Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Napster Confusion

Why does Napster make it sound like you can sign up for $14.95 a month and download all the music that you want with no per song charge?? Then you go on to read about it and they tell you "as a member you can purchase Track Packs to download music at discounted prices."

Am I way off on this? I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe they use the same advertising agency as Blockbuster?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Maybe they use the same advertising agency as Blockbuster?

Beat me to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
scooter
High School Varsity

There was a feature on the national news the other night talking about the new Napster. According to that report the $14.95 a month you pay to Napster is to "rent" the music. The files are specially encoded so that they only work on certain MP3 players. Once you end your membership, you will no longer have access to the music.

At least that was my understanding of the report.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
There was a feature on the national news the other night talking about the new Napster. According to that report the $14.95 a month you pay to Napster is to "rent" the music. The files are specially encoded so that they only work on certain MP3 players. Once you end your membership, you will no longer have access to the music.

At least that was my understanding of the report.
Now that part does make sense. I think that is what they were calling their "Napster On the Go" feature.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

No offense to anyone posting but you guys are acting like fine print is something new to the year 2005. Obviously Blockbuster wasn't going to let people keep new releases for months and after the lawsuit you weren't going to be able to download 1000 songs from Napster for $15. Do the attorney generals really have to get involved representing idiots?

I can understand if my mom signs up for a contest and buried in the fine print it changes her long distance service to $50 a minute. But all you have to do is read Blockbuster or Napster's ads to know what the real deal is.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
No offense to anyone posting but you guys are acting like fine print is something new to the year 2005. Obviously Blockbuster wasn't going to let people keep new releases for months and after the lawsuit you weren't going to be able to download 1000 songs from Napster for $15. Do the attorney generals really have to get involved representing idiots?

I can understand if my mom signs up for a contest and buried in the fine print it changes her long distance service to $50 a minute. But all you have to do is read Blockbuster or Napster's ads to know what the real deal is.
No...I knew that fine print wasn't a "new" thing...I was just having a hard time...while "reading" Napsters ads...understanding what was all included in their $14.95 per month deal. Downloading unlimited songs for $14.95 per month did indeed seem like a unrealistic deal...but of course like Blockbuster...they were making it difficult (of course) to know exactly what you were getting. So I just came on here to get clarification.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 02-24-2005 at 10:10 AM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

That's Attorneys General to you, bub.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #9
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.

I won't bore you with the long story, but the moral is that I won't ever deal with them again. If I were you, I'd look elsewhere.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
No offense to anyone posting but you guys are acting like fine print is something new to the year 2005.

If by "fine print" you mean "buried through about 4 links through the proper FAQ questions to find it", then yes that's new (which is what I had to go through to find any hint of the buy/restocking fee at blockbuster.com).
Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Turd Ferguson
Mascot

I used the free trial of Napster. You are able to download almost any song you want and listen to it on your computer. However you can't burn any songs to cds without paying 99 cents a track for them. You can put them on an Mp3 player for no additional fee to my understanding.
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The moral of the story is------I HATE METALLICA
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #13
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I used the free trial of Napster. You are able to download almost any song you want and listen to it on your computer. However you can't burn any songs to cds without paying 99 cents a track for them. You can put them on an Mp3 player for no additional fee to my understanding.

I think the news story I mentioned previously stated that it required a special kind of MP3 player (the story mentioned that only 6 MP3 players currently exist) for the music to play on.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
I think the news story I mentioned previously stated that it required a special kind of MP3 player (the story mentioned that only 6 MP3 players currently exist) for the music to play on.

No doubt it would have to be one that supports their flagging of the files...else you would be able to burn them as well.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone still use this service?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Why does Napster make it sound like you can sign up for $14.95 a month and download all the music that you want with no per song charge?? Then you go on to read about it and they tell you "as a member you can purchase Track Packs to download music at discounted prices."

Am I way off on this? I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

Well, can download them to your PC - but they don't work in anything but Napster - or you can import them to your MP3 player at no extra charge. You just have restrictions on what you're allowed to do with it.

They're probably working in cahoots with the folks from Blockbuster, who still are licking their wounds over that promotional gone awry.

I think Rhapsody (listen.com) has a lot more music than Napster. I have memberships to both, though my Napster is set to cancel this month because I don't use it. It's better if you want the newest music faster to download and burn. For Rhapsody, it's far better if you're listening to it and want to chill and stream stuff at home. And their catalog is huge.