Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

PureSim Release 8.2 Now Available

8.2 has been released. It includes a significant amout of updates and fixes.

More information can be found here

- Shaun

Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Excellent!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

WOW 250 additional features and he not charging the current customers.

"Does the 8.2 update cost me anything?
No! Like the 9 previous updates (and 4 expansion packs!) we have released for PureSim 2005 this update is free of charge for all registered owners of PureSim 2005. We have added over 250 additional features, tweaks and fixes since PureSim 2005's release and we'll continue to do so over the summer. Look for another release in a few months!"

But Markus changing 10 bucks for his 6.5 expansion.

Makes you think

Dont worry i still will get ootp 6.5 for 10 bucks.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Maybe not fair

Well,

In Markus' defense OOTP is only $19.99 and PureSim is $29.99.

Shaun
Old 06-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Well,

Shaun

very true.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well,

Shaun

Yeah, but that's because OOTP 6 is over a year old now. I believe it was $30 or $35 when it was first released.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
Cydney
n00b

Anyone else having trouble downloading this??
Cydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydney
Anyone else having trouble downloading this??

Nope.. worked fine.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

For those among you who are PureSim devotees... what do I have to do to see reasonably realistic results in my baseball league, specifically in the player financial market? Do I need to go in and spend a bunch of time with this XML file? Or should this work okay "out of the box" without much adjustment?

I'd like to do my usual textsim bit-- just start up a fictional league, take over a team, and see where things go. I'm wondering what I'd need to do to have a rewarding experience doing so.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bumping... do PureSim devotees exist?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

Two basic questions for which I can't find answers on the Puresim site...

How long is the demo (assuming there is one)?

Can it be played in Windows mode--the screen shots look to be of the full screen variety?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
MJ4H
Coordinator

30 real world days

yes to windowed mode
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
For those among you who are PureSim devotees... what do I have to do to see reasonably realistic results in my baseball league, specifically in the player financial market? Do I need to go in and spend a bunch of time with this XML file? Or should this work okay "out of the box" without much adjustment?

I'd like to do my usual textsim bit-- just start up a fictional league, take over a team, and see where things go. I'm wondering what I'd need to do to have a rewarding experience doing so.

Paging lynchjim24.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Paging lynchjim24.

From the surface appearance, it seems he's gotten out of that racket. At their forum, he has a few notable posts, but it looks like nothing recent.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bought Puresim because I was actually getting board with ootp for a bit.. now I'm back to playing the heck out of ootp and Puresim has just sat here.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:33 PM   #16
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I'd like to address your post, but alas I was only able to try out 8.2 for a few days. And I didn't pay *too* much attention to everything. I like the default stats that are spit out by the game. The original XML must've been tweaked because the top homerun hitters seemed to peek around 40-45 if I'm remembering correctly (once again, wasn't paying total attention). If you start a career the PSPN will output a list of the 'Most Fearful Hitters'. It will predict some guys to hit around 60-70 homeruns, but that didn't seem to be the case. Looks like the magazine didn't get the tweak like the XML did. I'd say the stats represent what you may have seen around 1994 or so, maybe with higher batting averages.

As for the financial markets, I never got far enough to study the results. Really, your best bet may be to do an automated sim yourself of 10-15 years. If you look in the options, you'll see a way to disable certain things to speed this process up. It shouldn't take that long. The speed is much improved in the game.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Oh, and I'm not totally sure as to why the stats are the way they are, ie not 21st century-esque, but I like it. I'd say 1989-1992 was around my favorite time period in the MLB.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a fan of PureSim, but I don't know that the financial model stands up as well as FOF's. I typically play with market based financials, and select a tiny team in a division/league with a bunch of huge markets. In my latest association, my team is the Monterey Seals, and we are in a league with LA, SF, San Diego, Seattle, and Las Vegas.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #19
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
From the surface appearance, it seems he's gotten out of that racket. At their forum, he has a few notable posts, but it looks like nothing recent.

I'm still around. I'm just bored with text sims.

I saw Quik's posts over at the Puresim site, I would have anticipated everything he said there.

I hope that before Shaun adds any more features he can get Puresim to

A. Crank out MLB level stats for a 30 team league
B. Get the AI as strong as possible
C. Improve aging

I would personally love to see the removal of the 'extra' scrub free agents and only have what the game really needs.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #20
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I hope that before Shaun adds any more features he can get Puresim to

A. Crank out MLB level stats for a 30 team league
B. Get the AI as strong as possible
C. Improve aging

All three of those are a constant focus and are constantly improved. I'm actually very happy with where PureSim is at for "A". "B" is getting better and has some great tweaks coming in 8.3. Improve aging is a bit vague but I am also making some enhancements to the career arc modeling as well.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #21
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
All three of those are a constant focus and are constantly improved. I'm actually very happy with where PureSim is at for "A". "B" is getting better and has some great tweaks coming in 8.3. Improve aging is a bit vague but I am also making some enhancements to the career arc modeling as well.

I played four seasons after posting. A did seem fine. I haven't won a title yet, so maybe B is better as well (I didn't get into much detail). On C, it certainly 'seems' like players aren't ready young enough. Edit: I would say the aging on the back end of the careers is good. Just while playing I had some guys in their early thirties go in the tank.

One potential 'bug'. The debut age doesn't seem to work exactly right.

In 2005 it will say for a 24 year old
'Debuted in 2005 at age 24.'

The next year it will say
'Debuted in 2005 at age 25'

Then it says that in the years following.

I didn't check players who were created after the start of the league, this was happening to the originally created players.

One other good thing are the mass retirements. If it even went a bit farther I think it would be good, I'm not finding quality players in the free agent pool anymore, but there is still a pretty high quantity of players.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 06-20-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #22
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
On C, it certainly 'seems' like players aren't ready young enough. Edit: I would say the aging on the back end of the careers is good. Just while playing I had some guys in their early thirties go in the tank.
Last I checked, this was spot-on. Back end pretty good, but *very* few guys playing every day at ages 23-25, too few playing every day at 26 and 27, and virtually none 22 and under.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #23
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Last I checked, this was spot-on. Back end pretty good, but *very* few guys playing every day at ages 23-25, too few playing every day at 26 and 27, and virtually none 22 and under.

I think it's as simple as the high potential players developing somewhat faster. You can find the good prospects, they just don't get good fast enough between 20-25 to crack the lineup before 26.