Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Arrow Imperial Glory: My thoughts.

I recently bought Imperial Glory in hopes that it would be a winner. Albeit good, the game is no competition to RTW. The graphics are awesome but not as good as RTW's. If they were both civil war movies RTW would be Gettysburg and Imp. glory would be a History channel re enactment.
Now for my gripes:
Unit sizes are way too small, infantry regiments (usually 1000 men) are reduced to 60. and the most units you can have on a battle field is 18.
All infantry units are virtually the same with no real advantages given to elite units like Royal guards or Black Watch regiments. Oh and to my surprise milita units seem to be the most powerful in the game. a group of 60 can overwhelm more expensive units. I would have prefered militia having weapons but slower to load.
Cav units also suffer from the same fate.
THE only saving grace during the battle are the cannons. Nothing beats 12 pounders chewing a whole regiment to bits in a matter of minutes. Divided into Howitzers and 6-12 lb. guns. Could have been better if Grapeshot and other types of rounds were instead of the cannon ball.

Sea batles are crap....enough said.

Oh the AI is crap. they abandon their positions (which are victory locations) when my army is winning. thereby being annihilated.
Overall though the battles are fun (they just become click fests), but I really dont get attached to certain units or cheer them on like I do in MTW or RTW.
Just wait for this to be in the 19$ section.

Last edited by CHEMICAL SOLDIER : 06-06-2005 at 06:21 PM.
CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Critch
lolzcat

I haven't played it myself, but one of my friends emailed me with a 'warning' to avoid it til play-balance problems had been worked out and the AI improved. His main gripe was that battles were pointless as almost every battle would result in 90% plus of all the troops being wiped out. Even if you won a battle, you'd be left with virtually nothing left. 'A wargame for pacifists' was his exact description.

Pity, it looked nice if very derivative of the Total War series.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Does anyone else have trouble running the demo? The battles will play for 10 seconds and then give me the blue screen of death (which has never happened to me on my current comp)
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I haven't played it myself, but one of my friends emailed me with a 'warning' to avoid it til play-balance problems had been worked out and the AI improved. His main gripe was that battles were pointless as almost every battle would result in 90% plus of all the troops being wiped out. Even if you won a battle, you'd be left with virtually nothing left. 'A wargame for pacifists' was his exact description.

Pity, it looked nice if very derivative of the Total War series.
I have noticed that from the start as well. I would virtually wipe out the enemy army and be left with 300 men or less.

I also don't like that there's no morale factor or option for individual regimental commanders to raise a white flag when his unit is getting mauled. I mean we are in the age of chivalrous warfare.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
Critch
lolzcat

Saw this yesterday in Best Buy for $19.99. How big a flop does a game have to be to go from full price to 20 bucks in 2 weeks?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Saw this yesterday in Best Buy for $19.99. How big a flop does a game have to be to go from full price to 20 bucks in 2 weeks?

Gah'! I should have listened to my brother.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The only true Imperial glory is winning the Imperial Bowl. This game is trying to live off of our good name and I am pissed about it, they make us look bad.