc b/c I was an impatient bastard. I should ahve folded to his raise on the flop, I had KJ he had A-little, flop was AJx. I knew that re-raise was an ace, but I couldn't let go of my pair 3 handed.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #39
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I knocked out honolulu blue 5th? 4th? with 88 vs KK, hit a set to bust him. that has to get some consideration considering how close to the money it was.
Yeah, preflop that was a much worse hand. Considering how late it was and close to the money, that probably was the worse beat. Sorry, McSweeney ... again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I got busted by apoc b/c I was an impatient bastard. I should ahve folded to his raise on the flop, I had KJ he had A-little, flop was AJx. I knew that re-raise was an ace, but I couldn't let go of my pair 3 handed.
Worse part of my game is with a small table. I keep reassessing my game to identify my biggest weakness and then work on that. So far, I've reduced how many flops I see and I've reduced the over aggressiveness in which I play draws. I'm still working on playing weak hands. I've more or less eliminated playing something like Q8o out of position, but I still get in trouble with hands like I did last night last night with A4o. When apoc called my big raise on the turn, that should have sent me crying for mommy that he had a bigger pair. Once I hit the money, I tend to loosen my starting hand requirements a bit too much, or fall into bad habits and push a middling hand like a pair of 4s. But that's OK, because I saw Arieh do it at the final WSOP table with Raymer.

Of course, if third place in the FOFC Colossal Squid tourney was $2.5 million ...
Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Worse part of my game is with a small table. I keep reassessing my game to identify my biggest weakness and then work on that. So far, I've reduced how many flops I see and I've reduced the over aggressiveness in which I play draws. I'm still working on playing weak hands. I've more or less eliminated playing something like Q8o out of position, but I still get in trouble with hands like I did last night last night with A4o. When apoc called my big raise on the turn, that should have sent me crying for mommy that he had a bigger pair. Once I hit the money, I tend to loosen my starting hand requirements a bit too much, or fall into bad habits and push a middling hand like a pair of 4s. But that's OK, because I saw Arieh do it at the final WSOP table with Raymer.

I don't remember the exact hand in question, but IMO, shorthanded you need to be more aggressive pre-flop. The blinds are so high that it's worth picking them up, that way you can afford to lose a big hand becasuse you have accumulated the blinds. It also keeps you opponent guessing. It can put you in a great situation when you DO pick up a monster, if you have been aggresive all along they wont give you as much credit and will likely call with a marginal hand.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #41
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I don't remember the exact hand in question, but IMO, shorthanded you need to be more aggressive pre-flop. The blinds are so high that it's worth picking them up, that way you can afford to lose a big hand becasuse you have accumulated the blinds. It also keeps you opponent guessing. It can put you in a great situation when you DO pick up a monster, if you have been aggresive all along they wont give you as much credit and will likely call with a marginal hand.
It's not so much my preflop aggression as my post-flop aggression. In this particular hand I was the BB and apoc bet 400 trying to steal the blinds (100/200) and I called with A4o. In retrospect, I think it would have been a better move to either fold or re-raise, but I decided to play conservative and see the flop. I caught my pair of fours on the flop and wouldn't let them go. I bet 800 post flop and he re-raised me -- a warning sign that I should get away. I was behind the whole time and kept betting because I liked my fours -- because I'm an idiot.

The call pre-flop was questionable. I should have had the resolve to either fold or re-raise, but I was falling for the old beginner's advice that you raise if you think you have the best hand, you fold if you think you're beat and you call only if you're not sure. The only way for ME (not everyone) to have gotten away was to fold. Because if I had reraised preflop I'm certain apoc would have called and I would have still caught my pair of fours and thought they were good. It's just an aspect of the game I'm not real good at right now.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What I can tell you about that situation is this:

You should have re raised him with the ace. 3 way any ace is good and you may have gotten him out of the pot right there. If he calls your re raise procede with caution after the flop, if he 3 bets you, fold before the flop.

this isn't an insult, but it sounds like you are being outplayed after the flop. This happens alot to lesser expierienced players. With time you will learn when to be aggressive and when to muck.

The best advice I can give you is don't get caught up in how many chips you put in the pot already, once they are in the pot they are no longer yours. Once you learn to think that way it becomes much eaiser to let go of a hand.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Hello all,

I finally got an internet connection over here in Heidelberg. I only got a bad beat submission from Honolulu Blue. I see mention on here of McSweeney also getting a bad beat. Unless I get a submission for that one to review, the bad beat bounty will go to Honolulu Blue by default.