Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

HELP:Young Kids on Intercontinental Flight

I will be relocating back to the Boston area after living overseas in Asia for 11 years and got a question. Does anyone have any advice for slowing down a young kid on a 18 hour airplane flight. Our daughter is 2 1/2 years old and are wondering if there is any safe thing to give her to help her sleep on the flight other than a couple of shots of Jack.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-24-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Tranquilizer darts.

Alternately, figure out whatever pill they always gave B.A. Baracas and slip 'er some of them.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Benadril.

My wife and are adopting from China and I am dreading the flight back with our baby and eight to ten others. I really pity the poor bastards stuck on our flight.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I second the Benadril suggestion. It'll knock 'em the fuck out...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Not that this really matters, but the title should be Inter-Continental. Trans-Continental flights are cross country.

I aggree with Benadril, but that will only take you so far. Get a portable DVD player and start teaching her now how to watch a movie with headphones on. Bring plenty of her favorite videos on the plane, that will help as well.

Also, go ahead and let her run up and down the aisles during the flight. It will bug the other passengers to a lesser degree than keeping her strapped into her seat and screaming will.

Bring plenty of snacks and drinks, particularly for the landing and takeoff which will hurt her ears.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
Not that this really matters, but the title should be Inter-Continental. Trans-Continental flights are cross country.

I aggree with Benadril, but that will only take you so far. Get a portable DVD player and start teaching her now how to watch a movie with headphones on. Bring plenty of her favorite videos on the plane, that will help as well.

Also, go ahead and let her run up and down the aisles during the flight. It will bug the other passengers to a lesser degree than keeping her strapped into her seat and screaming will.

Bring plenty of snacks and drinks, particularly for the landing and takeoff which will hurt her ears.

Yeah thanks that makes sense the Intercontinental thing.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Just tell her that if she misbehaves, the plane will crash and she'll kill everybody. It will be all her fault.

Worked well the last time I flew. Told that to the little boy behind me. His Mom, sitting next to him, seemed really angry that she hadn't thought of it herself! I think she told the stewardess about the great idea, because after she called one over, they both moved. I think they went around telling the other parents about my great idea!
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Benadril.

My wife and are adopting from China and I am dreading the flight back with our baby and eight to ten others. I really pity the poor bastards stuck on our flight.

You're adopting 8 to 10 kids? I know China has a population problem but dude...you don't have to solve it alone.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown
Just tell her that if she misbehaves, the plane will crash and she'll kill everybody. It will be all her fault.

Worked well the last time I flew. Told that to the little boy behind me. His Mom, sitting next to him, seemed really angry that she hadn't thought of it herself! I think she told the stewardess about the great idea, because after she called one over, they both moved. I think they went around telling the other parents about my great idea!

Bah. My son would call that bluff right away, and giggle hysterically the whole time.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #10
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
You're adopting 8 to 10 kids? I know China has a population problem but dude...you don't have to solve it alone.
I smell a sweat shop in the works!
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I smell a sweat shop in the works!

Don't let Martha find out about it or she might snuff you out.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Tranquilizer darts.

Alternately, figure out whatever pill they always gave B.A. Baracas and slip 'er some of them.

Definately watch some A-Team for some ideas. Slip something in your milk, and then when she is suspicious of her milk, she will drink yours, and be out the whole flight. Conversely, if you drink the milk, you won't have to deal with her the whole flight as you will be knocked out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

I have no idea, but I am thankful I will not be on your flight.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

Duct tape.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Finally you guys figured me out. I've been working on a line of FOFC themed clothes. With help from some guys at Nike I'm preparing to produce roughly 1000 units a week. When the Malasian site fell through I came up with the idea of "adopting" Chinese kids. It'll take a few years to get them work ready, but then I've got a good 14-15 years before they're adults. Check out my web site www.crueltyfullclothing.com!
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
wishbone
High School JV

For a cross-country flight with our (at the time) 1 year old, our pediatrician recommended benadryl. She had us test for a paradoxical effect (where the medicine has the opposite effect) first and we knocked the kid out for about half the flight. Try sitting next to older grandparent types if you can spot them, we did and they were more understanding and tolerant of the various issues we had. It kind of made their day to hold our son too which was nice as it gave us a break. You should also call the airline or check their website and see what they do to accomodate families. Meal timin and pre boarding services really help.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

For a flight that long, I don't know what to recommend. For cross-country trips, we've had good luck taking redeye flights... the little ones just crash out right after takeoff...
Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'd suggest head phones and sleeping pills.

Once you're out, she's someone elses problem.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #19
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I will be relocating back to the Boston area after living overseas in Asia for 11 years and got a question. Does anyone have any advice for slowing down a young kid on a 18 hour airplane flight. Our daughter is 2 1/2 years old and are wondering if there is any safe thing to give her to help her sleep on the flight other than a couple of shots of Jack.
I've flown with young kids before and I don't envy you - I'd recommend taking her favourite toys and flying Virgin (if possible) because they have films local to the seats on such flights if it hasn't changed in the last couple of years .... a disney movies normally helps a lot.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Benadril.

One of my best friends and his wife did this six or eight years ago, and they returned on a flight from China to LAX with 21 adopted babies who were still just getting to know their new families. It was apparently brutal, and that didn't even come from one of the unlucky bastards randomly stuck on the flight.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Duct tape.

Ok, so maybe you want to poke some air holes in it but I can't be expected to think of everything.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Sound proof container and bung them in the overhead baggage thing.

That's fucking horrible.

Peoples luggage could get stinky.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #23
Critch
lolzcat

Sound proof container and bung them in the overhead baggage thing.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #24
st.cronin
General Manager

Why not just check the kid? That'll also give you some more 'spread out space.'
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

Next question this one is from Mrs. Galaril. Any suggestion on how to clean up a baby after she has taken a dump on a flight.She is still in diapers.It is a good question those airplane bathrooms are almost too small for me to take a shit. I guess as Robin Williams once said trying to clean baby shit with those little handie wipes is liking handling nuclear watse with oven mitts.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Benadryl is the only thing that I would recommend as safe at that age that you can get OTC. However, be warned that about 10% of children under the age of 13 have a paradoxical reaction and become MORE hyper on Benadryl.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:02 AM   #27
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Next question this one is from Mrs. Galaril. Any suggestion on how to clean up a baby after she has taken a dump on a flight.She is still in diapers.It is a good question those airplane bathrooms are almost too small for me to take a shit. I guess as Robin Williams once said trying to clean baby shit with those little handie wipes is liking handling nuclear watse with oven mitts.
Every intercontanental flight that I have been on always has at least one bathroom with a changing table. It is usually the same one that is handicap accessable. First chance you get figure out which one or if there are several that you can use.

Don't use those little bitty wet wipes, spend the extra money to get Huggies' or Pampers' 7x7.5 inch wipes. They are worth every penny, particularly in cases like this. Also bring your own pad to put on the changing table because planes don't have the paper ones, and as a former cleaner of those planes I can attest to the fact that they don't often get cleaned.

If all else fails, flip up the armrest between two seats and do it there (again, use your pad so that the seat doesn't get crap on it). People may not like to see you changing a diaper in near them, but it is all part of life and your baby needs to be taken care of.

You can dispose of the diaper in the restroom trash can. Even if it stinks, it is a bathroom, it is supposed to stink.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 AM   #28
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Benadryl is the only thing that I would recommend as safe at that age that you can get OTC. However, be warned that about 10% of children under the age of 13 have a paradoxical reaction and become MORE hyper on Benadryl.

Good point, also, I have a good friend whose son is severly alergic to Benadryl. Make sure that you give her some several days ahead of time to see what her reaction is. You don't want to discover at 30,000 feet that she has a bad reaction to the medicine.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:55 AM   #29
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Benadril.

Threadjack:

What agency are you using? Do they require both parents to travel? Also, I would be interested in a full report after you are back.
randal7 is offline   Reply With Quote