11. High Limit E. Prado R. Frankel 12-1
12. Afleet Alex J. Rose T. Ritchey 5-2
13. Giacomo M. Smith J. Shirreffs 6-1
14. Going Wild R. Albarado D.W. Lukas 30-1

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

While the morning line doesn't really mean anything, it does reflect the degree of "respect" being given the Derbvy winner - not much.

However, I confess I'm not too wild about the 13 post for Giacomo, and I will almost certainly be bettgin against him. I think HIGH LIMIT is intriguing, especially picking up Prado, and after his very nice workout since the Derby (when he was basically pulled up). I'll also keep an eye on how NOBLE CAUSEWAY is proceeding, thinking maybe he needed a race and will be more tuned up this go-round. (I have a certain history of picking a Derby horse, abandoning him just to see him win the Preakness) I agree that AFLEET ALEX ought to be the race favorite, though.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-18-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
mhass
High School Varsity

Damned if I don't get High Limit and High Fly confused. The favored of the two was my choice at the Derby and continues as such in the Preakness.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
bbor
Pro Starter

With a full field of 14 hosses it is obvious that the other trainers/owners think the Derby winner does'nt stand a chance in the Preakness.

I like Wilco in this race and he is at a good price IMHO.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Forget Wilco. He's done and had too many chances.

My bomb is Greeley's Galaxy and would consider Alex, Closing Argument and maybe High Fly in the mix.

I think Giacomo with be thoroughly trounced.

Alex and High Fly will be underlays so put me down for Galaxy and Argument.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Let's see how I can overanalyze yet another Derby race and fail in the progress.

Alex to win. 1 million dollars.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

How can you NOT bet on a horse called Sun King?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Noble Causeway, of course....
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

For fre past performance data from DRF:

http://www.drf.com/row/pps/05preakness.pdf

I think my only bet on this race will be a win bet on HIGH LIMIT, allowing me to ignore NOBLE CAUSEWAY at my own peril.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

You'll get your price with High Limit.

Not sure he'll get the correct pace scenario here...lot's of gas to his inside. Maybe Prado can relax him but blinkers on suggests they will be on the engine.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #11
Blackadar
Retired

After this race, Giacomo will have a whole new career...

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:51 AM   #12
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

The Preakness looks too contentious for my liking. AFLEET ALEX should win this, but then, he should've won two weeks ago.

I'll take a further look when the odds start coming in, but I'm inclined to look for value elsewhere.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
Suicane75
Coordinator

I put a large chunk on NC and cover my bases with Wilko and Giacamo. Keep in mind I know nothing about horsies.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Tigercat
College Starter

Did I just see Sun King at 20-1? If there hasn't been some change that has dropped him like a rock, that might be a decent bet. As much as I liked Wilko in the Derby, I dislike him in this race. I don't think it will play to what strengths he has right now.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
TLK
Pro Starter

I know nothing about horse racing....

Went with Wilko at 12-1 ($25)

and Wilko (+110) over Nobel Causeway ($50)

Last edited by TLK : 05-21-2005 at 04:59 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I just got home from the satellite center

$5 exacta box Noble Causeway, Closing Argument, Sun King

$1 Tri Key Afleet Alex with Noble Causeway, Sun King, High Limit, Closing Argument with Noble Causeway, Sun King, High Limit, Closing Argument

$5 Tri Closing Argument/Sun King/Wilco

$10 Win High Fly
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Exciting final turn.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looks like we all got left behind.

Unbelievable scare for the front two at the turn - on the repolay, it's schocking how close ALEX was to going down.

Best horse won the race today -- NBC's replay did him a lot of justice, it was an excellent ride by Jeremy Rose, once again.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #19
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

How Afleet Alex remained upright looked like something of a miracle. Those are falls that get horses destroyed if those legs break like twigs.

Speculative questions...if both horses crashed and Giacomo takes the win, would he continue to get disrespected at the Belmont? Further, if he won at Belmont, would his Triple Crown achievement have been tarnished by the Preakness win?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes and yes, probably. It would be very hard to argue that Giacomo was in position to win at the point of the mishap. If they had tangled, but everyone else just ran around them, and Giacomo ended up winning, there's little doubt that racing experts would be on it like the Zapruder film.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-21-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #21
mhass
High School Varsity

I completely missed the near fall at the turn until I saw the replay, but that was amazing. His finish was almost equally impressive. He had started quite a charge when he stumbled and whether the horse was spooked by the mishap or whether he is just a closer, the finish was very impressive.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #22
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

It's almost a little annoying that the exacta paid so much.

If ALEX had gone down but not SCRAPPY T what is the outcome after the inquiry, assuming that SCRAPPY T wins?

GIACOMO/SUN KING/HIGH LIMIT?

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 05-21-2005 at 08:48 PM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

About that, I reckon. That assumes that the spill wouldn't affect any of the horses in those outer paths... Giacomo may have been compromised most of that lot, actually, as I think he was more or less behind the leaders in the 3-4 path at that point.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-21-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #24
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

1 million dollars at 5-2. Not bad.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #25
Franklinnoble
Banned

Afleet Alex ran like a stud. Best race I've seen all year.

I hope to see him in the Belmont.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What a terrible performance that field gave.

Nobody fired except for Alex and Scrappy T. Alex ran a 112, T around 104 and the rest failed to crack 100 Beyer.

Curious the tactic on High Fly. Broke well from the 2 hole but Bailey took him back and ended up getting screwed 5 wide. Seems to me with blinkers on breaking from the inside the play is fire up into the lead. Considering they went 23/46 that horse could have finished 2nd or 3rd.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #27
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
What a terrible performance that field gave.

Nobody fired except for Alex and Scrappy T. Alex ran a 112, T around 104 and the rest failed to crack 100 Beyer.

Curious the tactic on High Fly. Broke well from the 2 hole but Bailey took him back and ended up getting screwed 5 wide. Seems to me with blinkers on breaking from the inside the play is fire up into the lead. Considering they went 23/46 that horse could have finished 2nd or 3rd.

Well, this year's 3yo's are weak. But, then again, that's been the story for the last 20 years or so. Breeders aren't breeding stamina anymore. We're lucky to have thoroughbreds that can walk a mile and a half, much less run it.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Well, this year's 3yo's are weak. But, then again, that's been the story for the last 20 years or so. Breeders aren't breeding stamina anymore. We're lucky to have thoroughbreds that can walk a mile and a half, much less run it.

I don't debate that. If sound I can't see any horse we've seen other than Bellamy Road making much of a race with Alex in the Belmont.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #29
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think Alex is a great unknown for the Belmont. Look at his Debry effort -- there' no reason to believe he was unsound or unfit, he took the lead in the stretch, and then basically staggered home for the final quarter, getting caught by a pretty pedestrian effort from the two top finishers.

I don't have a horse that can beat him... not yet. But this is exactly the kind of horse who looks like the best of the lot, but should not be bet with any enthusiasm at the Belmont Stakes. I like Afleet Alex, I think he was the best horse in the field for both races, but I will, in all likelihood, be betting against him in three weeks.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think in the Derby he suffered much the same fate as Bellamy Road...too close to that pace. He looks like a middle move, one run type and I'm guessing he made his move into a 109 for 6 furlongs.

The pace was much better for him to make that big move again coming in the stretch.

The Belmont is a tricky race though, you are correct. I remember proclaiming that Go For Gin "can't lose" rounding the far turn.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #31
Tigercat
College Starter

I am still quite an idiot when it comes to horse racing, so excuse this question if its based off stupid or incorrect assumptions, but if you lengthen the Preakness track to the length of the Belmont, is it possible that Giacomo makes the race a little more interesting with his late run, or at least make a run for second? I didn't expect Giacomo to finish another race as strongly as he did in the Preakness, but now given that he has again shown the ability to close well and that Belmont is as long of a race as it is, is it too much of a stretch to think that Giacomo will be the horse to challenge Afleet?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
I am still quite an idiot when it comes to horse racing, so excuse this question if its based off stupid or incorrect assumptions, but if you lengthen the Preakness track to the length of the Belmont, is it possible that Giacomo makes the race a little more interesting with his late run, or at least make a run for second? I didn't expect Giacomo to finish another race as strongly as he did in the Preakness, but now given that he has again shown the ability to close well and that Belmont is as long of a race as it is, is it too much of a stretch to think that Giacomo will be the horse to challenge Afleet?

Traditionally the Belmont is won with forwardly placed horses. It's a common error(at least IMO) to assume longer distances benefit deep closers.

I attribute Giacomo's 3rd to simply the other horses not firing. He was 10 lengths behind the top 2.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

While I agree with rkmsuf above, I also will not rule out Giacomo as a contender for the Belmont. If I can't find a forward-placed horse with good distance breeding, my second choice will be a horse with any running style with good distance breeding.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #34
FishFan
College Prospect

INDY STORM
FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #35
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, for this year's Belmont, I will probably try to take a stab at a value pick, but I don't feel al that good about it. ANDROMEDA'S HERO looks like he has the sort of distance breeding that you'd look for (I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of Fusaichi Pegasus get in the next few years) for this race, and while he won't be forwardly placed, if the race falls apart (read: If AFLEET ALEX runs out of gas) somebody has to pick up the pieces. At 15-1 in the morning line, and with others seeming getting more attention (maybe ultimately giving better than the 15?), I guess this is a decent value horse.

I do really like #6 JUDY SODA in Belmont's 4th race, which is my best bet of the day at 5-1. She looks like the best filly in the field, running much better after taking blinkers off at the start of this year, and is in against a nominal favorite who is inexplicably stretching out from a comfy 6f to an unknown 1 1/16 miles.