Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Real Estate-Motivated Seller?

What does this mean exactly? I'm guessing that it means that they are willing to accept less than their asking price, and do stuff like pay for closing just to offload the property? Anyone have any ideas?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

no but it sounds creepy to me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Yeah, that's part of it.

I think a lot of times it indicates that the seller's new home purchase is dependent upon the sale of their old home.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

im in real estate and that is a ridiculous marketing term.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
im in real estate and that is a ridiculous marketing term.

Yeah, in theory, it means the seller is willing to take less (or well less) than the offering price, but in reality, it is just meant to drum up interest and offers (maybe a bidding war) on the house.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This house has been on the market for a long time(like 7-8 months). While im sure you all live in happening places, the market kind of sucks around here. So they may just want to sell at this point.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Seeing 'motivated seller' on the MLS sheet (or whatever listing service you use) can mean that he is willing to make a deal and could be flexible on several items and will probably get back to you in a reasonable amount of time without dicking around. Or it could be a marketing technique. Either way, i usually feel it out because there could be some good deals there. I've gotten places at less than half of what they were listing for from motivated sellers.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Where do you live in PA? Or is that Palo Alto. I live pretty close to New Castle.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

all sellers are motivated by something, I just think it silly to put that out there because like the ninety - nine at the end of pries eventually it'll be everywhere and we'll just take it for granted.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

From the Simpsons when Marge was going into Realty...

Marge: It's awfully small...
Lionel: I'd say it's awfully -- cozy!
Marge: That's dilapidated.
Lionel: Rustic!
Marge: That house is on fire!
Lionel: Motivated seller!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Where do you live in PA? Or is that Palo Alto. I live pretty close to New Castle.
Pennsylvania, I live on the other side of the state though in Montgomery County, near Philly.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
AgustusM
College Prospect

Great Article on the Subject in Wired Magazine, adapted from the book "Freakonomics" which is one of the most interesting books I have read in some time.

Cracking the Real Estate Code
Is your agent really working for the enemy? A user's guide to home economics (and how to beat the expert industry).

It's one of the biggest bets you can place on another person: You hire a real estate agent to sell your home.

She sizes up its charms, snaps some pictures, sets the price, writes a seductive ad, shows the house aggressively, negotiates the offers, and sees the deal through to the end. Sure, it's a lot of work, but she's getting a nice cut. On the sale of a $300,000 house, you'll typically pay a 6 percent agent fee of $18,000. That's a lot of money. But you tell yourself that you never could have sold the house for $300,000 on your own. The agent knew how to - what's that phrase she used? - "maximize the house's value." She got you top dollar, right?

A real estate agent is every bit the expert. She is better informed than you about your home's worth, the state of the housing market, even the buyer's frame of mind. You depend on her for this information.

As the world has grown more specialized, countless such experts have made themselves similarly indispensable. Doctors, lawyers, contractors, auto mechanics: They all enjoy informational advantage. And they use that advantage to help you.

Right?

Information can be a beacon, or information can be a cudgel; it depends on who wields it and how. In any transaction, it's common for one party to have better information than the other. In the parlance of economists, this is information asymmetry. There's value in asymmetry; it's the reason why someone, such as a consumer, will pay someone else, an expert, for his knowledge.

Of course, sometimes an expert might manipulate his advantage for his own benefit. If your doctor suggests that you have an angioplasty - even though current research suggests that angioplasty often does little to prevent heart attacks - your first thought won't likely be that the doctor is using his informational advantage to make a few thousand dollars for himself or his buddy. But as David Hillis, an interventional cardiologist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, explained to The New York Times, a doctor may have the same economic incentives as a car salesman or a funeral director or a mutual fund manager: "If you're an invasive cardiologist and Joe Smith, the local internist, is sending you patients, and if you tell them they don't need the procedure, pretty soon Joe Smith doesn't send patients anymore."

Or consider these findings of a 1996 medical study: Obstetricians in areas with declining birthrates are much more likely to perform cesarean section deliveries than obstetricians in growing areas - suggesting that when business is tough, doctors may try to ring up more expensive procedures.

The Internet, of course, is all about smoothing over these asymmetries; in one industry after another, from life insurance to used cars, the Web has eliminated the expert's upper hand by giving once-exclusive information to the online masses. But some industries have been slow to change - real estate among them.

The best way to observe information asymmetry at work is to measure how an expert treats you versus how he performs the same service for himself. Real estate provides the perfect opportunity, since housing sales are a matter of public record, and real estate agents often do sell their own homes. Recent data covering the sale of nearly 100,000 houses in suburban Chicago show that more than 3,000 of those houses were owned by agents.

Before plunging into the data, a question: What is the agent's incentive when selling her own home? Simple: to make the best deal possible. Presumably, this is also her incentive when selling your home; after all, her commission is based on the sale price. And so your incentive and the agent's incentive would seem to be nicely aligned. But commissions aren't as simple as they seem. First of all, a 6 percent commission is typically split between the seller's agent and the buyer's. Each agent then kicks back half of her take to her agency. Which means that only 1.5 percent of the purchase price goes directly into your agent's pocket.

So on the sale of your $300,000 house, her personal take of the $18,000 commission is $4,500. Still not bad, you say. But what if the house was worth more than $300,000? What if, with a little more effort and patience, she could have sold it for $310,000? After the commission, that puts an additional $9,400 in your pocket. Yet the agent's additional share - her personal 1.5 percent - is a mere $150. So maybe your incentives aren't aligned after all. Is the agent willing to put out all that extra time and energy for just $150?

There's one way to find out: measure the difference between the sales data for houses that belong to real estate agents themselves and the houses they sold on behalf of clients. Using the information from those 100,000 Chicago homes, and controlling for any number of variables - location, age and quality of the house, aesthetics, and so on - it turns out an agent keeps her own home on the market an average of 10 days longer and sells it for an extra 3-plus percent, or $10,000 on a $300,000 house. When she sells her own house, an agent holds out for the best offer; when she sells yours, she pushes you to take the first decent offer that comes along. Like a stockbroker churning commissions, she wants to make deals and make them fast. Why not? Her share of a better offer - $150 - is too puny an incentive to encourage her to do otherwise. So her job is to convince you that a $300,000 offer is in fact very good, even generous, and one that only a fool would refuse.

This can be tricky. The agent doesn't want to come right out and call you a fool. So she merely implies it - perhaps by telling you about the bigger, nicer, newer house down the block that has sat unsold for six months. This is the agent's main weapon: the conversion of information into fear. Consider this true story, related by John Donohue, a law professor who in 2001 was teaching at Stanford University: "I was just about to buy a house on the Stanford campus, and the seller's agent kept telling me what a good deal I was getting because the market was about to zoom. As soon as I signed the purchase contract, he asked me if I would need an agent to sell my previous Stanford house. I told him that I would probably try to sell without an agent, and he replied, 'John, that might work under normal conditions, but with the market tanking now, you really need the help of a broker.'"In five minutes, a zooming market tanked. Such are the marvels that can be conjured by an agent in search of the next deal.

So a big part of a real estate agent's job is to persuade the homeowner to sell for less than he would like while at the same time letting potential buyers know that a house can be bought for less than its listing price. To be sure, there are more subtle means of conveying this information than blatantly telling the buyer to bid low. The Chicago study also reveals how agents exert influence through the listings they write. A phrase like "well maintained," for instance, is full of meaning to an agent - the house is old but not quite falling down. A savvy buyer will know this (or find out once he sees the place), but to the retiree who is selling the house, "well maintained" might sound like a compliment, which is just what the agent intends.

An analysis of the language used in real estate ads shows that certain words are powerfully correlated with the final sale price of a house. This doesn't necessarily mean that labeling a house "well maintained" causes it to sell for less than an equivalent house. It does, however, indicate that when an agent labels a house "well maintained," she is subtly encouraging a buyer to bid low.

So consider the terms in the box on the previous page: A "fantastic" house is surely fantastic enough to warrant a high price, right? What about a "charming" and "spacious" home in a "great neighborhood!"? No, no, no, no, and no.

In fact, the terms that correlate with a higher sales price are physical descriptions of the home itself: granite, Corian, and maple. As information goes, such terms are specific and straightforward - and therefore pretty useful. If you like granite, you might like the house; but even if you don't, "granite" certainly doesn't connote a fixer-upper. Nor does "gourmet" or "state-of-the-art," both of which seem to tell a buyer that a house is, on some level, fantastic.

"Fantastic," meanwhile, is a dangerously ambiguous adjective, as is "charming." These words, it turns out, are real estate agent code for a house that doesn't have many specific attributes worth describing. "Spacious" homes, meanwhile, are often decrepit or impractical. "Great neighborhood" signals to a buyer that, well, this house isn't very nice but others nearby may be. And an exclamation point in a real estate ad is bad news for sure, a bid to paper over real shortcomings with false enthusiasm.

If you study an ad for a real estate agent's own home, meanwhile, you see that she emphasizes descriptive terms (especially "new," "granite," "maple," and "move-in condition") and avoids empty adjectives (including "wonderful," "immaculate," and the telltale "!"). She patiently waits for the best buyer to come along. She might tell this buyer about a house nearby that just sold for $25,000 above the asking price, or another house that is the subject of a bidding war. She is careful to exercise every advantage of the information asymmetry she enjoys.

But even the agent's advantage has been eroded by the Internet. After all, anyone can now get online and gather information about sales trends and housing inventory and mortgage-rate tremors. And recent sales data is starting to show the results. Agents still get a higher price for their own homes than for comparable homes owned by their clients - but since the proliferation of real estate Web sites, the gap between the two prices has shrunk by a third. The information has been set loose.

Adapted from Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, copyright © Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, published by William Morrow. Levitt is an economist at the University of Chicago. Dubner is an author and journalist.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...ate&topic_set=

Last edited by AgustusM : 06-13-2005 at 11:28 AM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have found Wired to be the most reliable magazine I read, since getting a subscription about a year ago. And I did like this piece as well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I have found Wired to be the most reliable magazine I read, since getting a subscription about a year ago. And I did like this piece as well.

I highly recommend the freakonomics book - fascinating.

http://www.freakonomics.com/

Last edited by AgustusM : 06-13-2005 at 12:02 PM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote