Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

X-box or Playstation

I am finally now that price drops appear to be just about done for the current consoles and next gen systems are on the way to break down and pcik up either a PS 2 or aX-box. Waht do peopel recommend? I can't affrod , well the Mrs. won't sign off on getting both so I got to choose one or the other. I am leaning to an X-box.This is mostlt based on the fact that most game sare released for both consoles but some good games come out only for X-box not usually PS2 only. So, I feel I won't miss much by getting a x-box.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I am finally now that price drops appear to be just about done for the current consoles and next gen systems are on the way to break down and pcik up either a PS 2 or aX-box. Waht do peopel recommend? I can't affrod , well the Mrs. won't sign off on getting both so I got to choose one or the other. I am leaning to an X-box.This is mostlt based on the fact that most game sare released for both consoles but some good games come out only for X-box not usually PS2 only. So, I feel I won't miss much by getting a x-box.

I would say Xbox as well. Faster load times, built in HD, network card and most games look better. I love the ps2 controller, so a logitech wireless or an s controller is a must for an Xbox. Some refurbs come with s controllers.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I would say Xbox as well. Faster load times, built in HD, network card and most games look better. I love the ps2 controller, so a logitech wireless or an s controller is a must for an Xbox. Some refurbs come with s controllers.

Todd

Ditto
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

XBox. I was a big PS2 person from the day it came out, but last year I went down and bought a XBox, I play it a lot more then my PS2. It just seems quicker and nicer looking. The only downside to XBox is that you have to pay to play online.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
This is mostlt based on the fact that most game sare released for both consoles but some good games come out only for X-box not usually PS2 only. So, I feel I won't miss much by getting a x-box.

Agree.
The only important exception to this is Gran Turismo 4, which is only for PS2. But now, with Forza Motorsport, Xbox users have a great racing simulator. With online gaming, too.
I'd say pick the Xbox. I have it, it's great. I think the hardware and the graphics are also slightly better than the PS2, because it's more recent. Then you got hard disk and Ethernet adapter.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
mhass
High School Varsity

It's worthwhile to note that Xbox is intended for adults more than PS2. It has larger controllers with longer cords for bigger hands further from the TV. Microsoft also limits the number of 'kiddie' games on the Xbox. I say Xbox too, but check around for the way to tell which drive manufacturer is in the machine you buy. I didn't and I get Dirty Disc Errors constantly.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What type of games do you like to play? That should be what drives your decision.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

At this point, I wouldn't consider buying either one. I'd wait for the XBOX 360.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

I can't afford a x-box 360 since I guess it will be close to 400 bucks right not including games just for better graphics no thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
What type of games do you like to play? That should be what drives your decision.

SI

Agreed. Take a look at the games library for all 3 and see which ones best match your interests. For the most part, there's not a lot of difference in the libraries of the PS2 and the Xbox. Each have a few exclusives which may sway your decision. The vast majority of games though are available on both the Xbox and PS2, and in most cases, the Xbox version will look and sound better, and the advantage of the hard drive in saves and load times will be a major plus. It should be noted that some games come out first on the PS2 and you have to wait a while for the Xbox version, most notably the RockStar Games releases like Grand Theft Auto. However, this late in the life cycle of both consoles, this issue probably isn't a big one.

The GameCube doesn't share as many titles as the PS2 and Xbox, and it's not as well represented in sports games. However there are some great Nintendo exclusives which lean toward the younger demographic and/or people that are really into Japanese-style games.

What kinds of games do you think you'd most be interested in?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Agreed. Take a look at the games library for all 3 and see which ones best match your interests. For the most part, there's not a lot of difference in the libraries of the PS2 and the Xbox. Each have a few exclusives which may sway your decision. The vast majority of games though are available on both the Xbox and PS2, and in most cases, the Xbox version will look and sound better, and the advantage of the hard drive in saves and load times will be a major plus. It should be noted that some games come out first on the PS2 and you have to wait a while for the Xbox version, most notably the RockStar Games releases like Grand Theft Auto. However, this late in the life cycle of both consoles, this issue probably isn't a big one.

The GameCube doesn't share as many titles as the PS2 and Xbox, and it's not as well represented in sports games. However there are some great Nintendo exclusives which lean toward the younger demographic and/or people that are really into Japanese-style games.

What kinds of games do you think you'd most be interested in?

Mostly sports games ,RPG like fable and Morrowind and RTS.Jade Empire is the game that is pushing me along with NCAA 2006.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-25-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The PS2 is probably a little stronger in the RPG department, but you can get by on the Xbox. Given the other genres you mentioned, I'd suggest the Xbox.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

If you like platformers, PS2 is the way to go, with titles like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Jak and Daxter. Like most people say, most games look better on the Xbox, and the customizable soundtracks are great for games like Burnout 3.

From the sounds of it, you'd probably prefer the Xbox.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

Xbox.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mostly sports games ,RPG like fable and Morrowind and RTS.Jade Empire is the game that is pushing me along with NCAA 2006.

If you like sports, FPSs, and American RPGs- then you're going to be most pleased with the X-Box (*cough*philistine*cough*)

SI

Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

On Fable, I'd wait for the PC release of it (Fable: The Lost Chapters). It'll be a much bigger game as they've been adding to it. (And the PC of Morrowind for that matter).

On a personal note, I usually play my XBox more than my PS2. If a game comes out for both, I end up getting the XBox version. So my vote goes to XBox.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you like sports, FPSs, and American RPGs- then you're going to be most pleased with the X-Box (*cough*philistine*cough*)

SI

Fucking elitist.

So what game genres are the "enlightened" people playing...
Old 05-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't afford a x-box 360 since I guess it will be close to 400 bucks right not including games just for better graphics no thanks.

It's more than just better graphics; there's also some 'common sense' improvements in the way of peripheral support. Same thing with PS2.

As for 'can't afford,' all of the numbers being bandied about are purely analysts' speculation right now, why not wait until official pricing is released before you make that decision?

The most common gripe I hear from people at work is that "Everytime I buy a new system, something bigger and better comes out a year later," and they don't even stop to realize that the reason why is that they wait 'til the end of the lifecycle and buy it for $150 instead of applying that $150 towards the purchase of that 'something bigger and better.'

I'm with Bee on that one. The price of Xbox and PS2 isn't going to go *up* if you wait for the official Xbox 360 pricing announcement, and you may find that the system is more affordable than you thought it would be.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

Let's kindly remember that it took an American RPG to make the Japanese go nuts over the genre before we start slinging words like 'philistine' around.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
It's more than just better graphics; there's also some 'common sense' improvements in the way of peripheral support. Same thing with PS2.

As for 'can't afford,' all of the numbers being bandied about are purely analysts' speculation right now, why not wait until official pricing is released before you make that decision?

The most common gripe I hear from people at work is that "Everytime I buy a new system, something bigger and better comes out a year later," and they don't even stop to realize that the reason why is that they wait 'til the end of the lifecycle and buy it for $150 instead of applying that $150 towards the purchase of that 'something bigger and better.'

I'm with Bee on that one. The price of Xbox and PS2 isn't going to go *up* if you wait for the official Xbox 360 pricing announcement, and you may find that the system is more affordable than you thought it would be.

But even if the new system is only $300, the games are still going to be expensive (maybe even $60 instead of $50). When you factor in all the existing games that are $20 or less now, I think if you are looking to play games on a small budget, it only makes sense to go with one of the current generation consoles.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:10 PM   #22
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

So far it seems the next-gen games are going to be $60 from what I've been reading. Someone even said that you could start pre-ordering on ebgames and it was 60, but I haven't checked on that yet.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #23
Tara
Mascot

I think the X-box is really better.

I had the same problem when, last year i decded to bought a console. In the end I decided for the X-box and I'm really satisfied about that.
The main 2 reasons because of I took the microsoft's console are:
-better graphic
-Hard disk ( the memory card thing is really annoing)
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Fucking elitist.

So what game genres are the "enlightened" people playing...
Yeah, see that's the thing- it's just not 2 or 3 genres. Play everything. The first 10 games on my Gamecube shelf are F-Zero, Wave Race, NBA Street Vol 2, Viewtiful Joe, Timesplitters 2, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, and SoulCaliber 2. (note: I picked my first shelf rather than my second since it's more sorted with stuff like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Metroid- essentially the Nintendo shelf)

Do you only watch comedy and romantic comedies at the movies or do you eventually watch everything if you've heard "it's a good movie"? Same with games- sure, I prefer adventure and rpg's just like I prefer action and suspense movies but it's not the only thing I play. I see so many gamers, especially this generation, who only have 2 or 3 genres on their shelf (the FPS, stealth, sports XBox shelf being the most prominent) with absolutely nothing else up there either because their system doesn't support it or they just don't care. And it's not about cost- I have 30 Gamecube games and only 7 have been bought at full price (or received as gifts likely at full price), heck, above $30 so that's 23 games, all quality, for $30 or less and that's for the "weakest system" this generation.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-25-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

The only thing I learned from this thread is that nintendo is fucked.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, see that's the thing- it's just not 2 or 3 genres. Play everything. The first 10 games on my Gamecube shelf are F-Zero, Wave Race, NBA Street Vol 2, Viewtiful Joe, Timesplitters 2, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, and SoulCaliber 2. (note: I picked my first shelf rather than my second since it's more sorted with stuff like Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Metroid- essentially the Nintendo shelf)

Do you only watch comedy and romantic comedies at the movies or do you eventually watch everything if you've heard "it's a good movie"? Same with games- sure, I prefer adventure and rpg's just like I prefer action and suspense movies but it's not the only thing I play. I see so many gamers, especially this generation, who only have 2 or 3 genres on their shelf (the FPS, stealth, sports XBox shelf being the most prominent) with absolutely nothing else up there either because their system doesn't support it or they just don't care. And it's not about cost- I have 30 Gamecube games and only 7 have been bought at full price (or received as gifts likely at full price), heck, above $30 so that's 23 games, all quality, for $30 or less and that's for the "weakest system" this generation.

SI

I understand your what you're saying, but the only area I see where the GameCube surpasses the PS2 and Xbox is in the area of "Japanese"-style games, for lack of a better description.

I play a number of different style games - my most played games have been the EA NCAA football series, Halo & Halo 2, RallySport 2, LotR: Return of the King, GTA 3 and Vice City, Simpsons Road Rage and Soul Calibur 2. I haven't bought any games in a while, but I'm sure there are quite a few more that I'd enjoy a great deal - I just haven't had much time to play.

I'd certainly enjoy some of the more unique games you find exclusive to the GameCube, but not enough that I'd want to own it instead of an Xbox. I may eventually buy a Nintendo system in addition to an Xbox360 or PS3 (I haven't decided yet which one I'd prefer), especially because of the potential for playing many of the old NES favorites, but I'm simply more interested in the kinds of games that the Xbox and PS2 do best right now.

And for the record, I watch all kinds of movies.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #27
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

You could buy the Xbox 360, use its backward compatablity and pick up the $20 XBox titles. By the time the PS3 launches, the Xbox 360 launch titles would have dropped in price.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #28
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Xbox no question for me. Online gaming is my #1 priority.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #29
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
But even if the new system is only $300, the games are still going to be expensive (maybe even $60 instead of $50). When you factor in all the existing games that are $20 or less now, I think if you are looking to play games on a small budget, it only makes sense to go with one of the current generation consoles.

If you're looking to play games on a 'small' budget, go buy a Super Nintendo or a Genesis for $20, and pick up their library of games for $3-5 per title.

Even with games at $20, how many games is he going to need to buy to justify the purchase of the $150 system? Is he going to be okay with only owning two or three games for it? Five?

Note that I'm not disparaging that if that is what he's looking at getting it for, but we gotta be honest here - retail shelf space is limited. Stores phase older titles out for newer stuff all the time, and as shelf requirements grow for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the allotments to PS2 and Xbox will shrink dramatically.

We currently allot a single column of one rack to PlayStation titles. Granted, that's nearly five years after the launch of the PS2, but even within about a year of the launch, PS2 games were taking up 7 of the 8 allotted racks, with PSX games reduced to a single rack.

I don't know if the Xbox and PS2 shelf space will shrink quite thatrapidly, but there's still going to be a limited window for him to get these games from regular retail. After that, the primary outlet is going to be GameStop/EB Games (since they've merged, I count them as one entity) and other similar outlets, and even they tend to allot far more shelf space to preowned PS2/Xbox titles than to PSX/Dreamcast.

Like I say, don't get me wrong. If an Xbox is what he wants, and he's not interested in waiting to see what the market profile of Xbox 360 ends up being, more power to him.

I just think that the example you cited above would make more sense with 12+ months to go before the next system launch, not less than six months.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #30
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Note that I'm not disparaging that if that is what he's looking at getting it for, but we gotta be honest here - retail shelf space is limited.

Something tells me that he has the internet, which means there's no such thing as a hard-to-find Xbox game.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote