Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Yea or Nay on the trade?
Great trade for me 0 0%
Good trade for me 6 16.22%
It's a wash 3 8.11%
Bad trade for me 24 64.86%
Horrible trade for me 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Fantasy Baseball Trade

Ok, in a league with my buddies from College, a friend of mine offered me this trade. I'm almost tempted to do it, but I'm not sure...so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

H2H league, here are the offensive stats:
Runs, HRs, RBIs, Average, SBs, Total Bases

I give:
Albert Pujols (1B, LF, 3B eligibility)
Nomar Garciaparra

I get:
Alex Rodriguez
Hideki Matsui

Currently I have Pujols playing 1B, with Helton at my Infield Utility slot, so Helton can replace Pujols in the lineup.

I think it's an interesting proposal...and if Matsui has a good year (20+ HRs, decent average) I could win. But I think Matsui is a little too iffy...what do you all think?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I agree. Matusi is to iffy.

I think you will get ripped if you make the trade. Garcipara and Arod are both injury prone and could both wind up injured. Arod is already injured. So basically you give up the verstaille Pujos and much more productive for Matusi.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle

I think you will get ripped if you make the trade. Garcipara and Arod are both injury prone

http://baseball-reference.com/r/rodrial01.shtml

Injury Prone eh? He's played in 148-162-162 games the past three seasons.

He did miss 33 games in 99 when he got hurt on that play IIRC where he took a head to his knee turning a double play, I'd hardly call that injury prone however.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe injury prone was the wrong word. He does seem to get injured in spring training (I know this year and they were a couple of other years) and I would be afraid that it would lead to a long term injury. That being said, I would take him on my team in a heart beat, but not at the price of two great players.

He could just not like spring training, who knows.

On a side note, his salary jumped from $4.5 mil to $22 mil.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Maybe injury prone was the wrong word. He does seem to get injured in spring training (I know this year and they were a couple of other years) and I would be afraid that it would lead to a long term injury. That being said, I would take him on my team in a heart beat, but not at the price of two great players.

He could just not like spring training, who knows.

On a side note, his salary jumped from $4.5 mil to $22 mil.

Maybe if they just don't play - noone will get hurt.

I wouldn't make the trade - I have zero faith in Matsui and if Pujols really is 22 - then those are some awfully special numbers he has put up so far. Throw in the stories on the Mia Hamm/Nomar off-season workouts and I was trying like hell to trade for him in my league.

There aren't many trades for ARod that don't look good - but this one is a lot to swallow.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #6
oykib
College Starter

Pujols is the important one in this deal. That 3B eligibility is too valuable to give up easily. There aren't any other .325-30-120 third baseman. Why he's not at third for you, I don't understand. Since Chipper moved to left, no one in the majors can give you that produiction at third.

Somebody's third sacker either sucks or will go down later this year. That's when you should move Pujols, if you don't need him, for your needs.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

It's a little bit risky as Matsui might be a bust. Even with ARod, I still wouldn't do it if I were you.

Last edited by tucker342 : 03-21-2003 at 08:17 PM.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:30 AM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

While dealing high-caliber players like this is always risky, I just want to offer my belief that now is the time to pursue Matsui. I know people here are saying he's too risky, and for this particular deal, that may be true.

But I firmly believe that he will be a top-shelf rotisserie player, very good BAvg and very solid power. And I do not believe it will take him an adjustment period to deliver- he should be very solid this year.

So maybe not this deal... but if the guy who has Matsui in your league is trying to seel him at "market price," I recommend that you look to make that deal. By the first of June, I think Matsui will be worth $10 more than he is right now, in the marketplace of public roto opinion.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:36 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I see the horror of a future containing 50 polls a week seeking advice for fantasy sports.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:35 AM   #10
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
While dealing high-caliber players like this is always risky, I just want to offer my belief that now is the time to pursue Matsui. I know people here are saying he's too risky, and for this particular deal, that may be true.

But I firmly believe that he will be a top-shelf rotisserie player, very good BAvg and very solid power. And I do not believe it will take him an adjustment period to deliver- he should be very solid this year.

So maybe not this deal... but if the guy who has Matsui in your league is trying to seel him at "market price," I recommend that you look to make that deal. By the first of June, I think Matsui will be worth $10 more than he is right now, in the marketplace of public roto opinion.

I couldn't disagree more, but that could just be my feelings about the signing creeping in .
Old 03-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #11
Vince
Pro Starter

Thanks for the input guys...

Great points Quik...I think I might look into getting Matsui, however the guy is really interested in Pujols, so I'm not sure a trade would work. We'll see however...

EDIT: I also forgot that I told him he was welcome to check out this thread to see how you guys thought of it, as he's my roommate. So getting Matsui for cheap might not be an option anymore
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 03-22-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

Sorry Quik, I have to disagree too...

Matsui isn't a pull hitter, which is problem #1 for any lefty who plays in Yankee stadium.

Add in the fact that he was awful in his (brief) time against major league pitching in Japan, and how I feel he WILL have a somewhat large period of adjustment, I think it would be better to look elsewhere.

If I had to predict his numbers for this year, I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of .275, 20 HRs, 80 RBIs. Awful? Not at all. But nothing special from a fantasy standpoint. And you can get those numbers from plenty of OFs who will also give you some steals.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's a wash, but Pujols elgibility at numerous positions is incredible valuable.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I still think your going to get ripped here. Sure Arod will probably be more offensively productive than Garcipara, but I think Pujos is still to valuable to give up for Matusi.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #15
oykib
College Starter

I think that some of you guys are really underestimating Matsui. Really, living in Japan I had some idea of the ridiculous pressure that he was under during that exhibition series.

Matsui is a really good hittter. This is a guy that will be successful even if he's not on top of his game. He will walk 100+ times this season. So, even if he only bats .270, he's going to have an OBP of around .400. In the Yankees lineup, batting fifth most of the time, that's going to translate into near 100 runs and 100 RBI. If he's on pace for that in June or July, you can expect him to really loosen up and start putting up numbers.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote