Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

CAFTA Vote

I got pretty well hammered by some so-called economic 'experts' in a previous thread because I thought that we were getting the shaft economically with first NAFTA and now coming up CAFTA. Pretty good article I found on American Cause web supporting CAFTA defeat. If you care about it, now is the time to let your congressman know. Why is this guy's argument wrong? (I of course agree with it.)http://www.chronwatch.com/content/co....asp?aid=15155

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The guy is wacky in the article. The WTO has been biased against America?! Only when we blatently violate the rules (ie, steel tariffs). The EU has been hit just as hard (bananas). He is correct that CAFTA, like NAFTA, is not exactly free trade (unfortunetly) by strongly regulated freer trade.

His arguments that free trade would hurt US productivity is laughable. Frankly, I wonder if he thought the late 90s hurt the US economically (I say that NAFTA made the boom that much more spectacular).

I'm 100% for CAFTA, and if the Administration can get it done, I'd love it.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

CAFTA would open South American trade markets to America even more, in return for a 1% increase that the sugar lobby is petrified about. You have yet to rebut the arguements I cited about American trade policy being just as whacky in the thread in question- but that's par for the course for you.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote