Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
bryce
High School Varsity

Soccer Strategy - can someone explain?

For the first time, I'm actually starting to follow the MLS and be a semi-fan. Along with that, I've played around with some demo text sims and whatnot, but I'm lost as to the approach to take with strategies, with respect to computer gaming.

Not formations, necessarily - those I think I have a grasp on as far as which to use based on my personnel. What I don't get, though, is the various gameplans - ie, direct passing, long ball passing, short passing, all out offense/defense, etc etc - I know what each is, what they look like, yada, but what eludes me is the thought process behind choosing each.

Do certain strategies coincide with certain formations? Or are strategies more dependent on my personnel? Or my opponent's personnel? Etc etc.

Input is greatly appreciated. (I hate losing...)
Thanks ya in advance.

bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Direct Passing is the "Safe Pass" mode for me. Don't make a pass unless you can draw a line direct from you to me. Usually ends up with a lot of passes in midfield, with some switching of the ball from side to side.

Short Passes is somewhat similar, but you can make short through passes (ie, passes into open space for someone to run on to..

Long Passes.. well they call it Route 1 soccer in England, and that describes it. Hoof and hope. But it can really spring someone.

Strategy wise, well, if you have a lot of crappy passers, you'd probably want direct passes.. less chance to give up the ball. Got taller folks, or their midfield is muych better then yours? Bypass midfield with the long ball and hope to spring someone.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not sure I agree with that definition to be honest... the way I understand it and the way I understand FM works is that direct passing will result in less passes in the midfield - more chance your center back will hit it straight to your winger or forward bypassing other players. I agree about the bit about the straight line... you pick the most direct ball you can make and go for it.

Short passing will result in more passes and a slower build up as your players will knock the ball around before looking for a more direct pass. Midfielders with good passing, first touch and vision are absolutely key here.

The way I understand it, Long Balls tells your player to hoof it forward at every opportunity, Short Passing will result in a lot of short passes and movement, and Direct is somewhere inbetween the two.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think the strategy you invoke would be more dependant on your personnel and a bit on your opponent's. For example, if you are badly outclassed in the midfield, you might want to go with long ball tactics to try to avoid any possession there at all. As far as formations go, I think any of the main or standard formations can be adapted to any strategy you want to employ, so there isn't really a need to change a formation to suit your strategy.

The best bet is to probably always play to your strengths, and if your opponent is able to neutralize all of them, then any strategy you change to isn't likely to change the outcome anyway.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote